A Different Direction..............

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've been pondering about 3D printing for a while - I have the over 15 years experience of CAD modelling to draw on and I've been doing a lot of research & watching videos on the subject.
I've considered UV Resin curing resin printers, but the post printing clean up and curing, make it rather impractical in my flat. This really leaves FDM machines & I've been been reading reviews & looking at prices. I've looked at & discounted pre-owned printers - they're complicated machines & troubleshooting an iffy second hand machine isn't for a first time user!
I've finally ordered an Anet A6 printer. This comes as a complete DIY assembly kit, and there's nothing like getting familiar with a gadget, than building it yourself. I'll be using PLA filament initially, then PET-G, if all works out.
I used 3D rapid prototyping services during my workdays & I know the principles, but translating them into solid objects may be a different matter.
The thing should be here next week, so I'll hopefully be able to post some updates!
Dave

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I've been pondering about 3D printing for a while - I have the over 15 years experience of CAD modelling to draw on and I've been doing a lot of research & watching videos on the subject.
I've considered UV Resin curing resin printers, but the post printing clean up and curing, make it rather impractical in my flat. This really leaves FDM machines & I've been been reading reviews & looking at prices. I've looked at & discounted pre-owned printers - they're complicated machines & troubleshooting an iffy second hand machine isn't for a first time user!
I've finally ordered an Anet C6 printer. This comes as a complete DIY assembly kit, and there's nothing like getting familiar with a gadget, than building it yourself. I'll be using PLA filament initially, then PET-G, if all works out.
I used 3D rapid prototyping services during my workdays & I know the principles, but translating them into solid objects may be a different matter.
The thing should be here next week, so I'll hopefully be able to post some updates!
Dave
Good luck with it Dave. I’m sure you will find it an absorbing interest that will compliment your modelling.

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
I've finally ordered an Anet C6 printer. This comes as a complete DIY assembly kit, and there's nothing like getting familiar with a gadget, than building it yourself. I'll be using PLA filament initially, then PET-G, if all works out.
Dave
if you are looking for inspiration/help look on youtube for

unclejessy
vegoilguy ( vogman )
modbot
3dprintingpro

I find them all very interesting and honest about what can and cant be done, or how to get a printer to do something it maybe wasn't supposed to be able to do.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave

You're a brave man. I look forward to seeing how you get on with assembly of the device and the printing.

John

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Good luck, Dave, especially with the PETG. I've had very little success with it.
For what it's worth, my opinion is that resin is the more useful process for our hobby, just wait till you start trying to post process the build layers in an fdm print -have a look at my steampunk gun...
With careful placement Iof supports and judicious separation of parts,there's a lot less work with resin,and much better resolution for small parts

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I may have given the impression this was instead of modelmaking, far from it - it's going to supplement it. Whilst I was doing the Inbox Review of the HobbyBoss HMS Agamemnon, I noted that it had no methods of display, several times I've thought that a simple custom made base would be ideal for a subject. Hence the interest in 3D printing ( at least one reason ) - I'm not expecting to be able to produce detailed models, maybe just additions/jigs/aids.
I know that printing is a slow business, times more in hours than minutes, so there should be plenty of benchtime.
For what it's worth, my opinion is that resin is the more useful process
Yes, but having buckets of IPA for post-processing, not to mention the resin itself & fumes associated isn't really feasible in my flat ( assuming I still want to live in it at the same time.! ) I know that water washable resins are available, but you still have the problem of disposing of contaminated water.............

Dave

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Good luck, Dave, especially with the PETG. I've had very little success with it.
For what it's worth, my opinion is that resin is the more useful process for our hobby, just wait till you start trying to post process the build layers in an fdm print -have a look at my steampunk gun...
With careful placement Iof supports and judicious separation of parts,there's a lot less work with resin,and much better resolution for small parts
Sorry Dave, I just re-read your post, and your point about the smell of resin in your flat is very valid

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
FDM is very good for things like display bases, as you say.
You could easily create custom trays for your waterline models, with a moulded frame surrounds integrally printed. And I personally don't find the build layers irritating in that context.
Here's what I did with my Scots Grey Base https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/54mm-charge-of-the-scots-greys.33190/page-27

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Sorry Dave, I just re-read your post, and your point about the smell of resin in your flat is very valid
I only moved to an airbrush properly after I started using acrylics! Solvent based paints left a lingering aroma - especially using Alclad II - I'm sure I could taste that weeks afterwards. If I had a garage, or shed, then yes, UV printing would be my choice, but moving house is a bit extreme! :tongue-out3:
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I know that water washable resins are available, but you still have the problem of disposing of contaminated water.............
Though I have exactly zero experience with it, can’t you leave the pot of water in front of a UV light (or in the sunshine) so that the resin in it hardens and comes out, then pour it through a fine sieve (like a piece of fine-woven cloth) to get the bits out?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Good luck Dave. Keep us informed with how you get on. Most interesting.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've finally ordered an Anet A6 printer. This comes as a complete DIY assembly kit, and there's nothing like getting familiar with a gadget, than building it yourself. I'll be using PLA filament initially, then PET-G, if all works out.
Dave
Mmmm,
I see what you mean Dave,
... However,where exactly do you go with this?!!..
I've seen pretty much ALL of your purchases over the last few years,and been astounded by just how much you've acquired ;) ..
.... Are you seriously going to move on and leave all those behind? ... Surely you already have enough to keep you going for ever?!! ;)

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Mmmm,
I see what you mean Dave,
... However,where exactly do you go with this?!!..
I've seen pretty much ALL of your purchases over the last few years,and been astounded by just how much you've acquired ;) ..
.... Are you seriously going to move on and leave all those behind? ... Surely you already have enough to keep you going for ever?!! ;)
No, the 3D printing will hopefully be an extension of the model making, the stash is too extensive to abandon it!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Had a spool of 1 kg of PLA filament delivered today - wasn't expecting this until next week. I had an email confirming that the 3D printer will be delivered tomorrow - actually quite excited about this! Shows how mundane my life is in the Autumn/Winter!
Dave

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Had a spool of 1 kg of PLA filament delivered today - wasn't expecting this until next week. I had an email confirming that the 3D printer will be delivered tomorrow - actually quite excited about this! Shows how mundane my life is in the Autumn/Winter!
Dave
No Dave this is the FUTURE!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good luck with it Dave!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sounds like a real fun learning curve ahead Dave. Good luck with it….