A Different Direction..............

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Dave

Sorry to hear that.... Stay safe.

Love the work by the way!
ATB.

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A day late - but this is the Anet A6 built by my self, and with a few upgrades - first I printed out a new part cooling fan duct ( invisible )
I added a magnetic build plate, which seems to have cured my problems with models not sticking.
I got electric shocks from the exposed mains supply (!!), so printed a cover, added a 3-pole fused socket ( note the cork mat to prevent vibration )
DSCF4112.JPGDSCF4113.JPG
The final upgrade is a top mounted filament spool holder - I'm a bit dubious about this- having a 1 kg weight mounted high up may vibrate a bit, but I'll have to keep on the print quality
DSCF4114.JPG
At the moment I don't intend to do any more upgrades - and try to concentrate on what I'm printing, not adding more bells & whistles for the printer itself.
I'm still feeling the after effects of my hypo yesterday, so That's it for the day - I'll be using FreeCad to create my own models.
What was the damage?
Hardware - The printer cost £89 delivered I added a magnetic build plate £15.50, then a 3-pole plug socket £3.50. Cork matting ( ant-vibration ) £4.99
Consumables - PTFE grease £8.99, then 3 kg of PLA filament , pricers ranging from £8.99 to £10.99
All the above prices include p&p.
As this was a DIY kit, you do have to have a certain amount of mechanical ability, and to be able to solve minor problems. To create the files for the printer, you have to use a computer, mine is a long in the tooth PC, which runs Windows 10, but can't run the latest Slicer programmes - but using older versions hasn't thrown any problems up, yet . There are loads of free models available ( Thingiverse ), but if you want to create your own, you'll have to learn a CAD programme - there are several free ones available, but it does take time! And time!! Printing models takes time - for a big model, printing times can be many hours,. even days, so instant results aren't going to happen.
If this sounds a bit daunting - it can be! I probably wouldn't have started on this if I hadn't known the basics, and many years as a design engineer means I don't have any fears over CAD.
For those that have stuck with me all the way, thanks, I hope it has been informative!
Dave

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
You're doing great Dave, a lot of progress in a short window :thumb2:

I used to have a power supply that shook me too, I added a wire from the metal-housing to my central-heating-radiator to 'ground' it, worked great so you might want to check for a better 'grounding' socket, might be better for the electronic board as well...

Have fun and cheers

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
You're doing great Dave, a lot of progress in a short window :thumb2:

I used to have a power supply that shook me too, I added a wire from the metal-housing to my central-heating-radiator to 'ground' it, worked great so you might want to check for a better 'grounding' socket, might be better for the electronic board as well...

Have fun and cheers
The problem with this power supply was that the live & neutral wires could touched, without any effort! The cover & earthed socket will solve that problem! The mainboard is on the other side of the printer, and aside from a 12V+/- cable, there's no connection between the two ( the frame is acetate )
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice up date Dave that price is way below what I expected to see , even in a kit form. Your understanding of CAD will be your advantage over many others attempting this real black art.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Glad you're recovering. As Steven said you've come a long way in a short time. Like John I imagined the cost would be much higher.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I imagined the cost would be much higher.
that price is way below what I expected
Luck played a big part, just spotting the lot on ebay! The cost could be much higher, by adding things like auto-bed levelling & filament break detector, but these are not essential. The average price of an entry level printer seems to be around the £150 mark, with only very minor assembly needed...........
The latest have high-speed printing, wi-fi control dual extruders & touch screens - and the cost reflects this - there are 'Delta' printers which print really fast, and are really expensive. One of the things on YouTube is to have a camera on the build plate, so you can check the progress on your mobile & record a stop frame video record of your print. Very nice, but a bit overkill! I suppose a professional who runs a printer 'farm' would be the market.........
Dave