a question !! if you could build any model (kit or scratch) what would it be and why ??

W

windymiller

so i will start this off with my choices which are a few !!! every car and bike ive owned, painted in the same colours number & plate on (3d nostalgia) , a model of my dads windmill (my family have owned a windmill for 137 years, dad once built a 6ft high model of it but it got blown over and at 89 he cant re build it) and lastly a model of the timber frame of the barn we live in (we converted it (well i havent actually quite finished it) and itd be nice to have just a miniture of the frame itself

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Alan,
Not sure I can answer this I have so many favourites. It will be interesting to see the other choices.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Alan
I would say classic British motorcycles and cars (50s and 60’s) to the modern Tamiya standard.......most military stuff is pretty well covered these days, but you try to get a BSA Goldstar or Triumph Bonneville....or even a decent Jaguar E type....

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Alan well I always liked windmills like your dad an one day I decided to build one an a pics of it with the missus an its about 6ft tall but the main model I will be building will be a ship an that's HMS TIGER in 1/72 scale an full r/c an the reason well I like the ship pure an simple

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It would be really nice to have a DC3 - or any variant thereof - in 1/48 or larger. The Revell kits are getting seriously old so it's about time someone else came out with one. I saw a trial version in 1/32 or 1/24 at one of the shows a couple of years ago, but I've not seen anything about it since.

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I would really like to build a model of HMS Royal Oak - My Great Uncle Bill Royal was one of over 800 who died in 1939.
Not found a kit of this ship, although similar ships are available, I would be glad to hear if anyone knows different !f5509040-bfd8-4cb8-998e-8d6d3ad4fa72.jpgIMG_0424.JPG

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
if you could build any model (kit or scratch) what would it be and why ??

Many (not all :smiling3:) of the ones I have in my stash and/or in a partially finished state, for the reason that good ideas are far quicker to come up with than models can be built.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
would the tiger be a kit chris or scratch built ??
Its gonna be a scratch build Alan ive already bought the plans on 6 sheets in 1/72 she will be about 8ft long so it will have hull joint in it for ease of transport to an from the boating lakes.But I havnt started it yet due to the fact its got to be built in the garage in warmer wheather an im havin trouble at the moment of sourcein the material as the local model shops keep closein down so I have to hunt for it on the web an send for whatever I will need to build her an its gonna be a long build im afraid. But then again my big USS NIMITZ aircraft carrier build was 7 yrs so should plenty of pics on here
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I would really like to build a model of HMS Royal Oak - My Great Uncle Bill Royal was one of over 800 who died in 1939.
Not found a kit of this ship, although similar ships are available, I would be glad to hear if anyone knows different !View attachment 333320View attachment 333322
[/QU
HI Steve fleetscale models do the hull I think an the extra's to build a model why not have a go if you have the time there is no hurry just do a bit at a time like I do an he looks a fine gentleman
chris

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Same as Jakko really. All the kits i have in my stash i would love to build. Although a really decent (Wing Nut Wings type detail) 1/24 Fw190 A8/R2 would be an ultimate build for me

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A tough question. Totally pants at scratch building so here we are talking dream kits...
1/200 WWII Ark Royal
British classic motorcycle s in 1/6 from Tamiya, a Vincent black shadow, Triumph, that kind of thing.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If it's supposed to be a kit that exists, the I would have to say the 1/35 Scammel tractors and tank transporter.

Reactions: JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Building something from the stash would be fun. I have scratched up a conversion of the Steyr 1500A1 to a Steyr 2000A for my current project. If I had one shot to build/scratch a kit, it would probably be an F 108 large cable trailer used for V2 launch work and looks like this,
The trailer frame is available as a resin kit, but the body, doors, reels and the rest must all be scratch built. I just love a challenge...…….

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Alan, always liked nightfighters once i get a few more large scale planes out of the way as practice, I plan to do some 219's. Got the Tamiya one and 3 1/32 revells. Been hunting down some bargains on the web