A quiet corner of Kent 1940. Battle of Britain 1/72

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Having never attempted a 1/72 dio. of a crashed aircraft, this proved to be a real challenge.

The inspiration came from the B.O.B. movie where the crashed Polish pilot was mistaken by a farmer for a German and marched off. Well spotted Adrian (JFJ)

I need to thank IanM for the idea of water depth in his great Russia dio. and Steve (stona) for his information and pictures following my P/M to him asking whether Bf109 hinged hoods could be jettisoned prior to a forced landing. (They can!) Cheers boys!

As to the dio, you will probably have read how I made it but the construction of the pond might be of interest:-

I wanted to get close to Ian's 'water' but without buying anything if poss. I find this part of dio. making the best...Scratching around for stuff! I eventually found a picture in the loft, where instead of thin glass, it had very thin perspex. I cut this to the shape of the pond and kept it off the bottom by around 10mm. then I placed the aircraft on it and marked around it where it would sink in and tucked the port wing under the perspex to make it look as if it was just under the surface.

The two figures are both from a 1/72 set of German soldiers. One you might recognise from my 'Partizan Attack dio. last seen on a wagon roof! The other one is actually a gunner with his ears covered during the firing of his cannon. I have tried to portray him stripped to the waist, having a quick scrub in the horse trough and not noticing the farmer's approach.

"ands behind yer 'ead, jerry!"

Enough waffling, here are the pictures (well half anyway!)

I hope you enjoy them. It was a challenge to be sure...

All comments, suggestions and money gratefully received.

Thanks again for following this buld,

Ron

View attachment 28833

View attachment 28834

View attachment 28835

View attachment 28836

View attachment 28837

View attachment 28838

View attachment 28839

View attachment 28840

View attachment 28841

View attachment 28842

View attachment 28843

View attachment 28844

View attachment 28845

View attachment 28846

View attachment 28847

View attachment 28848

View attachment 28849

View attachment 28850

View attachment 28851

2010 Nov GB 049.jpg

2010 Nov GB 065.jpg

2010 Nov GB 048.jpg

2010 Nov GB 061.jpg

2010 Nov GB 052.jpg

2010 Nov GB 067.jpg

2010 Nov GB 079.jpg

2010 Nov GB 060.jpg

2010 Nov GB 078.jpg

2010 Nov GB 074.jpg

2010 Nov GB 062.jpg

2010 Nov GB 072.jpg

2010 Nov GB 064.jpg

2010 Nov GB 055.jpg

2010 Nov GB 043.jpg

2010 Nov GB 071.jpg

2010 Nov GB 069.jpg

2010 Nov GB 083.jpg

2010 Nov GB 054.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sky Raider

Well Ron, you really hit the top score there again, absolutly fantastic and a real work of art. You must be proud mate. 5 Stars from me.

Andy

F

Fenlander

Well Ron, what can I say? Beautiful concept, superb planning, amazing idea, stunning execution, sublime photography, believable story telling. Sorry, not a lot more I can say, I am just in awe of what you turn out Ron. Has to be a Five Star jobbie. Just superb.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Really nice work Ron! The forced landing looks really convincing and in 1/72 too! The figures are brilliant in that scale.

Excellent 5 stars from me *****

All the best

Paul

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Yet another cracking dio Ron! You do tell some wonderful stories through these little scenes you create. *****

Gern

W

wanna_be_aviator

The idea is brilliant! Looks very natural, really like a real scene. Five out of five, this takes the cake!

K

Kressy13

Hi Ron,

What can I say that hasn't been said already. Truly amazing mate. 5 from me too.

Cheers

Kresten

D

dm73

Ron, excellent work on the dio, a well deserved 5 stars from me. The photography sets it off a treat,:respect2:

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Great work Ron, how are you going to top this one matey. Five from me too.

Have fun, John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ron mate, unbelievable! As usual an excellent idea turned into a stunning scene,your ability to draw the viewer in and tell a story is second to no one. 5 star job , even though theres no bucket!! cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I have just read all the marvellous posts for my diorama. I am so chuffed you all approve and think it worthy of the big 5. Thank you.

If my efforts and others on this forum, inspire at least one modeller to feel like havng a go at a diorama for the first time, no matter how simple then I will be a very happy bunny.

Thanks again to all my 'Friends' out there.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hello all, I've received a very nice P.M. from our Luftwaffe buff Steve (stona) pointing out a small inaccuracy on the Bf109.

When the pilot jettisoned the hood, not only did the rear canopy, along with the antenna go with it, but also the armour plating being attached to the canopy behind the pilot's head went as well!!

Thank you for pointing it out and no I don't mind you letting me know...That's why we are all here, to learn from each other.

So just for you Steve to prove that contrary to my wife's belief, I do listen to people is a picture minus the armour plate.

Thanks again for all your help during this build.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 28943

2010 Nov GB 084.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cheers Ron,it's always a bit delicate pointing out such a minor thing. Thanks for the piccy,you can never have too many of a smashing little diorama like that.

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Cheers Ron,it's always a bit delicate pointing out such a minor thing. Thanks for the piccy,you can never have too many of a smashing little diorama like that.Steve
A lot depends on the recipient of the 'Advise', some will spy their rear ends. Me? I'm firmly entrenched at the other end of the modelling spectrum......

Like anything in life it's one long learning curve and if anyone thinks they are above honest and fair advise or criticism then they are very sad and dillusioned people.

Thanks for the nice comments too Steve.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Caledonia

Hi Ron, yes another 5 Star from me too - superb idea and excecution. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You have out done yourself there Ron.

Simply brilliant!

And the figures are ruddy good at any scale but at 1/72!

As usual your cleaver use of light and camera angles just make this perfect!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Hello all, I've received a very nice P.M. from our Luftwaffe buff Steve (stona) pointing out a small inaccuracy on the Bf109.When the pilot jettisoned the hood, not only did the rear canopy, along with the antenna go with it, but also the armour plating being attached to the canopy behind the pilot's head went as well!!

Your not going to believe this, I've missed mine off as well ! So there's clearly a fault with the kit if two of us can miss this bit out ! (now to see if I can prise a bit of canopy off)

But anyway Ron, you have indeed created a brilliant bit of work here. I've been through the pics so many times and still haven't seen everything. Top banana, as the young trendy ones say.

Regards

Colin M........