A very small project: Academy 1/144 Sepecat Jaguar

• Thread starter wanna_be_aviator
  • Start date
W

wanna_be_aviator

Hi folks!

I've decided to build this one a couple of weeks ago. It's my second model ever and I thought I could count on you guys for some advice and tips. Please bear with me and my newbie goof offs. It's an Academy 1/144 Sepecat Jaguar, apparently an old mould from 1984. Here is how the kit looks like. Not so impressive as far as quality goes. But I like some of the delicate details, seems alright for the scale IMHO. And since I am a total novice, I can't complain about quality yet, I think I should just take the opportunity to learn something here. Besides, if something goes south, you can blame it on the small scale. Or whatever.

Anyway, the instructions would have you build a Jag GR1 XZ375 "The Guardian Reader" from the 1st Gulf War and that's exactly what I want to build. But what's given to you on the sprues is a Jag A, or a very early Jag without the "chisel" nose. You guys can probably tell it better than me. So I think that some modifications will be required.

View attachment 19976View attachment 19974View attachment 19975

now I don't know what on earth those missiles are but they're certainly not Sidewinders! Gonna have to do something about that.

View attachment 19977

I already started working on that nose. What came at first was a pointy nose. After I glue the fuselage halves I'll give it more definition.

View attachment 19978View attachment 19980

The fuselage came with the cockpit area blanked out. When I saw that something hit me hard in the head and made me decide to build a cockpit for it. I started off by gouging out an opening on the said area.

View attachment 19979View attachment 19981View attachment 19982

Ok, next step. This is (please don't laugh) my crude scratchbuilding attempt to represent a 1/144 scale Martin Baker Mk9 ejection seat. Please believe in me and not in your own eyes. Perhaps I should add a little more detail there. Which will come soon, weather permitting.

View attachment 27239

View attachment 27240

View attachment 27241

View attachment 27242

View attachment 27243

View attachment 27244

View attachment 27245

View attachment 27246

View attachment 27247

S7305149_1.JPG

S7305148_1.JPG

AC4430.jpg

S7305150_1.JPG

S7305151_1.JPG

S7305165_1.JPG

S7305166_1.JPG

S7305157.jpg

S7305172_1.JPG

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The nose looks fine to me.

Picasa Web Albums - IAN G - S.W.A.G. Trip...

Ian M

L

Lady_Phoenix

That Jag in real life is currently located at Norwich aviation museum.

This site claims to have pictures of it

City of Norwich Aviation Museum - SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1a XZ375

but I couldnt find any that loaded up, but I dont know if thats because the links are broken or because my PC is slow. Thats why I still posted the link.

The aircraft was stationed at nearby RAF Coltishall. I know that as my Step Father was stationed there and I used to visit often (Used to get in easy if I went to work with him wearing my cadet uniform, but then again that was pre 9/11 days).

You best bet, I think, would be take a visit, or e-mail the aviation museum. They may also have some merchandise for sale.

Hope this helps and doesnt make things more confusing for you.

W

wanna_be_aviator

Thanks for the info! Did you actually see the real aircraft? I know that nowadays it's been taken apart and only the cockpit remains in exhibition. Too sad! I thinks Jags were great types!

L

Lady_Phoenix

Ive not really seen the aircraft at the aviation museum, which is a crime I suppose, given that I live in Norwich (Well In the last few weeks Ive moved to Watton, Im actually living on what used to be part of RAF Watton), and Ive probably seen the aircraft in real life if it was ever at RAF Colishal, however, Im pretty sure there were 2 types of Jag at Colishal. Im doing this from memory but there was 54 sqn which was a recon sqn and two other squadrons. 54 and one of the others went to the Gulf but I seem to recall a new paint scheme (A sort of pink sheme?).

Im afraid my main knowledge really isnt RAF so take my words with a pinch of salt. Its only that Ive had interaction with a few aircraft outside the US Navy that I have taken an interest, such as Jags, Sea Kings, A-10`s and the Mosquito, o an anything at RAF Lakenheath c1972 (My bithplace). Other than that I have very little interest, sorry (/me runs and dives for cover)

W

wanna_be_aviator

Don't worry, the bombs aren't gonna fall! I don't know much about RAF either, and think you are mighty lucky to live around air bases and a/cs! That's reference we poor mortals cannot have! Way to go! And yep, the a/c color scheme for the Gulf War was this sorta pink (pink tan?) that I still don't know how I am going to get. I've started looking around, but I guess that in the end I will end up having to mix it anyway. :emo6:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi marcos, looking great so far, excellent work on the seat! The colour you need is desert sand , a kind of pinkish beige colour, humbrol do an enamel in this colour (no. 250 i think) or if you can get someone to post out to S.A. then hannants xtracrylix range do this colour in acrylic too -xa 1032 desert pink. The xtracrylix paints are available from the scale-models online shop but im not sure if john posts to S.A. Keep up the great work , this reminds me of the 1/144 eduard ju 87b stuka ive got in the stash, great moulding,even canopy masks and a tiny etched fret with dive brakes and elevator braces etc BUT ... no cockpit!! i think when i get round to doing it ill have to follow your lead and open the fuselage and scratchbuild one! keep the pics coming, cheers tony

W

wanna_be_aviator

Hi tony! Thanks for the tip on the paint. Humbrol is my paint of choice, so I am going to try to go after that lead you gave me. I think I am getting a kick out of this scratchbuilding thing, it's sure fun. Too bad I don't have a lot of free time to keep that going fast, but in the next few days I'm gonna work on with the instrument panel, cockpit floor and control stick. I'll post the pics as soon as possible. Cheers!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
On comparing the nose in the picture you posted, #6 i think it is, with the picture of the actual aircrafts nose that I posted in the link, I would say that the kit is fine.

I admire any one that takes on such a small scale as this and will be watching with baited breath.

Ian M

W

wanna_be_aviator

Big thanks for all the support! These are still my first wobbly steps but it sure helps to count on your help. Makes the hobby even more enjoyable. Man those bits of plastic can scare you sometimes

W

wanna_be_aviator

and again...

Things got stalled a bit on this build. I just got an airbrush and compressor just waiting to get a couple more fittings to finish the set up and things will start flying! Good thing is that I made a happy mistake on buying the airbrush; all the time I thought I have ordered a single action unit but when I got the package on the mail, lol and behold, I got a double action one, much better stuff. In a few day I get the whole thing set up and rolling, can't wait to start messing around with the A/B. Oh yeah, as for the build, I finished the cockpit tub, it's waiting for a splat of paint. pics will follow A.S.A.P

Last edited:
W

wanna_be_aviator

Ok, holidays are over, so is the hangover. After a long winter I am finally able to carry on this project (see my thread "Expensive Bargain"). I added bits and bobs to the cockpit tub.

View attachment 23604

then a splash of paint. Some Flat Black/Medium Gray 50/50.

View attachment 23618View attachment 23619View attachment 23620

Then dry-brushed some Gray and added a HUD. Things look a bit awful when the photo is taken so close.

View attachment 23608

I had to add some plastic to the front of the cockpit where the HUD would sit, just to match with the look of the real aircraft. I also added some more plastic on the back so the canopy would fit better. And added some tabs to the sides so the cockpit tub could sit properly.

View attachment 23609

And while I was at it I decided to build the model with the air brakes deployed. I think it looks cool that way. I opened some hatches on the fuselage and added some internal panels. Some time later I will scratch build the air brakes.

View attachment 23610 View attachment 23611

Painted the inside of the fuselage Medium Gray

View attachment 23612

set the cockpit tub and then closed the fuselage. But before I did that I filled the fuselage nose with epoxy putty to add some weight to the front. Just in case. Glued the wings in place and the air intakes.

View attachment 23613View attachment 23614View attachment 23615View attachment 23616

Surprisingly enough, the fit of this kit has been really good so far. I can foresee only some very tiny problem areas I need to work on. Thumbs up!

Now some of you might ask: why is this nutcase putting so much work into such tiny, unimpressive and cheap (only 2 quid) kit? Well, maybe is for the fun or the heck of it? Might be the bug. I don't know. You guys are on the business much longer than I am. What do you say?

View attachment 30219

View attachment 30220

View attachment 30221

View attachment 30222

View attachment 30223

View attachment 30224

View attachment 30225

View attachment 30226

View attachment 30227

View attachment 30229

View attachment 30230

View attachment 30231

Jag_build14.jpg

Jag_build15.jpg

Jag_build16.jpg

Jag_build17.jpg

Jag_build18.jpg

Jag_build19.jpg

Jag_build20.jpg

Jag_build21.jpg

Jag_build22.jpg

Jag_build11.jpg

Jag_build12.jpg

Jag_build12a.jpg

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top stuff marcos,keep up the good work! Im a fan of 1/144 stuff so i can appreciate the work involved, its also great to get so much mileage for your £2! Some of my favourite and most enjoyable builds have been of small kits that didnt cost the earth. looking forward to the next pics, cheers tony

W

wanna_be_aviator

More going on though very slow. This week I managed to do some "seam treatment". Some gaps on the wing roots and some more on the underside.

View attachment 24061View attachment 24062

Then glued the ventral fins and the stabs.

After that I painted the IP cover Flat Black/Medium Gray 50/50 and glued the canopy with floor polish.

View attachment 24063View attachment 24065View attachment 24064View attachment 24066

I liked the fact that some interior detail can still be seen through the small little canopy which justifies all the work that went into it. Next, masking the canopy and painting. Yay!

View attachment 30602

View attachment 30603

View attachment 30604

View attachment 30605

View attachment 30606

View attachment 30607

Jag_build23.jpg

Jag_build24.jpg

Jag_build25.jpg

Jag_build26.jpg

Jag_build28.jpg

Jag_build29.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking great now marcos, im tempted to find one of these myself. Which colour scheme are you going to do it in? , cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent! i love the desert storm camo , cheers tony

W

wanna_be_aviator

A little more progress here. Added the underwing pylons and scratchbuilt the overwing pylons. I hope it doesn't look too out of scale.

View attachment 24212View attachment 24213View attachment 24215

A piece of plastic was inserted into the air intake to make it look more like the real thing.

View attachment 24214

And the canopy was masked with electrical tape. I've heard of that once and decided to give it a try. It really is easy to work with it. It conforms to curves, stretches and bends where necessary and gives a nice clean cut. I hope it will come out ok in the end.

Next thing I "borrowed" one of the drop tanks from an F-16 kit that was sitting on the stash watching the whole thing and adapted it to look like a Jag one. That nice little F-16 also donated a couple of sidewinders because they look really good and in scale. The ones provided with the kit are not good looking and deserve to be put aside. Tony, if you are looking into building this one in the future you will know what I'm talking about. I suggest you go get that F-16 for the weapons and also build it afterwards, it's quite nice.

View attachment 24216

Then the model went happily to get a light dust of paint. Yay! And it was literally "dust". I got some orange peel effect on the thing. I got so excited about my progress that I didn't pay attention the "right amount pressure X thinning the paint right = good finish" equation. Oh bother.

View attachment 24217View attachment 24218View attachment 24219

that had happened before on another occasion, a couple of weeks ago. I just tossed the model in the bin. But this time I just waited another day, went back to the model and with a brush tried to remove the "dust". It worked. the paint had such a bad adhesion to the plastic that almost everything came off. I then got creative and pulled my electric toothbrush out of the hat and let it have a go at it. It worked even better. Now it is officially part of my odd modelling tools inventory.

Having learned my lesson twice I will most likely post a success story next time. Cheers!

View attachment 30713

View attachment 30714

View attachment 30715

View attachment 30716

View attachment 30717

View attachment 30718

View attachment 30719

View attachment 30720

Jag_build30.jpg

Jag_build36.jpg

Jag_build37.jpg

Jag_build38.jpg

Jag_build34.jpg

Jag_build35.jpg

Jag_build31.jpg

Jag_build33.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

There's a pink aircraft at the Yorkshire Air Museum but I can't remember what it is. I'll have to have a dig through my pictures and see if I can find the shots I took of it. Certainly an interesting colour scheme.

This is coming aloing beautifully and still amazes me at the amount of detail crammed into such a small kit. You're certainly making the most of it.