A very small project: Academy 1/144 Sepecat Jaguar

• Thread starter wanna_be_aviator
  • Start date
W

wanna_be_aviator

They all participated in the Gulf War with great significance. I love the looks of the Buccaneer, saw it once at the air force museum in Pretoria, South Africa. quite a powerful looking aircraft.

W

wanna_be_aviator

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } View attachment 25017View attachment 25018View attachment 25019View attachment 25020View attachment 25022View attachment 25023View attachment 25021

To the relief of many of you that might have got bored of watching this slow development, I declare that this build is finally coming to an end. Here the steps following the last post:

After a couple of coats of the base coat I painted the wheel bays and airbrake hatches zinc chromate (my own mix), the blast shield (is that how you call it?) and exhaust cans Humbrol Silver and Flat Black. Next time I will paint those details first then apply the main colour, it was a hassle to mask those tiny little areas. By the way my airbrushing is leaving much to desire right now, see how rough the finish is? Darn, I do need to climb that ever so steep learning curve! After that some coats of the local version of Klear (Johnson's Cobra) and I applied the decals. Sad to say, Academy lives up to its reputation when it comes to decals. Applying them wasn't hard but it was almost impossible to make them settle. Several (meaning a whole lot) coats of Tamiya Mark Fit didn't do the job and here they go, looking like stickers. Oh bother.

In the meantime I prepared and painted all the sub assemblies (I'm trying to learn those technical terms).

I know the Jaguars during the Gulf War took some pounding and showed themselves very weathered, so I decided to apply some washes, very subtle, to highlight some panel lines and that was all the weathering I could think of. Just a little weathering goes a long way in this little scale.

After gluing the ordnances (another cool term) and other thingamajigs (here we go again) I applied a good coat of Humbrol Dullcote. You might have noticed that the decals for the roundels are in the wrong colour. Since there is no alternative to the kit decals I thought I could solve the problem by “bleaching” the decals with a mix of Dullcote and flat White but that didn't work. It looked like it had an accident involving a bag of flour and I gave up in a cloud of swearing.

All done, in spite of all the goof-offs I was moderately happy with the results. I will post it under the Completed Models section after I find and glue back the pitot tube that after being knocked off and reglued about 55 times got swallowed up by the small bits black hole that lives under my desk. So here it is, bad pictures and all. Rotten tomatoes are accepted but not too rotten please, after all this is my second model ever completed. My special thanks to Tony, Richard, Penny, Andy and Ian M for hints, tips and general moral support. Thanks guys!

View attachment 31310

View attachment 31311

View attachment 31312

View attachment 31313

View attachment 31314

View attachment 31315

View attachment 31316

Jag_build40.jpg

Jag_build39.jpg

Jag_build42.jpg

Jag_build41.jpg

Jag_build43.jpg

Jag_build45.jpg

Jag_build44.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi marcos , great job,well done!You would never be able to tell how small it is until you see the pic on your hand, it looks at least 1/72. Shame about the lost pitot tube , if you want to replace it a toothbrush bristle is about the right size , ive used them before and theyre ok, plus theyre quite springy so will sometimes survive an accidental knock. Top marks on a great build and excellent tiny scratchbuilding skills! cheers tony

W

wanna_be_aviator

Thanks Tony! Great tip on the pitot tube,thank you I am surely going for that. I am happy I got to bring this one to the finish line, I've been building this for a good while already. I enjoyed working with this scale in particular. So much so that I have a whole stash of 1/144 jets waiting for me! Cheers!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats a great little aircraft you have built there Marcos. I agree with Tony in that you would not guess it was braile scale. I did a 1/144 me 262 a while back and it did my head in!!!

Well done!

Ian M