Academy 1/72 F-51D Mustang

First Name
Barry
Having finished the Eurofighter I thought I would take this to France with me and have a bash at it in between looking after the chickens and the cat. I thought one in Korean markings would make a change. It also comes complete with a jeep.

001.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Generally nice kits the Academy stuff. This should be good.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I will watch this one Barry

First Name
Barry
OK, arrived in France and am deep in the countryside about 60 miles south of Caen. I have made a start and have now come to a grinding halt. Having got to the stage of painting the instrument panel and all the nice little details on the sides of the cockpit I have found that I didn't bring my magnifying equipment and my reading glasses are not up to the job of seeing the really fine detail. This means I have had to stop and transfer my attention to checking the quality of Normandy cider and cheese. Needless to say I am heartbroken but I will soldier on valiantly........

I have taken a couple of photos I am trying a different method of showing the panel lines. I don't like heavy ones so I have done a pin wash in diluted oil paint and hopefully when I spray the metalic colour I will be able to do it lightly enough just to have a hint of the panel lines. Worth a go anyway.

IMG_0001 (1).JPG

IMG_0002 (1).JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
n the sides of the cockpit I have found that I didn't bring my magnifying equipment and my reading glasses are not up to the job of seeing the really fine detail. This means I have had to stop and transfer my attention to checking the quality of Normandy cider and cheese. Needless to say I am heartbroken but I will soldier on valiantly........
Appreciated that you are taking one for the team Barry :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I'm gutted for you barry , having to endure cider and cheese sessions it must be hell , believe me when i say i would make the sacrifice and swap places gladly to save you.! :D :D:D . the panel line solution sounds promising , like yourself I'm not a fan of overdone washes especially in the smaller scales ,it can make a model look very toy like. In cases like this and the airfix sabre i recently did the lines alone create enough of a shadow to make them noticeable , cheers tony

First Name
Barry
Its been a very hard morning. I have fed the chickens, had to have a stern word with them about the lack of egg laying. Now after a lovely Sunday dinner and a couple of glasses of red I am sprawled out in front of a roaring log fire. I did have a thought about borrowing the other half's bifocals to see if I could see the small detail but it was only a fleeting thought. Lots of WW2 history around here. I was trundling along a little forest road just a few miles north of Alencon yesterday and came across a Sherman tank sitting in the middle of a small roundabout.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Its been a very hard morning. I have fed the chickens, had to have a stern word with them about the lack of egg laying. Now after a lovely Sunday dinner and a couple of glasses of red I am sprawled out in front of a roaring log fire. I did have a thought about borrowing the other half's bifocals to see if I could see the small detail but it was only a fleeting thought.
Thats the spirit Barry! its a dirty job but somebodys got to do it! -- if i were you I'd be doing exactly the same !! cheers tony

First Name
Barry
i couldn't resist having a go at the cockpit detail so this is how it turned out. Not too bad except that the dark wash is a bit (lot) overdone, I should have thinned it much more. However its done now.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

First Name
Barry
Done a little bit more, got things buttoned up, The fit of the parts is quite good although one of the separate flaps is a little bit deformed and the wing roots need a little bit of filler. As the gap is small I have used tippex as this can be wiped away with a cotton bud dipped in white spirit which negates the need to sand and saves having to rescribe the panel lines.

013.jpg

014.jpg

First Name
Barry
Today we tried to spray the thing. I was not impressed, no matter what pressure I tried or thickness of paint it just kept beading up on the model like little raindrops. I am gradually changing over to other brands of paint but the only metallic's I have are Humbrol which I have never had much luck with. The really annoying part is that the paint mix I had for spraying although quite thin brushed on nicely.

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

This is the first thin coat, you can see most of the panel lines and I hope that one more thin coat will tone them down just right.

First Name
Barry
After a coat or future I have masked up a few panels in order to have them a different shade. The main colour is a mixture of silver and aluminium and then I dry brush the panels I have masked up several times over with chrome silver which just gives a slight change.

018.jpg

019.jpg

I have now called this finished and have put some photos in the completed section.