Afghanistan WKIM Airfix 1/48

L

Laurie

I knew Dave had a build with this model. He kindly agreed that he was happy for me to go ahead. Thanks Dave :smiling3:

This is the second of my 10 part Herrick group. The Merlin completed. To come the other Landrover, two quad bikes ,a platoon, Lynx, Warrior, Coyote and Jackal.

First Military vehicle I have attempted. So though it is a build it is with the purpose for experienced builders in this subject to go ahead with any thoughts how you would do it do not do that and any tips etc.

So far the Airfix is living up to its new reputation with the new models. Excellent.

Laurie

View attachment 98198

View attachment 98199

View attachment 98200

View attachment 98201

View attachment 98202

View attachment 98203

View attachment 98204

View attachment 98205

View attachment 98206

9.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Good Stuff Laurie....... Those Herrick group kits are superb. I built the Jackal a while back and it was a real pleasure to do.

Peter

L

Laurie

\ said:
Good Stuff Laurie....... Those Herrick group kits are superb. I built the Jackal a while back and it was a real pleasure to do.Peter
\ said:
Get stuck in Laurie, the Snatch was a straightforward build for me.
Thanks to you Peter and Rick. Yes so far it has been a joy to build. The chassis which is a complicated effort went into place perfectly.

Not sure yet if I will build the bog standard Landrover. I like models with things happening on the model the WMIK is busy back to front.

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice start Laurie, you are yet again very organised and the posts are informative.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Nice start Laurie,as Joe has said always nice to read your post,s wish i could be as organized as you,:rolleyes:

interested in the paints the 4-075 one is the Vallejo,as i use alot of the lifecolor R,LM,02, and is a close match,

as i do need more,

L

Laurie

\ said:
Nice start Laurie,as Joe has said always nice to read your post,s wish i could be as organized as you,:rolleyes:interested in the paints the 4-075 one is the Vallejo,as i use alot of the lifecolor R,LM,02, and is a close match,

as i do need more,
Hi Moni I cannot find that Lifecolor. Has it any other references on the bottle. ?

Laurie

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I've mentioned this to you before Laurie but it was quite some while ago, I used Vallejo Model Air 71.028 Sand Yellow for the desert paint scheme. After painting I applied a wash that toned it down nicely.

You can see the results here; http://www.ipms-farnborough.co.uk/gallery/key/Rick+Shea?g2_itemId=10974

Hope this helps.

S

Stevekir

I must organise lots of clips on stalks, for small parts while painting.

L

Laurie

\ said:
I've mentioned this to you before Laurie but it was quite some while ago, I used Vallejo Model Air 71.028 Sand Yellow for the desert paint scheme. After painting I applied a wash that toned it down nicely.You can see the results here; http://www.ipms-farnborough.co.uk/gallery/key/Rick+Shea?g2_itemId=10974

Hope this helps.
Thanks taking a look now Rick.

\ said:
I must organise lots of clips on stalks, for small parts while painting.
Just used sprue fitted into the electrical crocodile clips. Works Ok and cheap Steve.

Laurie

L

Laurie

OK next stage. Feel free, as said before, as this is my first military vehicle to give advice or tell me where I may have gone wrong. :eek:

So far all has gone as it should fitting together. Interesting as there a few bits which are stuck together such as on an aircraft ie wings fuselage. Quite different as most so far seems to be sticking things on.

\ said:
I used Vallejo Model Air 71.028 Sand Yellow for the desert paint scheme
Using your recommended Rick. How I missed when I did my trials I am not sure but it is a better colour than the Humbrol suggested. As you mentioned I will also be toning down when I get to the finishing stages.

Laurie

View attachment 99039

View attachment 99043

View attachment 99040

View attachment 99041

View attachment 99042

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

T

Tibbs

That chassis looks superb...... Would love a break down on how you achieved that.... Thanks

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very nice Laurie. Love the work you have done on the chassis.

Ian M

N

noble

These look very cool Laurie, you seem to be progressing well.

scott

L

Laurie

Thanks for that Scott, Ian M and Ian Papa.

\ said:
Would love a break down on how you achieved that.
Thanks Amos. First time of trying all of this so hope this helps.

Used Lifecolor Sand 1 which is a great color for Afganistan dust etc. For the wash on the black I mixed this with thinners probably 40% paint and 60% thinners. Could not find a prepared wash the colour I wanted. Using a big brush I doused bit by bit removing wet parts and then redoing as they were near dry moving the paint around with the brush.

On the dust on the oil. I used Vallejo Pigments desert Dust, Light Sienna and European earth. Some I dipped a small brush in Vallejo matt varnish and picked up the pigments and then pushed it around until it looked OK. Other times I applied matt varnish and then using the same brush loaded pigment and laid it on to the vanish. A great help is that Vallejo Matt dries quickly and you can layer on layer etc.

If you can get the DVD AFV acrylic techniques by Mig Jimenez this gives a good in to a lot of weathering techniques.

Laurie

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
do like the little turn stands with the clips,

this is looking good Laurie,coming along very nicely, :D

so sorry this is so late ,

but hear is a link to that paint i said,

i did try to link it in when changing servers,

hope its still of help

the very top one, ;)

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Lifecolor%2FLifecolour+LC-UA504.+Grau+RLM02+Paint.&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=2

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looking very good Laurie, I know what you mean about the PE, the Bf109 I am currently building is the first time I have used PE and some of the small bits can drive you to distraction.