Airborne01's fd.kfz 7. Dragon, 1/35

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yep,
That's looking SUPERB Steve :smiling3:
.... VERY NICE INDEED in fact !!..... As for the "we know it's there" thing,Hmmm,I used to go along with that,however,when I realised how much time/effort I'd spend doing that type of thing....
... I thought,"Bugger that, I'll not get half of the stash built in my lifetime as it is.... without painting stuff that won't be seen" ;)
Good on you though mate :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Why bother with detailing when you won't see it once completed?
That is my attitude to modelling too :smiling3: If it appears it will be out of sight, and nothing else visible will attach to it, I generally put it in my spares box instead of on the model :smiling3:

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's looking real good Steve and you're off to a great start!!! Yeah, we all have that same thought and we (ourselves) do have that satisfaction of knowing it's there............And................Never to be seen again!!!.........

Prost
Allen
And it means the cost can be justified by the number of hours involved: £10 over 10 hours = £1 per hour but the self-same model built over 20 hours is 'only' 50p per hour! Well, that's my justification to SWMBO!

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
And it means the cost can be justified by the number of hours involved: £10 over 10 hours = £1 per hour but the self-same model built over 20 hours is 'only' 50p per hour! Well, that's my justification to SWMBO!
You could always just slow down Steve !! ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very good Steve.
Im glad some one has started to paint. I might figure out how to paint mine. lol.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
A little time at the bench (thanks to an understanding SWMBO) and 'onwards and upwards!' Due to taking a short-cut I put the front bodywork on and created some minor problems relating to 'How do I now get the rear portion on?' -fortunately that's now resolved and the bodywork is fitted and just needs some tarting up etc. No photo's yet - I apologise for this batch but the missus dragged me into the 21st Century with an i-phone and this is my first attempt at photography!
Initial distressing is done, running gear ditto and now the dreaded tracks! More work on the motor to be done, and the making of stowage for the rear storage (need a stowage diagram!) Still haven't tempted the Carpet Monster to reveal the whereabouts of the grab rail, but I know as soon as I make one it'll turn up! Think I'm not too far off completion and then 'The Gun'! (I'm envisaging a scenario with the gun still limbered up and the crew in the process of either unlimbering or 'Crashing Out!)
Steve
IMG_2354.JPGIMG_2353.JPGIMG_2352.JPGIMG_2351.JPG

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking VERY nice indeed there Steve :smiling3:
Lovely paintwork on the chassis and running gear mate.... Love it :smiling3:

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Managed to get a little more completed, tracks (complete with mistake) and engine for example; started on stowage but have yet to uncover a definitive stowage plan so it will have to be down to the arcane art of guesstimation! The rear basket was deformed and had a short moulding in one area which, in itself, isn't too much of a problem as I can cover the shortfall with a strategically placed piece of 'cloth'. Still looking for dashboard decals as the dash is such a visual piece. Away for the weekend but I can get more done in the first half of next week (School beckons again!). Mandatory figure for scale purposes, and hopeful that this GB will completed to schedule!
Steve
IMG_0036.JPGIMG_0035.JPGIMG_0034.JPGIMG_0033.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Really coming on now Steve and looking very good indeed.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Looking really fine Steve!!! I wouldn't go crazy looking for a load plan, as these things carried what the crew needed most. Fuel, personal gear, food stuffs, 98K ammo, tarps to give them protection from the elements and so on. Just pile it in the back and if it could fall off, maybe a rope or two the secure it. I can't see anything wrong with the tracks myself......

Prost
Allen

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
Just purchased this 'twin' kit for a princely sum of £65. Not cheap and one of only two I could see available in stores I visit online in the UK! When just a Dragon Sd.Kfz 7 can cost upwards of £50 these days, and buying them individualy, nearer £90, I think Im lucky to have grabbed one at all!

Reading up on Terry Ashley’s review on PMMS for anything to be aware of, the Howitzer is a great kit but, a NIGHTMARE to build. In Terry's words 'it requires an Abacus' to build it!

It's all down to those crazy Dragon instructions so take a look at this before you end up throwing it in the bin!

Review can be found here sFH 18 review

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looking really fine Steve!!! I wouldn't go crazy looking for a load plan, as these things carried what the crew needed most. Fuel, personal gear, food stuffs, 98K ammo, tarps to give them protection from the elements and so on. Just pile it in the back and if it could fall off, maybe a rope or two the secure it. I can't see anything wrong with the tracks myself......

Prost
Allen
Pile it in! Normal crap then ... !
Just purchased this 'twin' kit for a princely sum of £65. Not cheap and one of only two I could see available in stores I visit online in the UK! When just a Dragon Sd.Kfz 7 can cost upwards of £50 these days, and buying them individualy, nearer £90, I think Im lucky to have grabbed one at all!

Reading up on Terry Ashley’s review on PMMS for anything to be aware of, the Howitzer is a great kit but, a NIGHTMARE to build. In Terry's words 'it requires an Abacus' to build it!

It's all down to those crazy Dragon instructions so take a look at this before you end up throwing it in the bin!

Review can be found here sFH 18 review
Noted mate! Dragon instructions are definitely a MENSA entrance exam at times!
Steve

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Steve.....I love these artillery tractors.....prolly have upwards of a dozen or more in the stash. Yours is looking mighty fine, as for the CITB, the guys are spot on, just throw it in and let it go for the effect you are looking to produce. Looking forward to your next update. Enjoy the week end outing and see you soon. :thumb2:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just getting better and better Steve,
Like Rick says, I'm looking forward to the next update mate :smiling3:

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Snuck in an hour or two here and there and this is the result: Carpet Monster refuses to yield the hand rail and I refuse to be blackmailed by scratching a new part! Stowage needs some cordage and cam-poles added; still waiting for the dashboard decals which is why the forward fragile elements such as width indicators and mirrors etc aren't in place. Remembrance Sunday and the mannequin construction means I've been sidetracked and it's almost impossible for me to finish the gun in the available time but at least the prime mover will be finished! Hope this progress is more satisfactory compared to previous posts!
Steve
unnamed (1).jpgunnamed.jpgIMG_0057.jpgIMG_0056.jpgIMG_0055.jpg