Airfix 1/76 WWII DUKW

First Name
Brian
Just completed this, many first's for me on this.

1. not using stringy glue
  2. Sanding and prepping parts
  3. Painting (airbrush)
  4. Weathering.
  5. Not doing just step 1 in 20 mins and wondering why it looks boring!

Still got a loooooong way to go to get any where near the level of the rest of you guy's and gal's but will have fun trying :smiling3:

IMG_0179_zpsikof6lfe.jpg

IMG_0168_zpsbv4bv7pu.jpg

IMG_0169_zps9m7gmeuy.jpg

IMG_0172_zpsfi2465vx.jpg

IMG_0173_zpsdt1qkvu5.jpg

IMG_0175_zpsyzleyqda.jpg

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Very good. Particularly as it's such small scale Brian. I like it.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Good job for 1/72;) Being patient and doing things one step at a time is the way to go, keep at it................Jim:smiling3:

First Name
Brian
When I first joineed this and other forums I notcied that most had one or two models on the go at any one time, and I couldn't understand why.....since doing this It all makes sense leave it to dry or whatever and get on with something else...obvious really!

D

Doug Hughes

That looks really good, Brian. The weathering has worked really well, and I like the care you've taken over painting the details, like the driver and the gun. You're right - if you do things properly you're going spend a lot more time waiting for things to dry. Some modellers, especially those using acrylic paints, seem to get away with waiting the bare minimum of drying time, but I usually wait 24 hours before recoating, masking etc.

D

dubster72

As Doug rightly says, it's the little details that matter in small scales, especially Braille scale!

I really like what you've done with this one Brian. Airfix 1/76 kits aren't what I'd recommend to a relative newcomer (actually I wouldn't recommend them to anyone!) - if you want to stick with small scale armour, check out the Revell range. They've got some lovely kits.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice job Brian, looks very good. I think you've done a good job on the weathering, subtle yet effective.

First Name
Brian
The weathering has been a bit of an eye opener for me I'd never even heard of it untill I got back into it recently, and ot be homest I just slapped it on with a decent size brush and let it dry then used a combination of wet paper towels and a dry brush to clean it up until it got like it is. Originally all I wanted was to get rid of the fresh out of the showroom look.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
\ said:
but will have fun trying :smiling3:
and thats the whole point of this lark :D when it ceases to be fun its time to find another hobby

i think it looks great,especially since its a braille scale tiddler

got one of these in the airfix sale a while back, must be 35+ years since i last did it

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Grand little build Brian. Nice one.

I totally agree with our good mate Paul. It's all about having fun, not beating yourself up about exact colours etc. The weather and the general environment will soon make all that go to pot anyway.

Also, don't fall in the trap of comparing your efforts with others. You will develop your own style, in your own time. Just enjoy what you are achieving and you will see a natural improvement with each model you finish. Pick up tips and tricks certainly, but apply them your way.....