Airfix 54mm Napoleonic French Line Infantry

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
He looks fine to me Neil. Wolfe is obviously designed to be the centre of the tableau in John’s illustration, and I can see where John is coming from regarding the legs, but I’ve always thought his anatomy looks a little “off”. His torso almost appears hinged in the middle, for example….great uniform reference though, every British regiment involved in the battle is represented in the full painting.

First Name
Bill
Marvellous scratch building Neil, this is developing nicely. I don't envy you painting so many of the same uniform, I would get bored and put the whole project on the shelf of shame.

Very envious of your skills.

Cheers
Bill

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
He looks fine to me Neil. Wolfe is obviously designed to be the centre of the tableau in John’s illustration, and I can see where John is coming from regarding the legs, but I’ve always thought his anatomy looks a little “off”. His torso almost appears hinged in the middle, for example….great uniform reference though, every British regiment involved in the battle is represented in the full painting.
Cheers Tim, I didn't know that about the regiments

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Marvellous scratch building Neil, this is developing nicely. I don't envy you painting so many of the same uniform, I would get bored and put the whole project on the shelf of shame.

Very envious of your skills.

Cheers
Bill
Cheers Bill. That's why I only do them in batches of 2 or 3, and then only one at a time.
That way they remain individuals.
I'm doing my best to keep up the momentum on this, especially as I started out intending to do something straight out of the box!

Reactions: JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good afternoon Dr. Merryweather,

It has come to the attention of medical societies all over the world, that you Sir, are practicing without a license. All we can say is......."Helluva job Neil!!! As a suggestion, you might want to get a handle on the Gangrene problem on some of the wounded though. Stronger anti-biotics would probably do the trick...

Other than that, and all kidding aside, this is one fantastic project Sir, so please it coming!!!...

Prost
Allen

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This is turning out excellently Neil; have just read through from the first post and I can only reiterate all the plaudits you've earned along the way. Well done indeed!
Steve

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Good afternoon Dr. Merryweather,

It has come to the attention of medical societies all over the world, that you Sir, are practicing without a license. All we can say is......."Helluva job Neil!!! As a suggestion, you might want to get a handle on the Gangrene problem on some of the wounded though. Stronger anti-biotics would probably do the trick...

Other than that, and all kidding aside, this is one fantastic project Sir, so please it coming!!!...

Prost
Allen
Vielen Dank Herr Dewire for your interest in our little project. Or should I be calling you Mr McFly...?
I would like to remind you that antibiotics are anachronistic and will have no place on any battlefield for another 130 years or so.
My assistant (Matron)extends her best wishes and would like to remind you to take your meds at the correct timings- or I fear remedial action may become necessary.
Alles Gutes und herzliches Gluckwunschen (sorry can't do umlauts) fur Weinachten und das neues Jahr

• Love
Reactions: JR

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just catching up with Neil. Awesome stuff. This will be a truly epic scene once complete. And it is very interesting to see your process.
All the very best with the continued progress it truly is excellent.
Merry Christmas
Paul

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Vielen Dank Herr Dewire for your interest in our little project. Or should I be calling you Mr McFly...?
I would like to remind you that antibiotics are anachronistic and will have no place on any battlefield for another 130 years or so.
My assistant (Matron)extends her best wishes and would like to remind you to take your meds at the correct timings- or I fear remedial action may become necessary.
Alles Gutes und herzliches Gluckwunschen (sorry can't do umlauts) fur Weinachten und das neues Jahr
Thanks so much Neil and I truly wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I take it the Gangrene is the green stuff putty you use for a filler. I have just ordered some figs for my 'Mr. McFly' kit and will be studying your butchery to try and modify mine to fit. Have a great holiday and I hope the fog in London eases up so you can find your way home from the pub my friend...

Prost
Alllen

PS, Matron gave up on me 2 years ago Neil...She said I was beyond hope...........

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep. This is the only book I've ever read twice. It's absolutely compulsive reading, must have been unimaginably horrible on the front line!

Gavin
Absolutely must have been. The casualty rate at Waterloo was actually worse in some ways than the first day of the battle of the Somme. There were 50000 casualties out of about 180000 combatants, and at least 25000 (some say up to 50000) horse casualties. All this in a battlefield only two and a half miles wide. Truly horrendous.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Absolutely must have been. The casualty rate at Waterloo was actually worse in some ways than the first day of the battle of the Somme. There were 50000 casualties out of about 180000 combatants, and at least 25000 (some say up to 50000) horse casualties. All this in a battlefield only two and a half miles wide. Truly horrendous.
I know it's corny,...
... and we've mostly all, seen it a billion times,BUT,I saw this Film again just a few days ago...
Awesome impact and scale, showing,(I think anyway), just how horrific this battle was! :smiling3:
I'm by no means a film buff... But I reckon it's an incredible representation :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I know it's corny,...
... and we've mostly all, seen it a billion times,BUT,I saw this Film again just a few days ago...
Awesome impact and scale, showing,(I think anyway), just how horrific this battle was! :smiling3:
I'm by no means a film buff... But I reckon it's an incredible representation :smiling3:
Agreed, the Greys charge in particular is fantastically filmed. The real thing would have had around ten times that many cavalry. Utterly incomprehensible these days. Steiger absolutely nails Napoleon as well…..

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Absolutely must have been. The casualty rate at Waterloo was actually worse in some ways t
Absolutely must have been. The casualty rate at Waterloo was actually worse in some ways than the first day of the battle of the Somme. There were 50000 casualties out of about 180000 combatants, and at least 25000 (some say up to 50000) horse casualties. All this in a battlefield only two and a half miles wide.
I know it's corny,...
Agreed, the Greys charge in particular is fantastically filmed. The real thing would have had around ten times that many cavalry. Utterly incomprehensible these days. Steiger absolutely nails Napoleon as well…..
Those poor horses . Warfare in the 19th century was particularly barbaric. That book made me wince once or twice, if you somehow survived the battle physically then you would have been mentally ruined for the rest of your life, probably deaf as well if you were in the artillery.