Airfix 54mm Napoleonic French Line Infantry

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good Neil, especially the equipment and uniform. Something jumps out though. Is it the pictures or is there a colour mismatch between the face and hands? It’s very noticeable in the third picture?

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Looks good Neil, especially the equipment and uniform. Something jumps out though. Is it the pictures or is there a colour mismatch between the face and hands? It’s very noticeable in the third picture?
old eagle eyes is on it!
the head is from the previous fusilier 2 and I didn't bother trying to match his hands because I couldn't remember the mix I had used then-it was over a year ago!
But thanks for pointing it out to everyone, Tim ;) !

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
old eagle eyes is on it!
the head is from the previous fusilier 2 and I didn't bother trying to match his hands because I couldn't remember the mix I had used then-it was over a year ago!
But thanks for pointing it out to everyone, Tim ;) !
I guess when you see the new Fusilier 2 we'll have the same issue. Oh well, never mind

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm sure you could get close to matching the face colour, Neil. Worth a try, I'd've thought.

I keep on having to remind myself these are just 54mm figures - the face in that third picture is beautiful, completely believable. In future can you include a pot of paint or somesuch, to show us all just how good these are?

Reactions: JR

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I'm sure you could get close to matching the face colour, Neil. Worth a try, I'd've thought.
well, maybe. I've only stuck them in the sleeves with PVA so it should be possible to do a neat job
I keep on having to remind myself these are just 54mm figures - the face in that third picture is beautiful, completely believable. In future can you include a pot of paint or somesuch, to show us all just how good these are?
well that's just too kind, sir! I shall endeavour to oblige in future

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I've run out of superlatives Neil

Totally agree.
thank you Jim, I'm rather shocked.
Painting still feels like a dark art for me, and the results are mostly luck.
One thing I have learned, though, is not to try to do two figures at once. I've found that I don't take so much care because I know I've got another one to do in the same way, so it feels a bit like a production line.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yup...you only prime and Zenithal in a production line but painting individually one at a time works better. No two figures should look too similar even in Napoleon's time.

Cheers,
Richard

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic work neil , another one bites the dust ( or is he biting a mars bar , i cant tell ? ;)) .Superbly remodelled and posed , cheers tony

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I concur with Jon......full of action and expressing all the "mechanics" of what was considered then, modern warfare. :thumb2: Simply put, You've captured it Neil!;)

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
These are really great, Neil.

Have you got a plan for basing them? On that size base they do rather look like they're about to fall off, to me.

I'd like to see you cram this lot up one end of a longish rectangular base - the empty other end would hint strongly at the focus of all their attention, the unseen presence of the foe. Maybe.

Just my two penn'orth!

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thank you gentlemen!
Paul this is just a temporary base to keep them all together, and play with the composition. The concept is to have them totally bunched up like this, but I keep getting new ideas of how to arrange them. I'm not intending to make any adversaries ,though.
I was thinking of a circular base perhaps, but I do like your idea too.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking superb Neil. The animation on display is peerless. Looking forward to the final arrangement…..