Airfix Supermarine Spitfire MkI/MkIIa

M

MrGotty

Thanks Roman, here is a small update with the little time I had this morning, I used tamiya acrylic for the undercarriage as the shop I get my paints from did not have the color needed for the undercarriage plus I wanted to try acrylics and so far they are lovely :smiling3: Heres a couple pics for you one of the color scheme I have chosen and one with the painted undercarriage.

Enjoy!

Scott

View attachment 44698

View attachment 44699

color scheme.jpg

undercarriage.jpg

M

MrGotty

Thanks Mobear, I think I am going to buy acrylics instead of enamels now :smiling3: there really good so going to make a switch, put my enamels to one side now lol

There a bit cheaper aswell which is nice :smiling3:

Any thoughts?

Scott

D

dubster72

\ said:
Thanks Mobear, I think I am going to buy acrylics instead of enamels now :smiling3: there really good so going to make a switch, put my enamels to one side now lolThere a bit cheaper aswell which is nice :smiling3:

Any thoughts?

Scott
If you're going to brush paint with Tamiya acrylics Scott, you'll eventually realise that they don't perform very well! For airbrushing they're great, although you have to watch out for 'dry tip' which causes a gritty finish.

If you're thinking acrylics, go for Vallejo Model Colour. They can be brushed or sprayed equally well, clean-up is easier & the 'dropper' bottle design means you only ever use as much as you need.

Hope that helps

Patrick

V

Vajled

I agree with Patric, dont use tamiya with ordinary brush... it's ok for very small surfaces but for all plane... no chance

Roman

M

MrGotty

Okay, Thanks guys, I suppose I am doing pretty well with Humbrol Enamels right now its just the long drying time and sometimes does not paint well, Il look more into Acrylics though I think, since they dry quicker :smiling3:

Scott

*edited* Looked into Vallejo Model Colors, think I am going to get them, I like the sound of them, and colors looks good :smiling3:

Last edited:
P

Plastickitbasher

Scott

Great work so far, cokpit and polit are looking very good

First Name
Aaron
Try some vallejo primer too its fantastic just shake and pour and it comes in 200ml bottles and in grey, white, black, russian green,red oxide and more.

The spits looking great

M

MrGotty

Thanks David and Aaron :smiling3: @Aaron, Il look into it :smiling3: I already have some Alclad Primer was told thats pretty good, you shake and poor that too I think, have not really used it yet until I can use Airbrush, no power in shed at the moment. But Il have a look at some vallejo primer :smiling3:

Thanks

Scott

M

MrGotty

Hello everyone, here is another update, slow and steady, but its getting there lol, Paint was still a bit wet, but I wanted to get some pics up asap, this is the first color ready for camoflage, once its dry its time to test my paint brush skills and paint on the brownish part of the camo :smiling3: I may also touch up the undercarriage seeing as though my paint brush skills need working on and I got some of the dark green on it by mistake haha so I might touch that up a bit soon.

Let me know what you think :smiling3:

Scott

View attachment 44765

View attachment 44766

View attachment 44767

First Layer 1.jpg

First Layer 2.jpg

First Layer 3.jpg

T

tecdes

You are doing OK Scott looking good. Slow no you are belting along at Spitfire speed.

Phew you certainly have enthusiasm Scott.

Laurie

PS hope you are remembering to feed your daughter ! Wow assuming bottle feeding is in the offering !

V

Vajled

Great painting Scott... just keep this up and result will be great

Roman

M

MrGotty

@Laurie yes yes bottle feeding it is lol and Yeh Im feeding her ofcourse hehe :smiling3: I usually try get a bit done every morning while shes having a little nap and while the misses is still asleep, even if its just an hour lol. @Roman Thanks Roman, just need a bit of practice then Il be spot on, Im hoping I get a nice end result :smiling3: Only thing is I am not sure how to finish it, I dont have any clear gloss or anything, might have to buy some, also might get something to make the decals look like there painted on like everyone else does haha, but its not manditory :smiling3:

Thanks

Scott

V

Vajled

Any gloss and mat varnish will do... :smiling3:

and for decals... heheheh, I still somethimes struggle to get them right on the model :smiling3:

I'm using Mr. Gunze setter and Mr. Gunze Softer and also heve revell setter whitch is not strog as Gunze and it's pritty ok

Try for start get Revell or Valejjo setters

And when you came to decaling... I will give you few hints...

Roman

First Name
Aaron
Scott its hard to believe that you brush painted this. Fantastic job with that it looks super.

Good luck with the decals.

V

Vajled

pictures - very improved

work - great

brushing - excellent

:smiling3:

Scott,

I must say for beginner you doing great... painting is excellent

Just do everything else like you do so far and this model will be great

Roman

T

tecdes

Nice to watch your progress Scott.

Fascinating your present lifestyle. Looking after baby, wife/mother & fitting in the spare corners with a Spitfire.

Scott do not forget the aerial rigging ? Right at the end of the build.

Laurie