AK Real Color, what paint is it really

slupanter

SMF Poster
First Name
Alexander
Hi all

AK Real Color, I am planning to test some but I wanted to ask if it is a Tamiya/Mr Color Aqueous or Vallejo paint?

Wouter

SMF Poster
First Name
Wouter
Hi chap, they are similar to the Tamiya/Mr. Color ones. So they can be thinned with Lacquer Thinners if I'm not mistaken.

Cheers

Dave Ward

Plodding Along
First Name
David
Ummm,
I never thought that the Real Colors were anything but waterbased! I went ahead and used them as normal acrylics - they are fairly thick, so need a bit more thinning than say, Vallejo Color, but once you get the ratio right, spray and cover nicely..................
Dave

Wouter

SMF Poster
First Name
Wouter
As far as I know they are the same as Tammi's...and though they are called acrylics, the smell tells you otherwise. Best ones to spray though. And use a mask with decent filters because it's nasty stuff.

ps: good to read you back Si ^^

Cheers

slupanter

SMF Poster
First Name
Alexander
As far as I know they are the same as Tammi's...and though they are called acrylics, the smell tells you otherwise. Best ones to spray though. And use a mask with decent filters because it's nasty stuff.

ps: good to read you back Si ^^

Cheers
@Wouter Hey mate,
I am hearing that small just like Tamiya

First Name
Tim
In broad terms paint is made of pigment, binder, and solvent. There are other minor additives, but these are the basics.
Pigment is the colour. Binder is the part that forms a matrix and allows the pigment to adhere to the surface. Solvent is the part that mobilises the pigment and binder to allow the paint to be spread or sprayed.
The term “acrylic” comes from the binder, which in most modern paint is a vinyl acetate resin polymer. The smell comes from the solvent. The acrylic binder can be water borne (no smell) or solvent borne (smelly). Tamiya paint and it’s ilk are solvent borne acrylics. Others, such as Vallejo, are water borne acrylics. They are all acrylics though.
Cheers
Tim

Topcat

SMF Poster
First Name
Andy
Just tried real colours olive drab with a VMS acrylic thinners - turned to a gluey gel. So do not recommend this mix. Will try again with water.

slupanter

SMF Poster
First Name
Alexander
Solvent borne usually has higher pigment density as well, so should give good coverage....keep us informed :thumb2:
Hi guys

I am going to test to tonight and feed back. Plan to test Mr Color Leveling and Tamiya thinner.

Just tried real colours olive drab with a VMS acrylic thinners - turned to a gluey gel. So do not recommend this mix. Will try again with water.
Good to know, keep updating chap.

slupanter

SMF Poster
First Name
Alexander
NEWS!
They spray well like Tamiya and Mr Hobby Aqua and I mixed it with Hobby Aqua leveling.
Needs to be shuck and steered really really well, and thinned to about 60% at 15PSI.

The pigments seem nice quality but Its more Mr Hobby Aqua than Tamiya as it seems thicker but at £2.30 a jar I will be sticking to £1.60 Tamiya and £2 Mr Hobby Aqua.

Attachments