Allen's 1/48 Revell Mossie (Papa695's Mossy GB).

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi all,

Here is my completed Mossie. Thanks again to Ian for getting this GB together. I just couldn't build the kit without having a base for it to sit on, so I picked up a runway section at the WME show. I also added a couple of figures to give it scale and a bit of a story too.......First the story,

As you may know, my buddy, Dude 2, aka John Race, is a retired wood butcher and enjoys fixing things still. I am a retired beer drinker and would have loved to be a pilot when I was young. Well, it just so happens that John and I served in a Mossie Squadron of the RAF in 1944. Mossie's were made of wood and John was perfect for repairing them. I passed my pilots test and flew them over Europe on dangerous missions 4 times a week. War was hell and the stress was tremendous. This dio stars Master Chief John Race and Cdr. Allen "Gus-go-fast" Dewire.....Without further ado, I give you..............

"Pre-Flight Ops"...

IMG_3186.JPG
IMG_3184.JPG

Me, getting my stress level down...In these tough times, cold ones were always needed...
IMG_3182 (2).JPG

And John checking for any nails sticking out so he can hammer them back in. He also has a few extra nails in his mouth, just in case...
IMG_3185 (2).JPG

A few more for your perusal,

IMG_3182.JPG
IMG_3183.JPG

As our weather has been crap, I wasn't able to take any decent pics. When the sun finally shines, I will post a few more in this post. I hope you enjoyed my little foray into the past. Thanks also to my buddy Dude 2 for playing along. Lastly......Thank you for looking in and supporting me in this build!!! Now, on to my next victim at the table.................

Prost auf Euch
Allen

Last edited by a moderator:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Lovely job Allen, excellent figures and well placed

Well done sir!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Great looking base and a better "back story" Allen........oh, and the Mossie looks the Bomb Sir! :thumb2: ;)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi all,

Here is my completed Mossie. Thanks again to Ian for getting this GB together. I just couldn't build the kit without having a base for it to sit on, so I picked up a runway section at the WME show. I also added a couple of figures to give it scale and a bit of a story too.......First the story,

As you may know, my buddy, Dude 2, aka John Race, is a retired wood butcher and enjoys fixing things still. I am a retired beer drinker and would have loved to be a pilot when I was young. Well, it just so happens that John and I served in a Mossie Squadron of the RAF in 1944. Mossie's were made of wood and John was perfect for repairing them. I passed my pilots test and flew them over Europe on dangerous missions 4 times a week. War was hell and the stress was tremendous. This dio stars Master Chief John Race and Cdr. Allen "Gus-go-fast" Dewire.....Without further ado, I give you..............

"Pre-Flight Ops"...

View attachment 464170
View attachment 464171

Me, getting my stress level down...In these tough times, cold ones were always needed...
View attachment 464172

And John checking for any nails sticking out so he can hammer them back in. He also has a few extra nails in his mouth, just in case...
View attachment 464173

A few more for your perusal,

View attachment 464176
View attachment 464177

As our weather has been crap, I wasn't able to take any decent pics. When the sun finally shines, I will post a few more in this post. I hope you enjoyed my little foray into the past. Thanks also to my buddy Dude 2 for playing along. Lastly......Thank you for looking in and supporting me in this build!!! Now, on to my next victim at the table.................

Prost auf Euch
Allen
Love it Dude 1 , got my hair just right colour. :nerd:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Terrific result Allen.
Really nice to have a little bit of variation to the theme.

453 could do some damage with such a bit tool in his hand! :flushed:

Very well done.

Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Great looking Mossie. Love the back story. Ah memories of the good ol' days. All that drinking and a hammerin'. It's that sort of spirit that saw us through to victory!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's brilliant Allen, simply brilliant!!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice Allen, and a very believable story as well. A base really can set a model 'off', something I must try more of.

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Fabulous stuff. A great build, and an even greater back story…..absolutely love it! This one is up there with Snoopy!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
LOL-
Nice one.
Cheers enjoy a well earned beer.
Did you remember Johns Eye patch or was this before the 'incident with the hammer and nail'---

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Excellent story Allen. Great build too, particularly for a non wingy thing builder.
John.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
What a tale of woe Younger than me... But I can just imagine the end of the day image with both of you passed out under the tail.... Well done on the Mossie...
Older than you.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening all you Mossie crazies and most wonderful people. Sorry, I'm a bit late replying as your responses were very overwhelming and I type as fast as pond water...So,

Lovely job Allen, excellent figures and well placed

Well done sir!

Thank you 'Admiral' Bob, it was fun, but I am beginning to worry about you a bit. I haven't seen a StuG on your harbor bench for quite some time. Wazz up wit dat???
Great looking base and a better "back story" Allen........oh, and the Mossie looks the Bomb Sir! :thumb2: ;)

Well Rick, amazing what a couple of cold ones can do. The story just kinda fell into place during the build. Or maybe I was just intoxicated. Take care and thank you my friend...
Love it Dude 1 , got my hair just right colour. :nerd:

Dude 2, if I didn't get your hair right, no one would have recognized who you were...Thank you for playing along too John...
Terrific result Allen.
Really nice to have a little bit of variation to the theme.

453 could do some damage with such a bit tool in his hand! :flushed:

Very well done.

Ron

Thanks Ron, and after a cold one or two, he's pretty safe and good to go!!! I thank you for your SBS on brush painting too, even if I always forgot to thin the paint like you stated in it. What do they say??? Reading is fundamental. Guess I should learn how one day...
Great looking Mossie. Love the back story. Ah memories of the good ol' days. All that drinking and a hammerin'. It's that sort of spirit that saw us through to victory!

Now Jimbo, you know what they say about drinking and flying........There are no white lines to stay within up there and besides, who's going to pull you over??? Thank you and much appreciated Sir!!!...
That's brilliant Allen, simply brilliant!!

Thank you my friend. I'm glad you liked my foray into the wing thingy side. If I hadn't seen the fig with the mug and keg, it would have been much different. Maybe even another shelf queen...Best wishes to the family...
Very nice Allen, and a very believable story as well. A base really can set a model 'off', something I must try more of.

Greatly appreciated Colin!!! Jump in and try a base Sir. It was my first time working with foamboard and I did learn a few things. It certainly won't be my last either...
Lovely job Allen thats turned out great.

Thanks too Mark!!! There are a few things I could have done better, but for the most part, I satisfied. I'm so glad you liked it...
What a great looking model Allen, nicely finished off with those figures

You know Mick, you're the one who got me going after seeing your beautifully finished Mossie dio. I honestly didn't think I could do it, and for that, I thank you Sir!!!...
Great work Allen.

Much appreciated Ian and thank you for getting the GB going and making it fun...
Fabulous stuff. A great build, and an even greater back story…..absolutely love it! This one is up there with Snoopy!

I'm not so sure Tim. While looking for the 1/48 RAF fig set from ICM, I saw the MAIM fig set 48004 "Party with Fly Beer" and I had to have it. the rest is history as we know it. Thanks Buddy and I really don't know what it is about 1/48 wing thingy kits, GB's and crazy ideas that I get!!!...
LOL-
Nice one.
Cheers enjoy a well earned beer.
Did you remember Johns Eye patch or was this before the 'incident with the hammer and nail'---

Thanks Boss!!! I did enjoy a few cold ones. This was definitely before the 'incedent' and besides, have you ever tried to make an eyepatch in 1/48th??? Trying to put the 3 nails in his mouth almost cost me my sanity...
Lovely build Allen. Looks like you had a lot of fun with this project.

Thanks Buddy!!! It had ups and downs, but overall, I had a good time and learned one thing......never, but never, play in 1/48 again!!!...
Excellent story Allen. Great build too, particularly for a non wingy thing builder.
John.

Your much too kind John and thanks. you are so right about that!!! It won't be my last though, but only in 1/32 next time, so I can see the damn parts...
Oh brilliant!!

Thank you Mr. Merryweather!!! Uhh, do mean me or the build Neil??? Great to have you looking in Sir. Hope you are well...
Very clever Allen, great job :smiling3:

Geoff.

I'm not sure Geoff, as I now have to go to AA 3 times a week!!! Seriously, thank you for the support Sir and hoped it gave you a chuckle too...
What a tale of woe Younger than me... But I can just imagine the end of the day image with both of you passed out under the tail.... Well done on the Mossie...
Older than you.

What can I say Older Than Me??? It was all Wibble's fault and you know, war is hell Mike!!! We did wake up before the squadron commander came by though...Lucky us. I do hope you are feeling better too my friend...Oh, and stop all fine scratchy bridge crap you're doing too. You're supposed to be resting...
Allen that is a corker mate. Very nicely done. One to be proud of.

Thanks my Buddy!!! I thought you might get a kick out of it. Now tell us, when are YOU going to build a wing thingy Paul??? Whatchu mean, never!!!.....Never say never...........Hope you 2 are doing fine...

Once again, I sincerely thank you all for your comments, interest and support in my crazy endeavors. My head is so swelled now, I need a lie-down and maybe a cold one too, or 3, or 4, or.................

Prost to you all
Allen