Allen's WnW's WWI Halberstadt CI.II (revisited)

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon Good People,

As the title states, I went crazy in the past weeks and finished this too. If you read the latter pages in my thread here, I had to modify/paint figs and finish carts, as well as a base. Painting figs is my weakest point in life. I can do scratchy all day long, but the figs scare me to death (that's what they look like when I'm done with them). A picture frame and a grass mat finished it off. I also took this to the show, so here are some pics of the final product,

10a.JPG
11a.JPG
20240323_141317.jpg
20240323_141339.jpg
20240323_141406.jpg

If you have read my "Time To Go My Friend" bi-plane GB completed thread, after I got the Silver gong, I wanted to go get a beer from the food counter to celebrate and recover from my shock. But the MC said "stay here"!!! Here's why,

20240324_145602.jpg
I got a Bronze gong in the same category as I did for the Hansa W.12.......Kiss my grits!!! I was so shocked, I forgot all about the beer and was weak in the knees...A P-51 Mustang snagged the Gold in the category.....

Actually, the gong is for all of you who pressured encouraged me into completing the dio for Halberstadt. In both the build thread and in the completed thread you kept at it. Thank you all for that too!!!...

Not sure what I'll have next on the table to play with. I do have some shelf queens that need love and I need a break from wing thingy's for a little while too.............

Prost and still in shock
Allen

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Congrats Allen. Sorry I have not been around much.

That really is looking very splendiferous, even if I do say so myself. A top, top finish and deserving of the award.

ATB

Andrew

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Double congratulations yet again mate - well deserved!
Steve

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Congratulations on this one too, Allen. Very well deserved, but how do you follow this ?
John.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Youngerthanme,
It is about time you started to get the rewards you deserve instead of just the plaudits and likes... A well deserved medal for a well executed model build...

Mother says if you are really good we will now let you out of the celler and off that awful beer diet....
Olderthanyou.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Loving that. Great looking bird. Looks like you’ve cracked biplanes Allen…..

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Your quite good at this aren't you lol.

A bronze and a silver. not a bad haul at all. Well deserved Sir.

A man of your talents scared of figures? Have you seen Martin Kovic AKA night shift non You tube. He has a very relaxed way of doing figures. primes them light from the top down, then dark from the bottom up then adds the colour with glazes! The bugger makes it look so easy and the figures look as good as any others I have seen.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's a great model Allen. Really well finished and presented. The figures certainly work very well. The award is richly deserved .

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow guys, thank you all so very much for the wonderful comments!!! I honestly couldn't believe it myself as there were some really fantastic models in the comps...I hope I don't sound like a broken record in my replies,

Fantastic!
Well done you!
Thank you Neil! It was a weird feeling hearing my name called...

Dude, That gong is thoroughly deserved and has nothing to do with us. It is all down to your skill and keen eye. Very well done indeed.
You might be right Bro, but you guys really keep me going! Jigs knits spoke wheels for a automobile build, Ron makes a wonderful dio out of next to nothing but a cheap kit, you nip 10 parts off the sprues and scratch build the other 174 parts to build a recon wagon, and the list goes on and on...Thanks Paul!!!

Well done Mr D…..obviously well deserved :cool:
Many thanks Mr. Benson! I hope all is well with you and the family in Sussex N.J. my friend...

Congrats on this winner as well
And thank you too, Joe! How's life in Pennsy???

Congrats Allen. Sorry I have not been around much.

That really is looking very splendiferous, even if I do say so myself. A top, top finish and deserving of the award.

ATB

Andrew
Great to see you Andrew and thank you very much, Buddy! I guess the laundry room is still running 24-7, eh!!! Hope you get some table time soon...

Niiiiiiiice:cool:
Thank you so much Mark!!!...

Double congratulations yet again mate - well deserved!
Steve
Thanks too Steve and I still can't believe it either Sir!!!

As you have two awards maybe a double
View attachment 505104
View attachment 505104
Is in order. Congratulations Brother .
Wow Brother!!! I am truly humbled by this double award. Thank you! Word has it though, that most dogs actually do have two danglies!!!...

Fantastic.
Thank you Ian!!!

Congratulations on this one too, Allen. Very well deserved, but how do you follow this ?
John.
Thanks a lot John! I do have some shelf queen projects to finish and no more comps for a while as they are really nerve wracking. See the pic at the end for an example Sir...

Youngerthanme,
It is about time you started to get the rewards you deserve instead of just the plaudits and likes... A well deserved medal for a well executed model build...

Mother says if you are really good we will now let you out of the celler and off that awful beer diet....
Olderthanyou.
Wow much Olderthanme, most appreciated! Tell Mom, thank you, but I will still enjoy my Franken (most excellent) beer for a while longer as it's a traditional part of our diet...

Loving that. Great looking bird. Looks like you’ve cracked biplanes Allen…..
Thanks so much Tim! Funny, but I almost did crack this biplane by dropping it at the show!!!...

Your quite good at this aren't you lol.

A bronze and a silver. not a bad haul at all. Well deserved Sir.

A man of your talents scared of figures? Have you seen Martin Kovic AKA night shift non You tube. He has a very relaxed way of doing figures. primes them light from the top down, then dark from the bottom up then adds the colour with glazes! The bugger makes it look so easy and the figures look as good as any others I have seen.
I really am scared of figs Boss, but I sort of enjoyed painting these. I'm not a you tube looker, but one time I watched a video on how to paint wooden propellers. I tried his method and fergitaboutit. They do make it look easy though. Thank you too for the compliment, Ian...

That's amazing Allen. Very well done indeed....

Nick.
Most appreciated Nick! How's things down in Anglia Sir???

That's a great model Allen. Really well finished and presented. The figures certainly work very well. The award is richly deserved .
I don't know about 'richly' Jim, but it did shock the heck out of me, for sure, when my name was called! Thank you so much my friend...

You just keep rolling out exemplary builds Allen. BZ on the medals and 'dogs'.
Thank you Doug! I guess I have to build a shelf for them now, but I don't know how big the 'Dogs Danglies' are or where to start though...

As mentioned to John above, here's why comps are so nerve wracking,

IMG-20240327-WA0555.jpgHere's this old git trying to place the fig handing up the grenades during set up. You can see the drill bits that I used to drill a hole in the base for him. DOH!!! I drilled 6 holes in the grass mat until I finally was able to find one. Then I saw I didn't make the peg in his foot long enough for him to stand upright. I had brought toothpicks to mark the hole, but forgot I had them in my plastic box with the TET. DOH!!! I finally marked the hole and ended up CAing the peg and his other foot to the mat to get him to stand. My nerves were shot, and there is a moral to this bit of waffle.........I'm to old for this S**T and I need an appointment at Fielmann's downtown, for a pair of glasses. I'm a blind old git.....................

Thank you all again and have a Happy Easter holiday with lots of bench time...

Prost
Allen

Last edited:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Wow guys, thank you all so very much for the wonderful comments!!! I honestly couldn't believe it myself as there were some really fantastic models in the comps...I hope I don't sound like a broken record in my replies,

Thank you Neil! It was a weird feeling hearing to hear my name called...

You might be right Bro, but you guys really keep me going! Jigs knits spoke wheels for a automobile build, Ron makes a wonderful dio out of next to nothing but a cheap kit, you nip 10 parts off the sprues and scratch build the other 174 parts to build a recon wagon, and the list goes on and on...Thanks Paul!!!

Many thanks Mr. Benson! I hope all is well with you and the family in Sussex N.J. my friend...

And thank you too, Joe! How's life in Pennsy???

Great to see you Andrew and thank you very much, Buddy! I guess the laundry room is still running 24-7, eh!!! Hope you get some table time soon...

Thank you so much Mark!!!...

Thanks too Steve and I still can't believe it either Sir!!!

Wow Brother!!! I am truly humbled by this double award. Thank you! Word has it though, that most dogs actually do have two danglies!!!...

Thank you Ian!!!

Thanks a lot John! I do have some shelf queen projects to finish and no more comps for a while as they are really nerve wracking. See the pic at the end for an example Sir...

Wow much Olderthanme, most appreciated! Tell Mom, thank you, but I will still enjoy my Franken (most excellent) beer for a while longer as it's a traditional part of our diet...

Thanks so much Tim! Funny, but I almost did crack this biplane by dropping it at the show!!!...

I really am scared of figs Boss, but I sort of enjoyed painting these. I'm not a you tube looker, but one time I watched a video on how to paint wooden propellers. I tried his method and fergitaboutit. They do make it look easy though. Thank you too for the compliment, Ian...

Most appreciated Nick! How's things down in Anglia Sir???

I don't know about 'richly' Jim, but it did shock the heck out of me, for sure, when my name was called! Thank you so much my friend...

Thank you Doug! I guess I have to build a shelf for them now, but I don't know how big the 'Dogs Danglies' are or where to start though...

As mentioned to John above, here's why comps are so nerve wracking,

View attachment 505220Here's this old git trying to place the fig handing up the grenades during set up. You can see the drill bits that I used to drill a hole in the base for him. DOH!!! I drilled 6 holes in the grass mat until I finally was able to find one. Then I saw I didn't make the peg in his foot long enough for him to stand upright. I had brought toothpicks to mark the hole, but forgot I had them in my plastic box with the TET. DOH!!! I finally marked the hole and ended up CAing the peg and his other foot to the mat to get him to stand. My nerves were shot, and there is a moral to this bit of waffle.........I'm to old for this S**T and I need an appointment at Fielmann's downtown, for a pair of glasses. I'm a blind old git.....................

Thank you all again and have a Happy Easter holiday with lots of bench time...

Prost
Allen
Message from Mom, just for that remark you can spend the next six months in the celler and suffer if you must.