Wingnut Wings 1/32 Halberstadt Cl.II (late)

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good afternoon folks,

As there is an interest in the now defunct firm Wingnut Wings and it appears no one has ever blogged a build here on the forum, I guess the time is right. As some of you may know, I have purchased some of their kits recently. I have decided to build one as a test to see if I can do the kit justice. I have only built one WWI bi-plane in my life and it was in 1/48 a few years ago (Snoopy). This will be a challenge and fun, I hope. I still have 2 other projects on the go, so in-between waiting for mud to dry and airbrush work, I'll start this project too. I will post up some background info on the Halberstadt history later...

So, we'll start with the basics first, the box,

IMG_3446.JPG
Nice artwork of one in action...The kit contains 5 sprues and 1 little clear sprue. The motor sprue is generic and allows one to build one of the three Daimler Mercedes D.III engines used in this plane (160 HP, 180 HP or a 200 HP),

IMG_3433.JPG
You also get a choice of props to use depending on model and manufacturer. Next,

IMG_3434.JPG
IMG_3435.JPG
The wings are one piece. The round spot on the one is supposed to be there, for the compass. The other side,

IMG_3436.JPG
IMG_3439.JPG
The other side of this sprue,

IMG_3440.JPG
You can see the lack of ejector pin marks except a few where they will never be seen,

IMG_3437.JPG
Lots of weaponry and bombs to choose from. And other optional parts for different versions. he big clear sprue,

IMG_2051.JPG
The windscreen and fuel tank sight gauge. A small etch fret and 3 sheets of Decals are included. They are printed by Cartograph in Italy,

IMG_3432.JPG

IMG_3430.JPG
And of course, a comprehensive Instruction book is included. Unfortunately, it only lists 2 paint makers and some FS numbers,

IMG_3441.JPG
Not a big deal as there are cross references available. The assembly steps are quite busy and careful study is needed while building the version you want. There are 5 versions and they're denoted with A-E in white letters in the green boxes. You also have optional equipment to choose from,

IMG_3442.JPG

IMG_3443.JPG

IMG_3444.JPG
They are not 100% perfect. I have found 1 mistake so far. Some other errors have been corrected on them though. It's nice to have quite a few original photos throughout and there is also a rigging diagram page included,

IMG_3445.JPG
This is the scheme I am going to try and re-create on this build,

IMG_2052.JPG
Notice, I said try!!! This will not be a quick build as I'm not really a wing thingy builder and there is little room for mud here. Please feel free to follow along if you like and sorry for the long introduction. Still 2 things to finish before this gets my full attention. I have started the motor a little though...

I'll leave you now with a pic of the SM gang clowning around at Cosford celebrating Tony's (yakface) first flight in a Halberstadt!!!.......

IMG_2055.JPG
The ! in red is where they found the empty beer bottles!!!...

Prost
Allen

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well you got my attention. Front center for me please. (i know it is often the worse place to sit but this I want to see.

Those have to be some of the best instructions I've ever seen

Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Joining the party early for once Allen!

Good luck with the build!!

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking forward to this. Agree with Ian ref instructions as well. One minor point Allen, is that a small moulding flaw on the tail part? Oh, and your on your own with those decals…..they are a little scary, but necessary for the fabric effect.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I smelled wood, fabric and dopping varnish so squeezing in the front for this Allen. I think I saw a Halberstadt displayed at the AWM and watched a video made by Peter Jackson for the WW1 display. Could the design team at WN have studied this particular display to model it? Who knows. :thinking:

Cheers,
Wabble

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Whats this ! A wingy thing , no even better - a stringy wingy thing !! I’ll be on the front row allen , possibly wearing a false beard and glasses , the Cosford museum are still looking for me after crashing their halberstadt.!
Looks a very comprehensive package , im sure this will give you no problems allen , if you can tackle those tiny resin bits on the reihenwerfer this should be as easy as blowing the froth off a cold one , - gotta go , just seen one of the curators from the museum sniffing around - you aint seen me right !:nerd:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Oh yes - I'll be lurking on this! It looks comprehensive! I've used the lozenge decals on 1/72 & 1/48 models, and they are nerve racking to apply!, so good luck with 1/32. Do you get any rigging material in the box?
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Allen,
Count me in my friend. Looks like a nice kit with clear instructions. My next build is a biplane a commission build. Not a wingy person and never done a biplane.
I’m sure you’ll nail it Scottie, but I think you could have had an easier introduction to the species…..

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That looks like a properly impressive kit … especially with those decals.

Oh, and if it doesn’t work out, you can always try this one instead:

halbcliiis23b_qbe.jpg

:smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well my friend I shall serve refreshments , most impressive instructions, with enough variations to confuse the like's of me.
Hope this goes well, and the Rabble behave.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Short of the surrounding hype, never seen anything other than a WNW box. Not the plastic, paper, finished product…so will follow this with interest.