Al's 1/35 Tamiya Sd.Kfz.251/1 Ausf.D

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
So i've shelved my He111 and Me262 builds to have a crack at this GB.

This will be only my second ever armour kit after the StuG i build previously. But it looks a simple(ish) kit to do. Hoping to use it in a diorama later on.

Hopefully i'll do it justice.

IMG_2610.JPGIMG_2611.JPGIMG_2612.JPGIMG_2613.JPGIMG_2614.JPGIMG_2615.JPG

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
It's a nice kit Alan and you should have no probs with it at all. I'll be in on this, and I take it you'll be finishing it in a winter camo for your Ardennes dio...Have fun!!!...

Prost
Allen

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I take it you'll be finishing it in a winter camo for your Ardennes dio...Have fun!!!...

I'm going to do it in a Normandy configuration as the 12th SS Div had them. I'll probably get another one for my Ardennes dio

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Started to build the figures up. I eventually intend to show them in a diorama along with the Sd.Kfz.251 and a PAK40.

Gave the vehicle floor a coat of Vallejo Steel, covered with a coat of AK Worn effects so i can do some chipping on the floor.

IMG_2617.JPGIMG_2618.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Nice choice Alan. Being Tamiya it should go together ok. Nice to see your mojo is improving. I like that AK Worn Effects. I always found hairspray difficult to work with but this seems much more controllable.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I like that AK Worn Effects. I always found hairspray difficult to work with but this seems much more controllable.
I tried the hairspray technique on the StuG build i did but it constantly failed. I then tried the AK fluid and i am 'sold' on it. Works a treat with predictable results.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Quick question to those in the know. The Tamiya instructions are calling out for the driver's and passengers seats to be painted 'flat brown'. Would they be leather or wood?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice start Alan. Cant help with the seat question.
I find Hairspray is better if you decant it and brush it where you need it. Could be the stuff I have is too cheap. It just floods everything!
Might try the "propper" stuff one day...

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Alan,

The 2 front seats were leather in a metal frame. They would be a dark brown to almost brown/black in color. Only the rear bench seats came in 2 types. Leather covered and later, just wood slats. HTHs......

Prost
Allen

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
That moment when you look at the figures and something just doesn't add up. Figured it out. I put the drivers legs on the figure jumping out of the vehicle. All sorted now after mucho sweareo!

IMG_2619.JPG