SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Nice one Alan, loving the cam,

if it helps i mix up a 'track colour' using a cheeky mix of the following
70% Tamiya Nato Brown
25% Tamiya Nato Black
5% Tamiya Flat Red

(the Tamiya Paints aren't written in stone..it's what i had to had when i needed a track colour..)

this gives me a good base for the tracks that will only need a bit of weathering to make them pop...HTH

That ratio is the one i've seen Andy's Hobby Store giving out. I don't have the Tamiya Nato Brown.....yet......

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
Coming along nicely Alan.

I had a play around with track colour on a recent Jagdpanther build. Obviously how long they had been operational will determine what state they were in. One track received a 50/50 mix of Tamiya Panzer grey and Tamiya flat earth. The other track was a 50/50 mix of Tamiya Panzer Grey and Tamiya Nato brown. I much preferred the Flat earth mixed colour, so ultimately matched them both up.

The spare tracks had not yet been fitted so were painted in Track primer. Pretty sure a Vellejo acrylic as Steve mentioned above but will need to remind myself, as whatever it was gave a really nice effect.

Tamiya do an exellent Tyre Black now (actually a very dark grey) and Vellejo's Dark and light Rubber are both still nice renditions for track pads and tyres.

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This is coming along real nice.
I use the Vallejo pigments Al, I fix them with their varnishes if you want a wet mud effect just make it darker and use gloss varnish. :smiling3:
Love the camouflage.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
So i eventually got the Tamiya paints i needed but i haven't had time to do anything to the model as work has been hectic. A nice 21 days on shift.

Looking back at Andy's Hobby Store tank track painting vid on YT, i took note of the paint ratios he mentions and have made up the required dosage into one of the dropper bottles i purchased from John a while back. This way i can keep a ready-made paint ratio.

IMG_2671.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
So the tracks are painted as AHS explained in his video. The 'rust' colour isn't showing up as well in the artificial light but i know it's there. will let it dry overnight before giving it two coats of flat coat (AK Ultra Matte). Then it'll be onto adding the weathering

I really need to crack on with this as time for the GB is running out.

IMG_2672.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
This is really looking good Alan. Great paint job and you've cracked the muddy look. So many things affect the track colour that I'm sure yours will look just right with some weathering.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming along very nicely indeed Alan.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Added a few tools and the main MG42. I'm not adding all the other tools and bits and bobs. I'm going to save them for another diorama. Think it's time for a matt coat and the last little bit of weathering. Then i'm going to call it done.

IMG_2680.JPGIMG_2681.JPG

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
VERY nice indeed!