Alterations and refurbishment to the Church in sleepy old Dapol.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Yesterday, I came across this bit of forgotten unfinished business stashed in a box in my loft, so I'd better finish it before it disappears for another few more years.

The thread is a good read too. Forget the build itself, the interaction between my fellow members is a hoot!

The perimeter wall and lichgate were in the box alongside the church, so I've stuck them in place.

P1280406.JPGP1280407.JPG

I've also added a bit of paved walkway. made from plastic card and suitably scribed.
P1280409.JPG

Ready for the church.
P1280410.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A blast from the past, Ron. Just had a read through and agree that the banter is as good as the model. It will be nice to see this over the finish line.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I have just reread all of this, Ron. Most excellent build and side-splitting humour. I can honestly picture all the characters.
John.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys. :thumb2:

I'm chuffed you found the banter of a good quality. It brought back some good memories for me. So I thank you all for your indulgence.

Today, I've gathered some 'trees' from the garden, so hopefully I can finish the build off in the next few days. Then back in the loft it goes - For ever.

Cheers.
Rev. Ivor Baddabyt

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The Cotswold village of Dapol has finally received money from the Lottery to start much needed work on their old church.

The village took delivery of the flat pack church last week.
View attachment 399607

View attachment 399608

Should be fun, and for me, a further break from things designed to kill human beings...

Cheers.
Ron
I think church has killed more people than military ...
Steve :thinking:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
'Bout time you got back to this 570! Being as how I'm all "paid" up for another year I might as well get me tupence in. The "floor sweepin's" look good so far but ye need to get the "boys" back at it if you want it done right! Idoo, Kandoo and Mr. Effemup have their work cut out for 'em and it's gonna be a month of Sundays before they get this lot sorted!!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Rick's right! I know Idu and the lads are inundated with offers of work due to their matchless skills, but it's about time you got them back on the job - even if you have to bribe them with beer tokens from 'The Clacker'!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Rick's right! I know Idu and the lads are inundated with offers of work due to their matchless skills, but it's about time you got them back on the job - even if you have to bribe them with beer tokens from 'The Clacker'!
Beer Tokens are not, and never have been, a 'bribe' sirrah - they are 'due recognition of a job well done' ...
Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've just looked up the meaning of 'Sirrah' - 'Used in an expression of contempt addressed to someone of a lower status.' Not nice.....

However, good news chaps.
I found Idu and the lads actually in The Clacker!

"Hey, Mr. Ron, we am joost 'avin' a kweek beear in de poob, den we am goin' to dat chorch ob yors 'an plont aal dem trees aroun' de pleeas."

So hopefully, I will soon post some pictures of the finished build.

Cheers.
Mr. Ron.

Last edited:

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've just looked up the meaning of 'Sirrah' - 'Used in an expression of contempt addressed to someone of a lower status.' Not nice.....

However, good news chaps.
I found Idu and the lads actually in The Clacker!

"Hey, Mr. Ron, we am joost 'avin' a kweek beear in de poob, den we am goin' to dat chorch ob yors 'an plont aal dem trees aroun' de pleeas."

So hopefully, I will soon post some pictures of the finished build.

Cheers.
Mr. Ron.
Interesting! I've never heard 'Sirrah' used as a perjorative - it's always been used in a jocular and flippant aside that reflects more on the users sense of humour rather than a fragile ego. I've since asked some twenty to thirty people of their opinion and not one has considered it to be contemptuous ... oh well, I suppose I'd better apologise for some (unintended) slight. Mea Culpa!
Steve

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
More good news chaps!
I've just heard from Idu.

He has informed me the Church is finished. He and the boys have worked really hard.
To quote Idu. "Mr. Ron, we deesyded to woork troo de reeyan, so we could get de mudder feenishd ready foor toomorow's servees. De veekar am sending me a pitcha ob de pleeaas. I sen' yoo a copee!"

Here's the photo he sent. I hope to post a few more over in 'Dioramas Completed' when I return from Sunday's special service.

P1380612.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's brilliant!!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Interesting! I've never heard 'Sirrah' used as a perjorative - it's always been used in a jocular and flippant aside that reflects more on the users sense of humour rather than a fragile ego. I've since asked some twenty to thirty people of their opinion and not one has considered it to be contemptuous ... oh well, I suppose I'd better apologise for some (unintended) slight. Mea Culpa!
Steve
No apology needed Steve. I've seen 'sirrah' used both contemptuously and humerously so it makes no odds to me. Just part of the wonderful banter here.

As for beer tokens not being used for bribes, I am open to bribery and corruption and beer tokens in sufficient quantity would certainly work with me!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good stuff chaps.... :thumb2:

I'm off to bore you rigid and post some more foaties in Dioramas completed......