Altores Studio 1/8 Bust '' Chemulpo Bay Hero 1904''

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_8356.JPG

My next project will be this bust depicting a sailor of the Russian ship Varyag during the Russo-Japanese War, 1904.

During that war, some Russian ships were trapped in Chemulpo Bay by the Japanese fleet, but the commander of the Varyag decided to make a break for it and try to get through the blockade. Ultimately, he didn't succeed and lost 104 men in the process, but the incident has gone down as an act of elan and bravery that has been celebrated ever since. The surviving crew were all awarded the Cross of St George, as worn by our man:

rrrrrr.jpgR.jpg

The kit is beautifully sculpted and cast:

100_8354.JPG

The trickiest bit will be painting the white stripes on the collar and vest. Two types of cap tapes are provided, one hanging straight down, the other blowing in the wind. A curious addition is the anchor to the back of the plinth, and the base which I assume is meant to depict waves:

100_8355.JPG

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Love the details on their busts, just look at that anchor on the back, so cool.

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - Will try.

Steve - Yes they are good. However, I've just noticed that some parts of the face will need careful cleaning up with a scalpel blade, something I've found before with Altores.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I'm in- he's about the same vintage as my avatar pic- my grandfather- who served on HMS Illustrious and HMS Victory, among others.
Later he was at the Somme in the Royal Garrison Artillery.
One day I will sculpt a bust of him
good luck with the T shirt stripes!

Reactions: JR

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter nice choice I think I can sit down on this one sounds like there’s going to be a little construction

• Love
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - He certainly has the same look as your grandfather. One of my own seafaring connections is a great, great uncle who served aboard HMS Atlas. I appears that the ship never joined the fleet, being left in reserve until turned into a hospital ship. He was aboard during the 1861 census, shortly after launching , but we know no more about his subsequent career. My maternal grandfather served in the Middle East and landed at Gallipoli with the Essex Regiment - seems that he was a bit of a naughty boy and had been enlisted as a boy soldier by his father. His son, my uncle, was in the Royal Navy, but was dishonourably discharged in the late 1960s - he was frequently absent without leave when his ship left port on a tour of the west coast of the Americas, having to be arrested and sent on. He came to stay with us on his return driving a huge US Cadillac and covered in tattoos - I idolised him.

Lee - Welcome. I've just spent an hour cleaning up the parts with a scalpel, so hopefully he's in a good enough state to paint now.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Permission to come aboard please Peter.

I'll sit with Lee and Neil.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Nice looking bust, the eyes seem to be good and look even and nicely sculpted too.

I guess the predominant colour will be Navy blue?

I shall try to keep away from the rowdier element and enjoy your painting magic.

Good to hear you are back on the interweb, I guess the desk top might get consigned to the grave yard once it has been assessed?

Have a good day with the head.

Its cold again out there!

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve.

Nicely sculpted but the face was slightly unfinished, ironically about the eyes. The scalpel work should have sorted that. Three blues - blue black for the cap, navy for the tunic and mid blue for the collar.

There is probably no point now in getting the desk top repaired. It was thirteen years old, and there's nothing on there that's worth saving. I'm an 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' type, but when something's obviously reached the end of it's life I can let go.

Cold and windy here too - Autumn with a vengeance. Have a good day.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I agree, once there that old, and at that age it's certainly given good service they are so out of date internally the best place is to recycle.
Your right about autumn, damp and overcast here, unfortunately that means little gardening in the sun !

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Has your stamp all over it, beautifully painted Peter .

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter
Nice work on the face, the scalpel has saved the day.
Typing this on my mobile as my laptop locked. I'll need to report in to work as I can't do anything at all, as it's our only PC.
I am sure they will be impressed and might even get me a company one, now!
Have a good day, mine is going to be interesting at least!
Regards
Steve H