And In The Gates...... It's A Whippet

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Ah but the beauty of a lack of information is that no-one can say you're wrong Robert! ;)
I like Peter's maintenance idea. Perhaps with some careful scribing you could open up a panel? If it was one that had taken a shell hit, any damage would be explainable.

Here's a couple of pics I found showing some detail

View attachment 140903 View attachment 140904

I don't think that there's much beneath the exterior skin other than the tracks & wheels.
"Ah but the beauty of a lack of information is that no-one can say you're wrong Robert! ;)" ................... Someone somewhere will :rolleyes:

First Name
Robert
Now now Lauries not here anymore and I don't want to upset any mods

So,back to the Panzer 4 and it's base time as I need to get that sorted ( prob get grief for not creating that right either!!

Oh well it's my model

Cheers

Robert

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Ah but the beauty of a lack of information is that no-one can say you're wrong Robert! ;)
I like Peter's maintenance idea. Perhaps with some careful scribing you could open up a panel? If it was one that had taken a shell hit, any damage would be explainable.

Here's a couple of pics I found showing some detail

View attachment 140903 View attachment 140904

I don't think that there's much beneath the exterior skin other than the tracks & wheels.
I did a bit of study on all the ref pics I have including bovies example and I can't seem to find any panels that in effect would come off, so I'm assuming that the whole side panel would have to be removed to access the wheels/ running gear, unless the track could be removed? The only thing I found was an access panel by the drive sprocket obviously to oil/grease etc.

I knows the whippets design of side skirts took away the debris from the running gear, prob sim to the Matilda of the late 30s? So removing a section of panel seems difficult at present to fathom out ( even though I'm not going to get too much grief for trying )

First Name
Robert
\ said:
"Ah but the beauty of a lack of information is that no-one can say you're wrong Robert! ;)" ................... Someone somewhere will :rolleyes:
True all but true

First Name
Robert
image.jpeg

This a good photo of the running gear access panels I found but you know I think they built them like ships of the time ( blooming great huge pieces of steel and riveted the whole thing together ( no Tamiya cement them days eh

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
View attachment 140905 This a good photo of the running gear access panels I found but you know I think they built them like ships of the time ( blooming great huge pieces of steel and riveted the whole thing together ( no Tamiya cement them days eh
That's why they were called "Landships" and their names all prefixed with HMSL .........

First Name
Robert
Well I have been doing some more thinking on the whippet build, how to display at a later time. Well Peter mentioned a factory ( just out sort of look/ maintenance.

Unfortunately I'm scarce on factory black and white photos nor this happening but here's my idea

What if I built a concrete inspection pit with a few workmen underneath. I could do it with the tracks half off( laying the tracks on etc ( this way it would show the bottom rollers, top return rollers etc, the odd workman tightening a bolt or something and this way I could give the whippet a clean look but weathered look at the same time.

Because as Peter said quite rightly they were rivited sheets of steel like a ship ( land ships ) there are access panels on the side skirts that are bolted on so can be removed for maintenance.

I think my skills could do a dio of some description but I may have to do some more research first

Any and all help would be appreciated.

D

dubster72

Now that sounds like a cracking idea! There are various workshop tool sets available in 1/35, as well as figures doing maintenance. Although they're WWII vintage, I'm sure that they'd still work in your dio Robert.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Here you go Robert........ There are lods of photos on google just search WW1 TANK FACTORY

Tank Factory.gif.gif

D

dubster72

\ said:
Here you go Robert........ There are lods of photos on google just search WW1 TANK FACTORY
View attachment 141091
That's an M3 Stuart though... clear.png

And any British factory of the day would need lots of cups of tea in shot, a chap with a clipboard & a couple of fellas saying "I don't see any future in these new-fangled tanks Bert" clear.png

First Name
Robert
\ said:
That's an M3 Stuart though... View attachment 141098
And any British factory of the day would need lots of cups of tea in shot, a chap with a clipboard & a couple of fellas saying "I don't see any future in these new-fangled tanks Bert" View attachment 141099
Thanks Patrick ( my thoughts exactly!!

I'm going to search other pics like Peter suggests and yes your right with the figs mainly being WW2 ( little adaptations ) and I'm sure tools don't change over time ( a spanner is for all a spanner but may need to look into scratch building generators I mean I'm sure they had same as we have now like in a garage or something ( was even thinking gantry but that's prob thinking too much out the box.

Like the idea of the guys Bert and the new fangled tanks!!!

First Name
Robert
\ said:
View attachment 141091
That's the sort of thing I want to do ( just about 30 odd years previous!!

Really pleased your liking the same sort of idea I have in mind

First Name
Robert
Been doing a bit more searching the Internet and seem to have found a few pics I can adapt ideas too maybe with more to show on internal i.e tracks and running gear.

image.gif

image.jpg

image.jpeg

First Name
Robert
Right on with the build

Started with the hull as all tanks do and the Meng goes together well ( no first problems at all

Few pics of progress ( strange how the fuel tank is external and right at the front ( semi protected though

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
This going to be good......., Out off the blocks and onward. :smiling3:

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
iv just come across your build Robert , i got the same kit via Telford and Santa -don't ask and will watch your build with interest , i think Meng are a breath of fresh air and the detail is great .

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great progress on this one so far,

watching with interest,I don,t think any of us real like doing wheels,but once done,its all strait forwards, ;)

First Name
Robert
Before I commit to painting the wheels ( primed them all first with Vallejo 74.602 Negro, I thought I'd make a start on the M1914 Hotchkiss MG x4 ( again primed them first and then painted 71.073 Metallic black ( light spray ) this could be done I'm sure with gunmetal but I am sticking with the instructions. The handle is painted by brush with 71.067 bright brass. I gave the gun a light steel ( Revell 36191 Steel ) dry brush but the black metallic is fine without the dry brush. Each gun is very well detailed and I doubt anyone would want to get aftermarket as these are super. They even come with a line of ammo each ( may need my magnifier to get those bullets painted but Meng with detail is fantastic

Pics below

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg