Andrew's 1/72 Armourfast Panther G - paint and decals

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So this started X years ago elsewhere and I've finally got it to the point where it is now has decals.

The idea was to take one of these super simplified wargaming kits - £7.50 for two kits, a whole tank on each sprue and with only 20 pieces per tank - and 'tart' them up.

Below are a few pics of the in progress shots so you can see what I did to get it to where it is today. The zimmerit worked better in some places than others and was done using 'No More Nails' glue and and a 32 TPI junior hacksaw blade.

ACW as usual.

Yours

Andrew

-----------------------------------------

A very basic sprue!!

24574774453_cfe60f48db_o.jpg

Build finished

33134892666_33a78d9df6_b.jpg

33020156882_f86ca0b65c_b.jpg

49770057073_4ae03bcef7_b.jpg

49770588051_3d0aa303dc_b.jpg

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Some nice additions Andy which have painted up well. Lovely work my friend

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Some nice additions Andy which have painted up well. Lovely work my friend
Thanks Steve. I'm really pleased how it came out, especially considering the base kit was so basic and plus it was only my third go at German tri-colour camo.

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So a little over 8 that EIGHT years after a I started this, it is finally finished. I was inspired to get it over the finish line when I finished my Jagdpanthers.

To finish it off I simply added a clear coat ahead of some light weathering....basically some light chipping and a mixed sepia/umber pin wash to bring out the details, followed by a final matt clear coat.

This won't set the modelling world alight but just remember is started life as a £3.75 quick build wargaming kit with no detail to speak of....AND when I was a far less experienced modeller than I am now!
 :-S
Also it was one of the first kits I airbrushed and did so using a cheap Chinese one that came with my compressor.

I'll do a proper completed post with more pics shortly!

ATB

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I thought I was a slow builder but eight years must be some kind of record. That is a great result especially given the scale and the bargain price.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
a £3.75 quick build wargaming kit with no detail to speak of
I bought that set too, for wargaming, and felt that what I got in the box was so awful that the best I could do with it was turn them into Pantherturm bunkers … (I could show pictures if you want :smiling3: ) In other words, you’ve done quite a creditable job with this kit, given how poor it is.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That is blooming lovely, if my builds came out looking anywhere near as good as that I'd be happy.
I thought I was a slow builder but eight years must be some kind of record. That is a great result especially given the scale and the bargain price.
I bought that set too, for wargaming, and felt that what I got in the box was so awful that the best I could do with it was turn them into Pantherturm bunkers … (I could show pictures if you want :smiling3: ) In other words, you’ve done quite a creditable job with this kit, given how poor it is.

Thanks chaps. I was quite pleased given where it started from!

In case you missed it the full completed thread is here......https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/andrews-1-72-amourfast-panther-g.43480/

Jakko - would like to see what you did with them as Pantherturm's. Please feel free to put a couple of pics up on this thread, so people can do a comparison.

Thanks again.

ATB

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
What I did was build the turret, but without the cupola, adding a thicker roof (turrets for Pantherturm bunkers had that) and a simple scratchbuilt hatch for the commander. Then I built the top of the bunker from card, household filler and a scrap bit of plastic pipe from dimensions taken from real-world drawings I found online. I put this on a blank DVD:

3E43F79A-B31F-4BA5-B501-7F34B9121E73_1_105_c.jpegFB92139D-19C3-48CB-9F08-9B4CFDB1ADE1_1_105_c.jpeg35897D02-BF33-452E-9765-D4DD2879BA7F_1_105_c.jpeg

I also built two more bases for which I glued the upper hull to a blank DVD too, building up groundwork around it with filler again. Though putting the turret from above on this is not 100% correct for a dug-in Panther, it gives just a little bit more choice for wargaming :smiling3:

C9694A61-9A66-4A7F-8653-02BA40237378_1_105_c.jpeg

BTW, with “blank DVD” I really do mean that: DVD discs without any coating on them to take the data. About ten years ago, I was somewhere that had whole stacks of them (they had apparently been used as dividers in boxes full of shaped DVDs), so I asked if I could have some. When I explained I could use them for crafting things (I didn’t bother trying to explain their use for wargaming terrain :smiling3: ) I got a stack of over 20 cm of them. And have so far used them for … these four Panther bunkers ;)

79C7D2BF-A47F-4F65-BC76-030A5B841EA1_1_105_c.jpeg

And in use in a game:

00CF14EF-68B5-4111-A02A-DAEEAE74EEC9_1_105_c.jpeg

Which shows very well why I wanted the blank DVDs, I think.

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
What I did was build the turret, but without the cupola, adding a thicker roof (turrets for Pantherturm bunkers had that) and a simple scratchbuilt hatch for the commander. Then I built the top of the bunker from card, household filler and a scrap bit of plastic pipe from dimensions taken from real-world drawings I found online. I put this on a blank DVD:

View attachment 509966View attachment 509970View attachment 509968

I also built two more bases for which I glued the upper hull to a blank DVD too, building up groundwork around it with filler again. Though putting the turret from above on this is not 100% correct for a dug-in Panther, it gives just a little bit more choice for wargaming :smiling3:

View attachment 509967

BTW, with “blank DVD” I really do mean that: DVD discs without any coating on them to take the data. About ten years ago, I was somewhere that had whole stacks of them (they had apparently been used as dividers in boxes full of shaped DVDs), so I asked if I could have some. When I explained I could use them for crafting things (I didn’t bother trying to explain their use for wargaming terrain :smiling3: ) I got a stack of over 20 cm of them. And have so far used them for … these four Panther bunkers ;)

View attachment 509969

And in use in a game:

View attachment 509971

Which shows very well why I wanted the blank DVDs, I think.

Thanks jakko for that. They've turned out not too bad for what you needed them for!

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Andrew very impressive like mike said what a little Gem.