Andrew's 1/72 Tamiya Mosquito Mk XIII

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
'Lonesome Polecat' (The Hunters and the Hunted)
Good evening all

Now I have got my 109s over the line, I can crack on with this GB kit.

Firstly though a big thanks to Ian for organising this GB. It actually allows me kill three birds with one stone. The first is that this will be my first ever Mossie, it also gives me the opportunity to add another aircraft to my 'Hunters and Hunted' collection and finally it's the first ever Tamiya wingy kit I have built!

Before I do the obligatory sprue shots I thought I'd provide some hopefully 'interesting' background information......I think i can hear the snores already though..... ;)

As the title says this build will depict a Mk XIII Mossie, serial number HK425, specifically one with the so called 'Thimble' nose (this has caused me some problems as you'll see later!)

The plane itself flew with two squadrons; first with 96 Squadron, RAF and then 409 Squadron, RCAF. I will be depicting the plane as it appears during it's time with 409 Sqn. RCAF. It served with this Canadian unit until the end of the war, apparently being struck off charge on 21/11/1945.

I have found the following information about the plane on the mossie.org website;
Source: https://www.mossie.org/production/results.php?series=HK&returnsperpage=All&mode=1
Build Type: NF.XIII, Merlin 23 engines
Build Location: Leavesden
Contract Number: 1576/SAS/C.23(a)
Delivery Period: Between 15-9-1943 and 2-2-1944

And as for the name 'Lonesome Polecat', this was not added until it reached 409 Sqn:

"The nose art was inspired by a drunken Indian character from a very popular comic strip of the day, Finlayson having added the name to the aircraft and then asked his parents to send him a copy of the comic form Canada for copying. However, before the publication arrived, one of his groundcrew painted the skunk on the nose ahead of the titling, and is was considered to be so well done that Finlayson left it on." (Ross Finlayson)
“Mosquito Menacing the Reich” by Martin Bowman

As for 409 Squadron, it was formed at Digby, England on 17/06/1941. For the first three years it was based at several different UK bases (sources differ in a few very minor specifics), with most of the time spent in a defensive night fighter role defending the UK.

However, in the Spring of 1944 the squadron was transferred to the 2nd Tactical Air Force, where it was apparently engaged in both offensive and defensive duties.

It was eventually moved to France after D-Day. Prior to it moving to Twente, Netherlands (four weeks after Germany's surrender) and being disbanded there on 01/07/1945, it had been based at seven different airfields during it's time in Europe, in France, Belgium and Germany. During it's time the squadron flew Boulton Paul Defiants and two types of Beaufighter, before transferring to Mosquitos in March 1944.

Sources for the above:
https://www.rcafassociation.ca/heritage/history/rcaf-and-the-crucible-of-war/409-squadron/
Rickard, J (2 August 2021), No. 409 Squadron (RCAF): Second World War, http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RCAF/409_wwII.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/409_Tactical_Fighter_Squadron#cite_note-RCAF-4

Anyway enough waffle.....below are some pictures of the offending plane. Sprue shots to follow shortly!!

ATB

Andrew

--------------------------------------

The best shot of the plane I have found; Twente, Holland. Taken by a regular pilot Ross Finlayson
Mosquito Fighter/Fighter-Bomber Units of World War Two” by Martin Bowman

The name in close up, with two crew who flew it regularly; Flying Officers Al Webster and Ross Finlayson (location and date unknown).
Source: “Mosquito Fighter/Fighter-Bomber Units of World War Two” by Martin Bowman

And finally my research material on this specific plane.....I think I need help!!

Last edited by a moderator:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good evening all

Now I have got my 109s over the line, I can crack on with this GB kit.

Firstly though a big thanks to Ian for organising this GB. It actually allows me kill three birds with one stone. The first is that this will be my first ever Mossie, it also gives me the opportunity to add another aircraft to my 'Hunters and Hunted' collection and finally it's the first ever Tamiya wingy kit I have built!

Before I do the obligatory sprue shots I thought I'd provide some hopefully 'interesting' background information......I think i can hear the snores already though..... ;)

As the title says this build will depict a Mk XIII Mossie, serial number HK425, specifically one with the so called 'Thimble' nose (this has caused me some problems as you'll see later!)

The plane itself flew with two squadrons; first with 96 Squadron, RAF and then 409 Squadron, RCAF. I will be depicting the plane as it appears during it's time with 409 Sqn. RCAF. It served with this Canadian unit until the war, apparently being struck off charge on 21/11/1945.

I have found the following information about the plane on the mossie.org website;
Source: https://www.mossie.org/production/results.php?series=HK&returnsperpage=All&mode=1
Build Type: NF.XIII, Merlin 23 engines
Build Location: Leavesden
Contract Number: 1576/SAS/C.23(a)
Delivery Period: Between 15-9-1943 and 2-2-1944

And as for the name 'Lonseome Polecat', this was not added until it reached 409 Sqn:

"The nose art was inspired by a drunken Indian character from a very popular comic strip of the day, Finlayson having added the name to the aircraft and then asked his parents to send him a copy of the comic form Canada for copying. However, before the publication arrived, one of his groundcrew painted the skunk on the nose ahead of the titling, and is was considered to be so well done that Finlayson left it on." (Ross Finlayson)

As for 409 Squadron, it was formed at Digby, England on 17/06/1941. For the first three years it was based at several different UK bases (sources differ in a few cases), with most of the time spent in a defensive night fighter role defending the UK.

However, in the Spring of 1944 it was transferred to the 2nd Tactical Air Force, where it was apparently engaged in both offensive and defensive duties. It was eventually moved to France after D-Day. Prior to it moving to Twente, Netherlands (four weeks after Germany's surrender) and being disbanded in at on 01/07/1945, it had been based at seven different airfields during it's time in Europe, in France, Belgium and Germany. During it's time the squadron flew Boulton Paul Defiants and two types of Beaufighter, before transferring to Mosquitos in March 1944.

Sources for the above:
https://www.rcafassociation.ca/heritage/history/rcaf-and-the-crucible-of-war/409-squadron/
Rickard, J (2 August 2021), No. 409 Squadron (RCAF): Second World War, http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RCAF/409_wwII.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/409_Tactical_Fighter_Squadron#cite_note-RCAF-4

Anyway enough waffle.....below are some pictures of the offending plane. Sprue shots to follow shortly!!

ATB

Andrew

--------------------------------------

The best shot of the plane I have found; Twente, Holland. Taken by a regular pilot Ross Finlayson
Mosquito Fighter/Fighter-Bomber Units of World War Two” by Martin Bowman

The name in close up, with two crew who flew it regularly; Flying Officers Al Webster and Ross Finlayson (location and date unknown).
Source: “Mosquito Fighter/Fighter-Bomber Units of World War Two” by Martin Bowman

And finally my research material on this specific plane.....I think I need help!!

Interesting Andrew, esp the bit about Digby. Spent a few years there when I was around 10 then again when about 14 . It's was an aerial school then and radio relay station, beautiful grass in front of the hangers , and no runways .

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ok, so now onto the kit.

The plan had been to use Tamiya's 1/72 de Havilland Mosquito NF Mk.XIII/XVII 60765 kit as per the GB chat - not an unreasonable choice one might think.

However, I ran into a major problem a week before the build commenced last Monday.....

.....I checked the box and discovered that Tamiya's Mk. XIII/XVII kit does not contain the option of using the so-called 'thimble' nose used to house the Mk. VIII radar. It only comes with the big, fat and truly ugly so-called 'bull nose' and trying to make that into a 'thimble' nose version is next to impossible in IMHO.

Stepping forward from my stash to hopefully save the day is my Tamiya 1/72 FB Mk.VI/NF Mk.II 60747**. Apparently Mk. XIIIs were based on FB Mk. VI and I think that with the help of some AM parts and possibly some scratchery I I can make it work.

Anyway usual pics below.

ATB

Andrew

**I am of course now will now be lacking a FB Mk.VI from my 'Hunters and Hunted' collection given the sacrifice my existing made for the build....or will I? ;)

The kit

The AM decals - Lonesome Polecat's are half way down on the left/centre.

Some more extras

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great bit of background reading there Andrew. Looking forward to the build. The parts layout looks similar to the 1/48 version I’m building.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Interesting Andrew, esp the bit about Digby. Spent a few years there when I was around 10 then again when about 14 . It's was an aerial school then and radio relay station, beautiful grass in front of the hangers , and no runways .
An interesting plane to build. Good amount of research done. Being Tamiya it shows build nicely.
Nice to hear the back story Andrew, good luck with your build :thumb2:

Geoff.
Great bit of background reading there Andrew. Looking forward to the build. The parts layout looks similar to the 1/48 version I’m building.

Good to have you on board guys. I'll do my best not to let you down. I've started the build already, so pics to follow shortly

Tim - according to most reviews I've read from the decent review sites, all of Tamiya's 1/72 Mossies are scaled down versions of the their 1/48 Mossies; although I've not found a definitive statement anywhere. Assuming it is true that might explain the parts layout being similar.

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ok. So glue has been sniffed and plastic joined together!

Just as I was about start the build, I came across someone who turned an old Airfix FB VI into Lonesome Polecat (link HERE). In his blog he noted a number of things about the plane/build that I was able to verify from my research. This has obviously saved a bit of time:
  • early style "thimble nose" radar nose - check!
  • regular prop blades (not paddle blades) - check!
  • wing tip aerials - check!
  • solid type main wheels (no spokes) - check!
  • shrouded exhaust - check!
  • 50 gal. wing tanks - wrong or an option?
None of the pics I have of Lonesome Polecat has the drop tanks fitted/visible but as all are on the ground and the best one is a post war shot, and they're a one time use item, that's understandable to my mind. I have though decided to leave them off, as I think it spoils the lines a bit.

In terms of the build and not having built a Tamiya plane before, I wanted to see how the main parts fitted before I applied paint. This has meant that not everything is built in order and the cockpit is not yet complete - just enough to do a decent dry fit!

So what can I say.....I now understand the 'shake and bake' label so often added to this manufacturer's kits.

I like their instructions once I got used to the way they work, the plastic goes together very well and the flash is all but non-existent. So far I've only found two tiny pieces of flash that I could clear with my nail, it was that fine.

I found the way they way they did the fuselage in four parts to easily allow for the different options interesting and different. I made sure though that I left the fuselage halved held together overnight as the glue set, to make sure everything would stay lined up at the final assembly stage.

And the dry fit I did was so good the plane virtually held itself together.....very impressive!!!!

The only real 'issue' I've had is that I'm trying to make to make a Mk XIII from a Mk VI/ NF MK II kit and so there a couple of differences with the instructions. However, a quick consultation of Mk XIII kit destructions helped with the minor issues, such as which wing holes to drill out.

'Interestingly' further research has revealed the Tamiya NF XIII cockpit instruction does not call for piece that I have seen in an actual Mk XIII cockpit shot but fortunately it's included in this kit for the NF MK II.

Progress so far below.

ACW as usual.

Andrew

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Fast work andrew , looks like a great kit , cheers tony

Thanks Tony, it really is very nice. I might have to take a liberty or two with the cockpit equipment, given that I'm using the 'wrong' kit but so far I've not been able to find any definitive pictures of the rear of the cockpit on a Mk XIII and plus at this scale, unless you have your nose up against the cockpit, it will be hard to tell - hopefully!!! ;) :smiling5:

Thanks again for stopping by.

ATB

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
It sounds as if this is turning out to be more work than you imagined. However, Andrew, you've studied and thought about things and found a way forward. All credit to you. I have no doubt you'll end up with a great Mossie to go with your collection.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great start and quick to get the glue out. Seat near someone who can explain the finer points of wingy things please Andrew.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
It sounds as if this is turning out to be more work than you imagined. However, Andrew, you've studied and thought about things and found a way forward. All credit to you. I have no doubt you'll end up with a great Mossie to go with your collection.
Thanks Jim and glad to have you on board!

It's going ok so far thankfully and I'm not far off the initial coat of primer for the likes of the cockpit.

It's the thimble nose that's got me worried. According to the Hyperscale build blog I found, a company called "Airframe" did a limited run injection moulded plastic conversion kit containing one. But I can't find it anywhere but then the blog was done in 2000.....

Again, welcome aboard!!

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great start and quick to get the glue out. Seat near someone who can explain the finer points of wingy things please Andrew.
Welcome aboard Comrade and fellow pyromaniac!!

Will do my best on the seating front.

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So I'm on holiday this week meaning that primer has now flown on the internals, the wheel wells and the pilots (Halfords rattle can for the latter, Vallejo grey for the rest). I'm just waiting for it to fully cure before the base coats fly later today. I've deliberately kept the two main cockpit sections and some of the internals separate to make it easier to paint the detail.

I did though have to put some very thin plasti-card over the rear of the radio(?) and some other box, as both had holes that would almost certainly have both been visible though the canopy.

The good news is that the pilot and navigator fit perfectly in the seats and so, unlike my two 109 pilots, they won't require any radical surgery of their respective glutei maximi.

ACW as usual.

ATB

Andrew

-----------------------------------------------------------------

A nice fresh set up for the primer and the subsequent paint - I even put a fresh filter in!! :cool::cool:

The aforementioned offending holes....:anguished:

Primer curing!!
FYI the spike in the base of the pilot's seat is not a medieval instrument of torture.....it's just the tip of a cocktail stick!! ;) :smiling5: The hole will obviously be covered by the pilot's posterior!! ;)

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good evening all

And now we have green paint! As it's a fighter version and all closed up, cockpit excepted, I only did the cockpit area in the fuselage.

Next up cockpit detail and wheel well silver 'silver' paint!

ATB

Andrew