Andrew's 2x AZ Model Bf 109 G-6 - JG300 'Wilde Sau' (The Hunters and the Hunted)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So I've managed to finish both sets of wings.

One of the other 'cheap' things about this kit is that the radiators on the rear are square but you have to cut them at an angle to get the wings to sit flat - fortunately I got the angle about right - but they actually tell you to cut the angle the wrong way on each piece.....but all you have to do is swap them to the other side.:confounded::confounded:

However, it turns out that these rear radiators are pointless because you can't see them when the rear covers are on.....:rolling:

I've done a couple of very loose dry-fits, with and without the cockpit, and they seem to go together reasonably well and without any gaps between wings and fuselage!! :smiling3: :smiling3:

I think I've got to the point where I've done as much as I can without painting the innards and the pilots, so that's what you're likely to see next.

ACW as usual

Andrew

----------------------------------------------

Radiators prior to the top going on

Top and bottom of wings

The two dry fits

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking good. It's nice to have a theme / idea to aim towards. AZ models, yes, my limited experience of them is, everything is sort of there, but just doesn't quite 'gel'. They are modeller's, models.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good. It's nice to have a theme / idea to aim towards. AZ models, yes, my limited experience of them is, everything is sort of there, but just doesn't quite 'gel'. They are modeller's, models.
Thanks Colin. Good to have you on
board and you're right about a theme, it somehow adds something to it......my problem is that I think I now have 16 kits for it with another one on the way.....

As for not quite 'gelling', that's a very good way to put it.

These are are my first AZ kits and I was struggling to think of a word but you summed it up perfectly.

For example, I know some people who poo poo Airfix but their newer releases really are pretty good in terms of fit in my limited experience and certainly better than this.

Thanks again for joining the party!

ATB.

 Andrew

Last edited:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Hi all

So I've managed to finish both sets of wings.

One of the other 'cheap' things about this kit is that the radiators on the rear are square but you have to cut them at an angle to get the wings to sit flat - fortunately I got the angle about right - but they actually tell you to cut the angle the wrong way on each piece.....but all you have to do is swap them to the other side.:confounded::confounded:

However, it turns out that these rear radiators are pointless because you can't see them when the rear covers are on.....:rolling:

I've done a couple of very loose dry-fits, with and without the cockpit, and they seem to go together reasonably well and without any gaps between wings and fuselage!! :smiling3: :smiling3:

I think I've got to the point where I've done as much as I can without painting the innards and the pilots, so that's what you're likely to see next.

ACW as usual

Andrew

----------------------------------------------

Radiators prior to the top going on

Top and bottom of wings

The two dry fits

Looking good Andrew. And the best thing is.... that you don't have to fill and sand flush the seams on top and bottom of the fuselage because the real Bf109s had skin joins/panel lines there :smiling3:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good Andrew. And the best thing is.... that you don't have to fill and sand flush the seams on top and bottom of the fuselage because the real Bf109s had skin joins/panel lines there :smiling3:
Really!!! Fantastic news!!!! Best news of the year..... At least on the modelling front!!! ;) :smiling5:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice work, Andrew.

Greetings from complete newbie. :smiling:
Andrzej

Welcome aboard. Please don't expect to learn much though watching me.....other than NOT how to do it. These are only 5th and 6th planes I've done since coming back to the hobby!!

Hi Andrew
Nice to see that the dry fit looks good. Fuselage halves and wing roots so often cause problems.
Jim

Hi Jim

They can indeed and so I was worried about the instructions saying to assemble them first and slot the fuselage in. It turned out though that adding the wing tops first made it easier to line up.

Andrew,
Apologies I missed this uptil now, but I will follow along now.

Scottie, no need to apologise. I can't keep up at the best of times.

ATB.

Andrew

First Name
Andrzej
Andrzej

Welcome aboard. Please don't expect to learn much though watching me.....other than NOT how to do it. These are only 5th and 6th planes I've done since coming back to the hobby!!
That is way better than me, I have done one when I was a kid and now 50 years later I am trying to learn things. lol

It is all good, I will enjoy watching your progress, we learn all our life anyway. ;)

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hey Andrew, do you have any of these built yet? I recall a line from a movie that might be pertinent here...........

"Your a slacker Mcfly Andrew, you were always a slacker"................Only busting your stones my friend and keeping you on your toes too!!!

This is looking real good so far Buddy and a nice comparison between kits. Keep it coming....

Prost
Allen

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Andrew, liked the idea of those plastic sections to assist in the assembly. I can now see why I prefer buildings , those instructions were frightening. Your starting to make it look simple !
Good for you comparing two manufacturers like this .

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hey Andrew, do you have any of these built yet? I recall a line from a movie that might be pertinent here...........

"Your a slacker Mcfly Andrew, you were always a slacker"................Only busting your stones my friend and keeping you on your toes too!!!

This is looking real good so far Buddy and a nice comparison between kits. Keep it coming....

Prost
Allen
Morning Andrew, liked the idea of those plastic sections to assist in the assembly. I can now see why I prefer buildings , those instructions were frightening. Your starting to make it look simple !
Good for you comparing two manufacturers like this .

Hi both

Thanks for the support as always, although I don't think I have explained myself properly and so might have confused you.

These are actually exactly the same kit aside from a different canopy and decals. AZ seem to do this with a lot of their 109 kits, the same base model but lots of different decals for variety.

That said I have discovered that the canopy is wrong.....so rather than do the sensible thing and change my plans, I've ordered a duplicate of the kit with the correct canopy so I can do both the options I want....but then allows me to do something slightly different I hadn't planned on doing another time.

John

Actually the instructions aren't too bad considering it's just a double-sided sheet of A4 paper and they cover several different options, I presume to keep down on printing costs - my instructions cover six different versions!!

You get a nice clear and sensibly and numerically ordered sprue map, which makes up for the lack of part number on the sprues remarkably well. The instructions are pretty clear on the common parts and provide clear instructions as to what you need for the different options. The one place it does let you down is where there are optional extras such as the tail-plane.....some close ups below.

ATB

Andrew

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So the cockpits, props and pilots all saw the primer flow mid-week.

Today, dawned bright and sunny here and my wife left at 10 to take a friend away for the weekend for their 40th birthday, so it's just me and the kids. This is of course left me with a terrible dilemma about what to do for the day...... :rolling: ;):smiling5:***

So the cockpits have now had their base coat of RLM 66; thanks to @AlanG for clarification on this and some other colour choices.

The prop had had the initial coat yellow for the tip of the spinner - don't worry I'm not going the whole prop yellow but it was obviously much easier doing this first given that the other colours are black and RLM 70 (Schwarzgrun). I stupidly did it the other way around on the only other 109 I have done and no I don't know why I did that way....

Next up the figures and detailing the cockpit a bit.

ACW as usual.

ATB

Andrew

***PS it's not been all play, as I have also been cleaning our double oven and doing a bit of food shopping too!:crying:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrew
Always nice to get time at the bench. Looks like good progress. I hope you got everything on the shopping list and both ovens are sparkling otherwise you're in bother :smiling:
Jim

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew
Always nice to get time at the bench. Looks like good progress. I hope you got everything on the shopping list and both ovens are sparkling otherwise you're in bother :smiling:
Jim
Actually the shopping was basically oven meals as the kids wanted them, plus some chocolate for my daughter to make cookies whilst Junior and I watch the Champions league final.

The main oven is halfway through at the moment, as I'm waiting for the cleaner to do its business!

ATB

Andrew

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks Colin. Good to have you on
board and you're right about a theme, it somehow adds something to it......my problem is that I think I now have 16 kits for it with another one on the way.....

As for not quite 'gelling', that's a very good way to put it.

These are are my first AZ kits and I was struggling to think of a word but you summed it up perfectly.

For example, I know some people who poo poo Airfix but their newer releases really are pretty good in terms of fit in my limited experience and certainly better than this.

Thanks again for joining the party!

ATB.

 Andrew
'... joining the party' Nice pun Guv'nor!
Steve :upside: