Andy T's 1/48 Tamiya Ilyushin il-2 Sturmovik

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's brilliant Andy.

Absolutely brilliant

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Andy, Andrew, Mick & Geoff :thumb2: I'm glad you like it and yes, the Quinta stuff has impressed me once again.

The cockpit & gunners area received a wash and a bit of chipping to dirty them up a little. Nothing major as it'll be mostly hidden under the canopy but at least I know I've done something:

1000004843.jpg

After sanding the fuselage joints I gave them a quick squirt of Mr Finishing Surfacer to see if further work was needed. I think not :smiling3:

1000004844.jpg

1000004845.jpg

Then a really boring shot of neutral grey on neutral grey plastic lol. The landing gear, bays & doors are at least painted up now ready for a bit of weathering and further assembly. I'm unsure how much of the radiator & oil coolers will be seen but I've started to paint them up also:

1000004842.jpg

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Paul. It's ready for slotting in when the time comes.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's a great looking kit Andy. Fine job you're making of it. The cockpit, with the 3D decals is looking superb.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you Jim.

On the subject of the paints I've been waiting for..

I was taking the boss for some routine tests this morning and her windscreen was iced up. I delved into the box we have outside for all of our winter gear to find a scraper and saw a little box. Thanks Evri for dropping it in there with absolutely no notification :rolling: I haven't even had a reply from the vendor yet either.

I've no idea how long they've been in there but the package is dated the 10th. At least they are here at last, and showing the evolution of MRP bottles over the years.

2023-10-16 09.50.59.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That is really coming on, it looks terrific, absolutely love what you've done in the cockpit.

I must get my finger out with my contribution!

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cheers Steve, the kit & accessories have definitely helped.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A bit of a pic heavy update I'm afraid, mostly me fauning over Tamiya engineering...

Much of this detail on the radiator & oil coolers will never be seen without an endoscope but I painted it anyway (the blue isn't quite so vivid in real life!) :

1000004852.jpg

This is how it all looks when fitted. Also note the brace that I'll come back to later:

1000004853.jpg

However once the fuselage is fitted you'll never see the radiator!

1000004855.jpg

Some of the oil cooler detail will be visible from underneath though, so I masked it up before gluing in place:

1000004854.jpg

The upper & lower wings went together beautifully but I thought there was a strange gap around the gear bay:

1000004856.jpg

Not to worry, once the centre belly section that ties the wings together is fitted, it all makes sense:

1000004857.jpg

Now back to the brace I mentioned earlier. As well as strengthening the centre section it marries perfectly to the cockpit tub, and also the wing root, meaning alignment is pretty much guaranteed:

1000004858.jpg

1000004859.jpg

The root is also split into 3 sections along panel lines to disguise any joint, plus there are various slots, tabs and "hooks" to interconnect everything (hard to photograph):

1000004860.jpg

All that clever engineering results in this, just clipped together dry for now:

1000004865.jpg

The rear stabiliser have been fitted too. Again, as well as slotting into the fuselage they link across to each other within it, making it almost impossible to get their alignment wrong:

1000004866.jpg

One thing I'm not keen on is that the main landing gear legs need to be fitted before these nacelles, so I can't see any choice other than to fit the gear before paint, leaving them vulnerable and making masking slightly harder.

I know I could drill & pin the legs for fitting after but why risk it? :smiling3:

1000004868.jpg

Long update, thanks for bearing with me.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That is looking very nice Andy and everything is coming together very well. I was looking for a Sturmovik and never thought of the Tamiya kit until this build came out. Got to get me one.

Cheers,
Wabble

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks again Paul.

Cheers Richard, it seems a really well thought out kit. David Damek / Plasmo built it a while back with his usual mind blowing additions & upgrades, so there's room for further improvements for those with the skill & patience.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking very good Andy!

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Andrew.

Work on this has been a bit sporadic with me losing my father in law last Thursday. Supporting my wife obviously comes a long way before hobbies, but I've managed a bit here & there.

The build phase is pretty much complete, I've even risked adding a few of vulnerable bits. We'll see how many survive my heavy handed painting :smiling5:

1000004886.jpg

I'm still in a quandary about the canopy. With it being open at the gunners end there's a high chance of overspray blowing through, so I think it'll be prudent to mask the inside surface and mount it temporarily.

Head's a shed at the moment though so I may change my mind about that.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Really sorry for your loss Andy. Please pass on my condolences. My wife lost her father on Monday night so I know exactly how you feel.
Sturmovic is looking good though.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Sorry to hear the sad news, my condolences to your wife Andy

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hang in there Andy and pass on my regards and condolences to your Missus.