Andy T's 1/48 Tamiya Ilyushin il-2 Sturmovik

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you all. It wasn't exactly unexpected but it's still a blow. A bit of bench time now & again is just the tonic I need.

I'm sorry to hear that you're in the same situation Tim. Our thoughts to you and your wife.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Condolences to your family Andy.
Love how this is coming together, the wing fit is lovely and tight

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thank you all. It wasn't exactly unexpected but it's still a blow. A bit of bench time now & again is just the tonic I need.

I'm sorry to hear that you're in the same situation Tim. Our thoughts to you and your wife.
Thanks Andy. It’s appreciated. Unfortunately my mother is also in hospital on end stage palliative care so we will have another death to deal with very soon. Both of them had major strokes a couple of days apart.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Sorry to hear about your loss andy , all the best to you and your wife . The stormovik is looking fantastic , superb precision work by yourself and a brilliantly thought out kit , cheers tony

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Sorry Andy, I just was catching up and read the sad news. My condolences to you, yours and the family. And then poor Tim too. Not a good time at all...

I'll catch up on you wonderful build later, but I will say, I have never seen a cleaner/perfect fusi seam line join Sir...

Allen

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Sorry to hear of your loss Andy and you too Tim.

It really can be a great help to be able to absorb one’s self in the hobby.

Good work by the way Andy, it’s coming along very nicely.

Geoff.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Ron, Andrea, Allen, Geoff, thank you so much for the kind words and I'm glad you're liking the model too.

We had bought tickets for the motorhome & caravan show at the NEC tomorrow. Looks like we're still going as it will be a nice, if temporary, escape from everything.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Andy, the visit will be a good tonic for you both.

We have been a couple of times a few years ago when we were first looking for ideas on the layout of motorhomes we might like. We found ours but 2 mile away, that was 13 years ago and we still have it.

Be warned, no impulse buying! Better still, leave all means of laying down a deposit at home. Just take enough loot for a butty each!

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm sure the boss will curb any attempts at spending Ron!

We too are mainly going to look at different layouts. Neither of us is getting younger so a move from canvas to a tin top might be on the cards soon.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've changed my mind and I'm going to paint the canopy separately, so a bit of careful masking was in order:

1000004892.jpg

1000004893.jpg

Then an overall coat of primer. Only thin, just enough to cover the plastic.

It's gone down really well so a light buff over with a microfiber cloth should see it ready for paint:

1000004896.jpg

1000004897.jpg

1000004898.jpg

I had a bit of a sort out in the shed recently to organise my paints a bit better. Turns out I have 4 jars of Mr Surfacer black primer stashed away so think I'll be fine for a while!

If anyone is interested, the Kontor range from B&Q fit Mr color/Tamiya sized jars really well and can be stacked. I also got some more of the smaller sized ones for tools

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well, the rain and flooding put paid to our planned trip today. We spent an hour and a half just trying to get to the motorway and decided to turn back, transferring our tickets to Sunday. At least our day ended better than this guys! Marooned, blocking the A617:

2023-10-20 10.01.42.jpg

So I braved the shed and got a mottled coat of MRP down on the underside. Normally I'd go over this with a light coat to even it out a bit and then regret hiding the contrast, so I'll stick with this for now.

2023-10-20 15.56.27.jpg

And a quick snap inside the shed showing my new paint drawers and the water that runs inside when it rains. I really must get around to building a better hobby space, but I've been saying that for years :smiling5:

1000004911.jpg

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
And the first camo colour on the top.

I'm not sticking to a specific scheme (when has accuracy ever bothered me lol) as I have 5 different illustrations to pick from and they all use a slightly different pattern, so I'm just loosely following a general theme.

1000004914.jpg

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The other main colours are on now too. It doesn't look like it but there's a good few hours work here, building up thin layers. Would have been much more simple to just blast it with a solid coat :smiling5:

1000004920.jpg

1000004922.jpg

On to the dreaded decals soon, which could make or break it. .. :confused:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Firstly Andy my sincere condolences for your loss to both you and your wife.
Your wingy thing is looking very tasty Indeed with it's camo.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you Jim. It's over 20 years since I lost my own father and I'd forgotten how much paperwork is involved!

As for the plane, I keep looking at the one Plasmo built to try and inspire me to push myself. Nothing like aiming high lol.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s a great paint job Andy. Really like the way the panels stand out. Far better effect than a simple panel line wash.