Andy T's Italeri 1/24 "Australian Truck"

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks to Peter (and Ian) for organising this GB. A shaky start but now we're off :cool:

Here is my offering, rigged out as an Australian long haul road train, based (I think) on a Western Star 4900.

2023-08-01 07.40.10.jpg

This is my first attempt at a truck and only my second go at a "shiny" civvy vehicle. One was a success, one a big fail, so at least this stands a 50/50 chance of coming out okay lol.

I'm still in two minds about the colour scheme. First is the iconic blue & yellow livery of Roads Trains of Australia (RTA). The other is more complex, basically as if an owner/operator had customised his truck with a fancy paint scheme and airbrush work. The second option definitely gives a higher chance of failure but I guess if it goes wrong I can always strip it and go with the simpler design.

I'm also still toying with the idea of trailers, but space, cost & time factors might conspire against me.

Anyhoo, rather than waffle any longer, here are the required sprue shots. A few of the chrome parts (not used in this version) are missing as I've been trying different ways of stripping it off.

Lots of chrome:

2023-08-01 07.41.32.jpg

Mostly chassis & engine

2023-08-01 07.44.29.jpg

Interior, which I'm hoping to embellish

2023-08-01 07.43.48.jpg

The lovely green main body parts

2023-08-01 07.43.14.jpg

Wheels, tyres & decals. Most of the decals won't be used and I'm disappointed with the tyres. I'd expect an outback rig like this to sport something more chunky, but looking at the cost of replacing them they might have to suffice if I can't cut a better pattern into them.

2023-08-01 07.45.14.jpg

Chassis is the first point of call in the instructions and I can't wait to get stuck into all of that black plastic :tired:

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Looks interesting, I shall watch from the wings :smiling4:

Good luck with your build Andy :thumb2:

Geoff.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice. Are you going to strip the chrome?

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Great to have you all along for the ride.

I'm planning on stripping some of the chrome Ian, but given how robust it is I might not manage it all. Certainly those bits that would show ugly seam lines when assembled.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The fun has begun. I've completed section 1 of the instructions, which aren't exactly what I'm used to having done so many Tamiya kits lately :smiling5:

Lots of clean up is needed on the parts too but the basic chassis is together and I've started on section 2 which covers the front axle & turnable steering. Another thing I've noticed looking forward through the destructions is virtually no colour call outs so I'll be winging a lot of it.

2023-08-01 12.48.33.jpg

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Fingers crossed Jim lol

After a trip to my lads favourite hobby shop (The Outpost) to pick a couple of kits up for him, stage 2 is complete. The instructions are really vague as to exactly where the front axle locates. There are some pins on it but they don't seem to fit anywhere.

2023-08-01 16.21.33.jpg

I ended up placing it where the dampers fitted best. Hopefully it all lines up later in the build.

The posable steering is maybe a bit of a gimmick but it might give a better stance if I get this onto a base.

First Name
Andy
Looking good so far Andy. A while ago I had a plan for an outback road train but the cost of 3 trailers and 2 dollies was a bit much and it would take up nearly 2 meters of space. :surprised:

Andy.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks guys, and welcome.

Andy - exactly. I think I worked it to around £70 each for the trailer/dolly combo I wanted and once finished I'd have nowhere to display it so would probably just get binned. Even I'm not that mental :upside: :smiling5:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Ian, I saw you mention that elsewhere but haven't picked any up yet.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I found some Mr Muscle oven cleaner under the sink. After submitting the relevant permission forms I was allowed to borrow it, and it has kinda worked.

9 hours and many repeat applications and it's starting to strip the chrome. I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bothered and just smothered any ugly seam lines in mud afterwards! :smiling5:

2023-08-02 15.46.53.jpg

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Andy might want to just cut those pins off where they mount and you may have to move the axle forward a bit I know on a bunch of AMT and ERTL kits I’ve done this to make it look right. Maybe this is a good time to put the hood on to center up your axle then take it off and proceed. You may have to do the same when mounting your cab bracelets too. The truck kits are not good at telling you there dirty little secrets.