Another First - 1/35 CH2 TES.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Ok, yesterday I applied a clear gloss coat, today was decals.
Now, another question!
I have some burnt umber coming tomorrow as well as a matt clear coat.
My Q is; does the burnt umber go on first OR the matt finish?

Cheers in advance chaps. :upside:
Doug

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
If your using the burnt umber as a panel liner, then it goes on first, then a matt finish to seal everything in once you've finished your weathering stage..

(I presume the burnt umber is being used to create a 'wash', the gloss finish will help the wash flow along the panel lines, where as a matt finish will just absorb and hold the wash)

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
If your using the burnt umber as a panel liner, then it goes on first, then a matt finish to seal everything in once you've finished your weathering stage..

(I presume the burnt umber is being used to create a 'wash', the gloss finish will help the wash flow along the panel lines, where as a matt finish will just absorb and hold the wash)
Brilliant - and yes, a wash was what I should have mentioned Chris.
VMT for putting me right :thumb2:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Been busy on the home front but still managed to get a few jobs done on the CH2.

Gloss coat has been applied then decals the following day.

Removed the Maskol and painted the lights.

Tomorrow, may be a good day for some basic weathering, ie, burnt umber wash!! After that methinks it'll be a coat of matt clear and I'll be calling it a day!!

However, until then, pics of progress so far.

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG
Almost - 'The End'!!
To say my Challenger has been a challenge would be a truth!!
Something easier next I hope!!!!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you’ve removed the masking from the periscopes already, but still want to spray a matt coat over the model, I would suggest you re-mask the clear parts. If not, the crew will end up with frosted glass in their periscopes :smiling3:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
If you’ve removed the masking from the periscopes already, but still want to spray a matt coat over the model, I would suggest you re-mask the clear parts. If not, the crew will end up with frosted glass in their periscopes :smiling3:
Thanks Jakko. I'll remedy that before I spray the matt coat!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Looking good mate.
Thanks Scottie. It's nice being close to the finish. Problem now is deciding what next as I haven't yet acquired a 'stash' to dig into. Don't know which direction next, done a Helicopter and a tank. Don't fancy a boat. (Spent way too much time on them). So it's a wingy thing but I fancy a Wessex and I also keep looking at more armour!! Decisions, decisions!!!! :rolling: :smiling2::smiling2:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Well done and good to see you have stuck with it, all it needs now is a base.... :tired: only kidding. You have done a great job, now looking for the next one.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Ok guys, feedback needed!!
What am I doing wrong?
Applied the burnt umber wash, (water, few drops of colour and a couple of drops of Fairy Liquid), I let it dry then using Q tips wiped it over! I can't see much of a difference. Should the mix be stronger or do I have to apply it several times?
Pics
BEFORE - FOR COMPARISON
IMG_0891.JPG

AFTER the wash - 1
IMG_0913.JPG
AFTER the wash - 2
IMG_0915.JPG

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Here's a suggestion, if the burnt umber isn't showing up then maybe swap the colour for a more 'sandy / dusty' colour,

(I tend to use dark washes on light coloured paintwork and light coloured washes on dark paint..)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
My first question is: what is the wash intended to do? If you want it to shade the model, then you need to mix one that’s clearly darker than the base colour. OTOH, if you intend it as weathering, so to represent dust and dirt, pick a colour that represents that.

You say you made a wash of burnt umber with water. That sounds like artist’s acrylic paint, the kind that comes in a tube? I haven’t used that in a long time, but for a wash made from acrylic model paint plus water, I liberally apply it all over the model and don’t wipe it off at all except where it pools (usually at the bottoms of vertical or strongly sloped surfaces). The trick, though, is knowing how far to thin it. This is a bit of an art, but luckily, every AFV model gives you a perfect place to test it:

525AD8C2-A4BD-4133-8121-3238849E48B9_1_105_c.jpeg

Well, unless you want to enter your model in an IPMS competition, anyway:

IMG_4282.jpeg

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thanks Chris and Jakko for your comments. Sound advice as usual from you guys.
Well, I listened to you both and decided upon a plan. I want it to give the panels and such some definition and also have it look like it had at least been on the road!!!
So!! Initially I mixed up another mix of burnt umber, water and washing up liquid, this time, less water! only 1ml, + 2 drops of colour and a drop of washing up stuff! I applied that. (Pics)
IMG_0916.JPG

IMG_0917.JPG

IMG_0918.JPG

Then! Because there is a fair amount of sandy ground at Bovington, All Weather Driving Circuit, Knife Edge etc, I decided to add a second lighter coat to simulate a sandier environment. (Thanks Chris for the idea).
IMG_0919.JPG

Resulting in this; hopefully the end product. I don't want to too far as I'm already in uncharted waters.
IMG_0927.JPG

With all things willing, tomorrow!! I will give a couple of light clear matt coverings to finish what has been for SWIMBO a lifetime. She's probably correct in saying it takes less time to build the real thing!!! (But they knew what they were doing!!) :thumb2: :rolling: :smiling5:

Oh yeah!! Remembering to remove the maskol AFTER I have completed the clear coat!!!!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Missed a couple of pics of the, fingers crossed, last of the wash images!!!IMG_0922.JPG

IMG_0925.JPG

IMG_0926.JPG
Hope I haven't bored you all too much. But this has been about me learning quite a few new skills that up until this year I never knew model making had moved on so far since I was a mere whipper snapper some 50 odd years ago.
Thank you all for your input and comments and if you've stuck with it this far, have virtual beer on me!!
Not much further and it'll be 'Endex'.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well done Doug great job you must be pleased ,it only gets easier from here its as much a confidence thing as anything else. Can I ask why the drop of washing up liquid was used ,as far as weathering goes its a learning curve we've all been down and I'm afraid in my case anyway ruined a few builds along the way practice never quite makes it perfect but once again get a few tricks up your sleeve and the confidence thing kicks in you start to tread in places you didn't before. YouTube is a great place to learn from but trying to copy isn't a good way to go ,get the jist of what their doing and ideas then go your own way with it. Any way put your hand over your shoulder and give yourself a pat on the back . Bring on the next one. Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
You've certainly done well Doug. You've learned a lot and gained confidence which will help with future builds.
Any way put your hand over your shoulder and give yourself a pat on the back . Bring on the next one.
Here, here.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Well done Doug great job you must be pleased ,it only gets easier from here its as much a confidence thing as anything else. Can I ask why the drop of washing up liquid was used ,as far as weathering goes its a learning curve we've all been down and I'm afraid in my case anyway ruined a few builds along the way practice never quite makes it perfect but once again get a few tricks up your sleeve and the confidence thing kicks in you start to tread in places you didn't before. YouTube is a great place to learn from but trying to copy isn't a good way to go ,get the jist of what their doing and ideas then go your own way with it. Any way put your hand over your shoulder and give yourself a pat on the back . Bring on the next one. Dave
Cheers Dave, much appreciated.
I've seen a couple of chaps on YT advocate using washing up stuff in the mix so! In for a penny in for a pound - I gave it a go. Didn't seem too bad. Just about everything on this build has been a learning curve for me. As I may have mentioned somewhere, it's only my second kit in 50 or so years so experimentation and listening to guys on here has been the order of the day!!
Thanks again for your words of encouragement, as I say, appreciated.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
You've certainly done well Doug. You've learned a lot and gained confidence which will help with future builds.

Here, here.
Thank you Jim, listening to you guys has helped me tremendously. From advice and tips to pointing me in the right direction. Just great.

Already ordered the next project. And that will be new territory. A car!!!!!! Never ever built a car. Hopefully I'll base it on my old V-Dubs. My good ole Outspan Orange!! VW Beetle. Already hit my first problem with that. Correct scale Reg numbers and letters!! (I'll get there - even if it means cheating).

Which happens to be the family motto; If at first you don't succeed - Cheat!!

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Well done mate, this is the fun of modelling trying and perfecting new techniques. As you build up your collection use an old kit as a test piece prior to using on a finished build.