Any metal and punk fans out there?

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Been a huge Gary Numan fan since way back in 79 when 'are friend's electric ?' came out, seen him on every tour he's done in the UK since then.. also met the now Mrs L on a fan forum for him... I don't mind any kind of music, ranging from the 70's right through to 90's dance tunes and beyond, but Numan is my absolute favourite ..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Been a huge Gary Numan fan since way back in 79 when 'are friend's electric ?' came out, seen him on every tour he's done in the UK since then.. also met the now Mrs L on a fan forum for him... I don't mind any kind of music, ranging from the 70's right through to 90's dance tunes and beyond, but Numan is my absolute favourite ..
Not my bag, but I do remember him well from about 77 with Tubeway army, bit of an outlier on the then current punk scene. The king of cool and bad flying ;)

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I like metal too, I've been to Monsters Of Rock a few times before it changed names to Download (Donington is around 25 miles from where I live, and yes I did hear some of the Metallica set from this year)

I listen to the likes of Iron Maiden, AC/DC and Metallica etc but I do like some heavier stuff including Melodic Death Metal such as...

Sonic Syndicate
The Unguided
Motionless In White
Soilwork
Killswitch Engage
Scar Symmetry
Memphis May Fire
Trivium
Bullet For My Valentine
The Amity Affliction
Avenged Sevenfold
Still Remains

...there's lots of other bands too but my list of 'likes' is way to long to list.
Good list there. I recently saw Trivium, Bleed from Within and Orbit Culture. Was an amazing gig! Check out Bleed and Orbit.

Regards, Gavin

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Another interesting take on this thread would be to list metal/rock/punk bands that you DONT like:-

For me there are a few; as follows (most disliked at the top of the list)....

Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Foo Fighters
Oasis
Motorhead
Pearl Jam, Soundgarden (most of the Grunge bands actually)
Linkin Park
The Jam/Paul Weller

Will give reasons if requested! Would be interested in what bands other forum members don't like. This is great debate!

Regards,

Gavin.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Don't like eh? Well....

Black Sabbath (only like two songs of theirs. The rest i feel are pants
Def Leppard.... utter dross when i saw them live
Muse...... just cannot stand them
Smashing Pumpkins

Many many more but that is all that come straight to mind

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Don't like eh? Well....

Black Sabbath (only like two songs of theirs. The rest i feel are pants
Def Leppard.... utter dross when i saw them live
Muse...... just cannot stand them
Smashing Pumpkins

Many many more but that is all that come straight to mind
Interesting Alan!
Def Leopard I find boring but don't actively dislike. Muse have never really grabbed me much either to be honest! Smashing Pumpkins I find boring too. Slightly disagree on your Sabbath take but otherwise I'm pretty much with you here mate!

One of my major dislikes is Motorhead; I just can't see how anyone can like their music...I've tried several times but just can't get into them. I think their popularity was more to do with Lemmy's strong personality/character being revered than the actual music itself....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting take on Motörhead. The original band were fantastic in my opinion, despite nearly sending me deaf when I saw them on their Ace of Spades tour. Superb high energy act live. Totally lost their way once the original trio broke up though.
Sabbath I’ve always found dull. I think they are a teenage bedroom fantasy band…..with really poor vocals.
Anything with shred guitar in it I think really dull as well. Pretty much a waste of talent and electricity, with absolutely no soul. Always makes me think it’s what Kieth Emerson would have sounded like had he learned guitar.
As to punk, well, as someone that was 15 in 1976 I think that scene pretty much died in about 1980 when it morphed into “new wave”. Everything after that is just derivative or SLF/Clash/Pistols copy bands. However, of the true punk bands I would say Sham 69 were probably the dullest…..Hurry up ‘Arry has a great chorus, but trust me, the song is really tedious to play…..the verses really drag it down.

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
With you on Sham 69 Tim. Always seemed like a load of footie yobs chanting on the terraces to me....

Nick

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think the trouble with them was that Jimmy Pursey was a bit too clever for the genre. Jimmy was writing in prose, but the genre was based on slogans and appearance……

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Just recently been to see the Slam Dunk Winter Jam tour at Norwich Waterfront. Bands on the bill were:

Zebrahead
Teenage Bottlerocket
Spunge
Millie Manders & the Shutup.

All were amazing, the gig was actually incredible! Was in the pit at the front for some of the show. If any of you like punk then check out Teenage Bottlerocket, they were insane live with so much energy, they sound a lot like the Ramones. Gav

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Went to see Blondie in the mid 70's. I lived in Sheffield, it was then a really vibrant music scene, with a lot of live music venues - I saw Human league & Def Leppard in one of them. Mike Harding & Jake Thackray appeared at my Fathers' local! I went in the Progressive direction, seeing the Moody Blues, Camel before moving to South Gloucestershire - where going to any big gigs meant a major expedition!
I now use Spotify for my music - and a really wide range of music! From Pink Floyd, Vangelis, Latin Quarter, through P!nk, Taylor Swift to classical stuff ( I once listened to the entire Ring Cycle by Wagner - it took several days! ). If I can't decide - I use Spotify 'Daily Mix', which sometimes really throws up a real gem
Dave
Blimey Dave, the music and bands you've mentioned are the only ones I've recognised ... :anguished:
Steve

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
I wouldn’t really call myself a massive metal or punk fan anymore. My first recollection of a sound that floated my boat was Black Sabbath’s Neon Nights when it hit the charts in 1980. Up until that point I had only really been exposed (subjected to ) more folksy, poppy tunes like the Carpenters, the Eagles, and Abba. I did get a few Ozzy, AC//DC and Judas Priest albums but due to having mates that were more into punky stuff like the Stiff Little Fingers, The Anti Nowhere League, and the Clash I ended up at gigs with the usual fighting and spit fest:face-with-head-bandage:. I went to many gigs and festivals in the 80’s and progressively got more into rock bands.

I took a few drum lessons in the very early eighties and bought my first kit in 1982. My favourite band by far from that era was Motorhead and as sacrilegious as it is to say, as well as the original line up albums, I really liked Another Perfect Day. I even had a white double kick drum kit with exactly the same size drums as the Philthy one. By the mid-eighties my mates introduced me to a broad spectrum of heavy sounds, but I can’t really say I was massively into the majority of new metal bands from this time. I did however paint plenty of rock album logos on leather jackets. Maiden’s Eddie being a top seller. I also had some older mates who introduces me to a far more eclectic fusion of styles, and another favourite artist was Frank Zappa.

Around 1984 (another great album), the guitarist in my first ‘real’ band was more into the bluesy side of rock and was heavily into Hendrix, the Groundhogs and Cream. The bassist however worshipped Cliff Burton so as you can imagine, we had an ‘interesting sound’. I personally thought Kill ‘Em All was a terrible sounding album, and I’ve never been a fan of Metallica. Speaking as a drummer, Lars does nothing for me. He gets a rough time about both his technique and his timekeeping and TBH (from a rhythm perspective only) it’s probably justified, although his contribution to Metallica’s sound is undeniable.

In the early nineties I met my now wife who was heavily into more grungier and US influenced rock and metal. Although the majority of those bands don’t get a spin these days, many still do. I’m still a big fan of early Van Halen stuff, Janes Addiction, and some Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, and I loved the drumming of a guy called Chad Gracy in a band called Live. It was around this time that I joined another band, and the guitarist was really into what is unkindly termed (IMO) fret w*****g guitarists like Vinnie Moore, Tony McAlpine, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. Whilst not typical heavy metal these guys could rip a riff apart and the sound production was always exceptional. Whilst not all the songs had vocals the rock/metal drumming on some of these albums was nothing short of phenomenal. Technically superior in this genre to anything that came before. End Of! It improved my tub-thumping skills no end and made me a far more proficient drummer.

In 1996 I heard the album AEnima for the first time and was BLOWN AWAY. The Tool sound encompassed all the rhythms and melodies that I had always wanted a band to sound like. I just didn’t know it until now! It was beautiful, haunting, and powerful, and I’ve been a massive fan ever since. I have, since 2002’s Absentia, also been a massive Porcupine Tree fan, the combination of Steve Wilson’s writing skills and the sublime rhythms of Gavin Harrison is music to my knackered ears!

My son was taught to play guitar in the early noughties, and he turns me on to stuff that I wouldn’t naturally get exposed to these days like Trivium, Periphery and the Contortionist

As I’ve got older, I like to blend my tastes. Here is what got played last week via Spotify:

Tool
Porcupine Tree
Frank Zappa
Jane’s Addiction
Peter Gabriel
Rammstein
Jeff Beck
Black Sabbath
Motorhead
Massive Attack
Ozric Tentacles
A System of a Down
Foo Fighters
Alter Bridge
Muse
Not forgetting a spot of Tenacious D

I still like to play!

Monster 1988 Pearl BLX double kick kit
2008 Pearl MMX gigging kit
Roland Electric practice kit
...and some plastic kits :_;)

All 3 drum kits Dec 2015 012.JPG

Last edited:

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
The Ramones are my great regret as well, but in my case it is because I could have gone and didn’t! Needed the money for bike parts :sleeping2:
Saw the Ramones (original line-up) at Birmingham Odeon in about 1978 or 79 - supported by The Boys (AKA The Yobs), An awesome gig.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Saw the Ramones (original line-up) at Birmingham Odeon in about 1978 or 79 - supported by The Boys (AKA The Yobs), An awesome gig.
I think that was the tour I couldn’t get to…….

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I wouldn’t really call myself a massive metal or punk fan anymore. My first recollection of a sound that floated my boat was Black Sabbath’s Neon Nights when it hit the charts in 1980. Up until that point I had only really been exposed (subjected to ) more folksy, poppy tunes like the Carpenters, the Eagles, and Abba. I did get a few Ozzy, AC//DC and Judas Priest albums but due to having mates that were more into punky stuff like the Stiff Little Fingers, The Anti Nowhere League, and the Clash I ended up at gigs with the usual fighting and spit fest:face-with-head-bandage:. I went to many gigs and festivals in the 80’s and progressively got more into rock bands.

I took a few drum lessons in the very early eighties and bought my first kit in 1982. My favourite band by far from that era was Motorhead and as sacrilegious as it is to say, as well as the original line up albums, I really liked Another Perfect Day. I even had a white double kick drum kit with exactly the same size drums as the Philthy one. By the mid-eighties my mates introduced me to a broad spectrum of heavy sounds, but I can’t really say I was massively into the majority of new metal bands from this time. I did however paint plenty of rock album logos on leather jackets. Maiden’s Eddie being a top seller. I also had some older mates who introduces me to a far more eclectic fusion of styles, and another favourite artist was Frank Zappa.

Around 1984 (another great album), the guitarist in my first ‘real’ band was more into the bluesy side of rock and was heavily into Hendrix, the Groundhogs and Cream. The bassist however worshipped Cliff Burton so as you can imagine, we had an ‘interesting sound’. I personally thought Kill ‘Em All was a terrible sounding album, and I’ve never been a fan of Metallica. Speaking as a drummer, Lars does nothing for me. He gets a rough time about both his technique and his timekeeping and TBH (from a rhythm perspective only) it’s probably justified, although his contribution to Metallica’s sound is undeniable.

In the early nineties I met my now wife who was heavily into more grungier and US influenced rock and metal. Although the majority of those bands don’t get a spin these days, many still do. I’m still a big fan of early Van Halen stuff, Janes Addiction, and some Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, and I loved the drumming of a guy called Chad Gracy in a band called Live. It was around this time that I joined another band, and the guitarist was really into what is unkindly termed (IMO) fret w*****g guitarists like Vinnie Moore, Tony McAlpine, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. Whilst not typical heavy metal these guys could rip a riff apart and the sound production was always exceptional. Whilst not all the songs had vocals the rock/metal drumming on some of these albums was nothing short of phenomenal. Technically superior in this genre to anything that came before. End Of! It improved my tub-thumping skills no end and made me a far more proficient drummer.

In 1996 I heard the album AEnima for the first time and was BLOWN AWAY. The Tool sound encompassed all the rhythms and melodies that I had always wanted a band to sound like. I just didn’t know it until now! It was beautiful, haunting, and powerful, and I’ve been a massive fan ever since. I have, since 2002’s Absentia, also been a massive Porcupine Tree fan, the combination of Steve Wilson’s writing skills and the sublime rhythms of Gavin Harrison is music to my knackered ears!

My son was taught to play guitar in the early noughties, and he turns me on to stuff that I wouldn’t naturally get exposed to these days like Trivium, Periphery and the Contortionist

As I’ve got older, I like to blend my tastes. Here is what got played last week via Spotify:

Tool
Porcupine Tree
Frank Zappa
Jane’s Addiction
Peter Gabriel
Rammstein
Jeff Beck
Black Sabbath
Motorhead
Massive Attack
Ozric Tentacles
A System of a Down
Foo Fighters
Alter Bridge
Muse
Not forgetting a spot of Tenacious D

I still like to play!

Monster 1988 Pearl BLX double kick kit
2008 Pearl MMX gigging kit
Roland Electric practice kit
...and some plastic kits :_;)

View attachment 500714
Interesting points!

I'm with you on Tool. They are totally unique. The deepest, most technical and progressive band ever, no contest!

However, disagree on your Metallica stance. I personally love them but absolutely cannot stand Motorhead! I should love them as I'm so much into metal but I simply can't get into them at all....

As for Grunge the best band by far was/is Alice in Chains. Pearl Jam and Soundgarden I found a bit boring to be honest.

Thanks for your interesting observations. I take it you're not into the harder metal as much? Thrash/Black/Death etc? Stuff like Slayer?

Regards,

Gavin

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
Interesting points!

I'm with you on Tool. They are totally unique. The deepest, most technical and progressive band ever, no contest!

However, disagree on your Metallica stance. I personally love them but absolutely cannot stand Motorhead! I should love them as I'm so much into metal but I simply can't get into them at all....

As for Grunge the best band by far was/is Alice in Chains. Pearl Jam and Soundgarden I found a bit boring to be honest.

Thanks for your interesting observations. I take it you're not into the harder metal as much? Thrash/Black/Death etc? Stuff like Slayer?

Regards,

Gavin
TBH there are only a few Motorhead tracks that I still enjoy listening to. I guess when you are brought up in an era where they held sway, they were difficult to ignore and left quite an impression.

Alice in Chain wrote some good stuff, and again, from purely my perspective, a great rhythm duo.

The thrash side of the genre has always left me cold. Our current guitarist who is a massive Slayer fan continually attempts to rectify this, but, not one band has really got me hooked as yet. Certain tracks certainly, but not enough to invest in their back catalogue!

TBH, it is most defo my rhythmical take on things that prevents me getting into a lot of heavier stuff. That and the fact I got exposed and enjoyed a lot of progressive and rock fusion stuff when I was younger. Whilst there are undeniably some incredible drummers, from my perspective the genre barely allows any feel from a drum set. Speed is king. That, and the fact that an overly clicky kick drum sound winds me right up!

For me, this guy tears up a kit like no other. :tongue-out3:

Last edited:

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm old enough to have seen plenty of punk and new wave bands in their heyday, and also old enough not to remember many details!

Rather fabulously a mate kept meticulous records of gigs he attended (for a while at least), and who he went with, so I know on good authority at least some of the gigs I went to, where and when, including (this is just a small selection - we were mad for it!):

Sept 76, Hyde Park, Supercharge, Steve Hillage, Kiki Dee and Queen

March 77, Fairfield Halls Croydon, Five Hand Reel, Kate and Anna McGarrigle

Oct 77, Thames Poly, Germs, Darts

March 78, Thames Poly, The Pirates

April 78, Victoria Park Hackney, Misty in Roots, The Ruts, The Clash

April 78, The Roundhouse Chalk Farm, The Bishops, Pere Ubu, Graham Parker & The Rumour

May 78, Lewisham Odeon, Matumbi, Whirlwind, Ian Dury & the Blockheads

November 78, Lyceum Ballroom in the Strand, The Records, Jona Lewie Rachel Sweet, Mickey Jupp, Reckless Eric, Lene Lovich

November 78, Electric Ballroom Camden, Gardez Darkz, The Police

January 79, Hammersmith Palais, John Cooper Clarke, Richard Hell & the Voidoids, Elvis Costello & The Attractions

March 79, Lyceum Ballroom in the Strand, The Mekons, The Fall, Human League, Gang of Four, Stiff Little Fingers

May 79, Rainbow Theatre Finsbury Park, The Records, The Jam

July 79, Electric Ballroom Camden, The Modettes, Selecter, Madness, The Specials

July 79, Lyceum Ballroom in the Strand, Interview, Madness, the Pretenders

September 79, Dingwall Camden Lock, Madness

February 80, Woolwich Tramshed, Splodgenessabounds

September 80, Hammersmith Palais, The Bodysnatchers, Toots & The Maytals

November 80, Music Machine Camden, Joe King Carrasco & The Clowns, Dirty Looks, The Equators, Any Trouble, Tenpole Tudor

November 80, Lyceum Ballroom in the Strand, The Fire Engines, The Thompson Twins, Josef K, Delta Five, the Teardrop Explodes

November 80, Marquee Club, The Fix, U2

December 80, Hammersmith Palais, The Undertones

Truly remarkable to see bands that went on to become enormous way down some set lists.

I'm so glad my mate kept this record - and I'm gutted that when I went to see bands with other mates we didn't keep records. So many amazing gigs, lost forever to me!

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
And can a put a good word in for Jazz? I won't name names, but while being quite funny, 'Musicians in search of a melody' is a very unfair dismissal. It's also true (of some jazz) I'd say, but you wouldn't write off other genres because of a small clique of impenetrable stuff would you?

Take classical music, for example. Thomas Beecham famously, when asked "Have you heard any Stockhausen?" replied "No, but I believe I have stepped in some."

Or disco? Tons of rubbish that I won't bring myself to mention, but that doesn't mean we should dismiss sublime records in the same genre. Or does it?!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
And can a put a good word in for Jazz? I won't name names, but while being quite funny, 'Musicians in search of a melody' is a very unfair dismissal. It's also true (of some jazz) I'd say, but you wouldn't write off other genres because of a small clique of impenetrable stuff would you?

Take classical music, for example. Thomas Beecham famously, when asked "Have you heard any Stockhausen?" replied "No, but I believe I have stepped in some."

Or disco? Tons of rubbish that I won't bring myself to mention, but that doesn't mean we should dismiss sublime records in the same genre. Or does it?!
I’d go along with most of that. Love kind of blue and any of the Lady Day and Lester Young collaborations, for example. Birth of the cool does nothing for me though. Most bebop leaves me cold in fact. Classical I love, especially Beethoven, Mozart, and Elgar, apart from the late romantic period which I find just a bit dull. Disco is pretty much a closed book, as is Rap, but Blues and Folk are both up there with my most favourite forms. Accounts for my stupidly large record collection really.