At last, my first completed diorama: 2cm Flakvierling 38 emplacement.

709thsoldat

Comrades,

I have at last completed* my first diorama, after much experimentation and failure.

It is a Flakvierling 38 emplacement with some terrain and sandbags.

I built this to challenge the thought that a diorama must have figures, or a battle to be interesting.

Keep in mind, I will likely add figures after the next trip to the hobby shop.

Te base is beaded styro, with a couple layers of built up plaster with screen mesh for strength, covered in real dirt mixed with white glue and a touch of plaster.

I then added the gun that I made a few weeks ago and put in the sandbags and a Tamiya Czech Hedgehog.

I used Woodland Scenics field grass trimmed to various lengths for the shrubberies and some nice little twigs and stones from the garden.

While the mud was wet, i added a fine dusting of oak sawdust for a woodchip effect.

I think it turned out excellent.

Please Comment, and pardon the poor pictures, I will do my best to get some better ones up soon.

Happy Modeling,

-Chris

View attachment 40102View attachment 40103

View attachment 43890

View attachment 43891

flakvierling2.jpg

flakvierling1.jpg

P

Polux

Looks so nice, I like't very much!

Congratulations, I think now is important to have always in mind this first one, with time all will do different dioramas, but this is the most important!

Regards

Polux

P

pneupack

Nice one mate looks real class for your first Dio hoping to build my first Dio soon : ) this one gives me encouragement.

Robert

Last edited:
J

James Q

Thats excellent for a first dio, really like the use of twigs, looks really realistic. Top work :clap3:

M

mobear

the only DIO i knew was ronnie james dio,since ive been on this forum i have learned that dios are f***ing awesome,and the more i see them the more i want to try to do one,that one you have done is great really great mate 10 out of 10 from me

cheers mobear

T

treyzx10r

Great dio Chris,especially for a first try! I've yet to work up the stones to try doing one.

709thsoldat

Thanks a bunch folks, your words of applause are truly inspiring.....So inspiring, I might start a new one soon....

Tomorrow I plan to make a nice oak base for this thing with a brass plaque just to make it look extra pretty.

What should I title this?

Thanks again,

-Chris

S

sprayman

A great dio mate, very well done......wish I had the skills to build a dio myself.....but inbetween time I can drool over the dio's that are created here....:emo1:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent mini diorama Chris.....Here's to the next one!

Ron

C

CDW

Nowt wrong with that at all Chris, nice and tidy mate :smiling3:

As far as a title how about "Ready and Waiting" or "Ready for Action"

\ said:
wish I had the skills to build a dio myself
Do what??? if you put half the effort into a dio that you put into a model then itd still be the doggies dangly bits Ray....seriously !!!!

First Name
Aaron
Nice job chris, An added figure or two would be great for scale reference, also a tip about using real soil is to sterile it before use by baking it on a hot oven tray just to kill all the little nasties. Excellent dio

709thsoldat

Thanks again everybody,

Does anybody have suggestions on what figures i should use? i would like to have it be an "at rest" situation or something of the like.

Only 1 or 2 figures tops, so I am willing to splurge a little if it means greater detail.

Any advice is good advice.

Thank you all so very much.

-Chris.

First Name
Aaron
I suggest you get a set of Dragon figures they are superbly sculptured and are fairly priced. There gen2 kits are even better. Miniart are also quite well done but IMHO a step under dragon. If you are well confident in your model making and painting skills, and have some extra cash to spare then resin is the one for you, Alpine and Mantis are a few resin figure manufactures that have caught my eye. Beware though resin is different from plastic as they require ca glue and razor saws to assemble these but IMHO again resin detail is second to none. From the looks of your flak paintjob and detailing i suggest a nice set of gen2 dragon figures. They come with gen2 gear and plenty of extras. this is just my suggestions based on the little work i have seen and these are my opinions only. HTH

709thsoldat

Thanks, I was thinking resin, but dang, they are expensive. I have been looking into the dragon sets, they look really great.

I like to think my figure painting skills are pretty high, I have been doing them since I was like six, so I've had more than my fair share of practice.

I will make an update when the figures are finished,

Thanks a lot guys,

-Chris.

D

dubster72

I'd second Aaron's recommendation for Dragon Gen2 figures, the detail is excellent with open muzzle weapons & plenty of extra kit.

The figures themselves are nicely done but can be tricky to fit - the heads are often 2-piece with seams that require filling.

Also Masterbox do some very reasonable figures, with lots of detail.

Patrick