B25 Construction 1/8 Scale

S

Sky Raider

No, im ok for now. it is when it is sitting on that runway ill be ticking lol

S

Sky Raider

In this next post we have the working retracts. Now this posed a bit of a problem. I used the pump to load up the air and nothing was happening, well i ponderd for a while and decided to check the air canister firs that is located in the bomb section. Well it turned out that Robart had made a boob and the top of the cycliner hadnt been crimped fully to the neck of the cylinder, after messing with it for a few seconds the top came off in my hand, Another 10 mile round trip to get it changed. Fitted it when i got back and filled the system wuth air, well, there is another tale. One of the retracts was binding and not returning easily to lock down position. After a few forced hand movements to work it in and a little oil i finally got it to function... so i reinstalled the airvalve retract regulator to stop them slamming up and to give a little more scale operation and everything was fine.

Andy

View attachment 20609View attachment 20610View attachment 20611View attachment 20612

View attachment 27676

View attachment 27677

View attachment 27678

View attachment 27679

rt1.jpg

rt2.jpg

rt3.jpg

rt4.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Now onto the power plants. Two brushless motors and speed controllers fitted. There lies another tail, the motor mounts that you buy are a set length, i think i mentioned this earlier in the thread, anyway my good friend George made me some the length that i needed, these turned out to be at least a quarter of the original length supplied. Well anyway, it worked out fine and here they are in situe.

Andy...

View attachment 20613View attachment 20614

View attachment 27680

View attachment 27681

View attachment 27682

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

rt3.jpg

S

sprayman

Its just getting better Andy, are you really going to let this masterpiece take off, I wouldnt have the bottle....speaking of which, you shouldnt build and drink Bulmers...lol

D

dm73

That is absolutly stunning, I wished i lived nearer so i could come and see it in the flesh. Just the 1/8 scale USS Hornet to launch it from and your done:thumbs-up:

S

Sky Raider

Thanks guys for the kind words. This project has gone on that long it has driven me to drink Ray lol, You build the Hornet Darren and we will have a get together mate. be quick though because this is going up for sale lol

Andy

T

treyzx10r

turned aluminum cowlings?Very nice indeed!That weathering is looking great Andy

Trey

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Trey. Wasnt too sure on the weathering on this one, i wasnt going to do any but it didnt look right to me so i did it anyway.

Andy

D

dm73

Whoever you let buy this from you is a lucky git, looking forward to your next project, must be a Fortress coming soon and a workshop extension :wink:

S

Sky Raider

lol darren, i have in my stash at the moment the SE5a, Tiger Moth, both 1/4 scale and a real old Fokker bi-plane (not sure of the scale) this one must be at least 30 years old. Greyheads build of the SE5a has really inspired me... so much that i went out and brought the 1/4 scale kit, lets hope i can do such a good job of it has he did. His thread on here is outstanding just like his work.

Anyway, im a little closer to finish now, another chapter closes. I have completed the wing section, retracts, and ailerons are now fully working, on to the fuse next just servos and receiver etc and a weathering finish. She will be up and flying in no time. Then finaly after 14months this project will be complete. :part8:

Andy

S

Sky Raider

I just notice that this thread has a 5 star rating. Thanks guys i really appreciate your merit.

Andy :tropthy:

S

Sky Raider

Safety First Guys.

I had an after thought, having never built an electric plane before. Here it is, though a little late in the day and no where to disguise it unfortunatly.

It came to my attention that even though i will be fitting a kill switch to the fuse, it will only isolate all power to the receiver, this is the norm for glow fuel engines as some of you would know. The problem here is that the motors are run directly from seperate battery packs and therefore connect directly to the Speed Controllers. As you could imagine and well see here, the batteries are of a substantial size and therefore the cable size is also... too big to solder to and type of switch or any switch that will take that sort of load, even if i found one it would be huge.

The option is to fit a wire link in series with the Negative of the battery, even then it had to be thought out carefully, if it wasnt installed correctly you wouldnt be able to remove the batteries from the model to charge them. So the series link is installed in the Speed Controller Negative and not the Battery lead negative if you know what i mean.

Much soldering has been done and now completed as none of the gear had any sort of connector on the end, i.e 3 on each motor, 5 on each Speed Controller and 2 on each Battery then finally 2 on each Safety Bridge.

The problem here now is that it play hell with the finished scale look, im not happy about it but if im to sell it i want to make sure its safe for whoever buys it. I will run it on 2.4GHz but if someone later runs it on 35MHz and it fires up for some reason, it could cause a nasty accident.

Anyway guys, see for yourself and let me know if you have any ideas on how to disguise these links. The final pic shows the means of connecting the airpump to the retract system for filling, nothing special but its there for the record.

Thanks guys

Andy

View attachment 20681View attachment 20682View attachment 20683View attachment 20684View attachment 20685View attachment 20686View attachment 20687View attachment 20688

View attachment 27745

View attachment 27746

View attachment 27747

View attachment 27748

View attachment 27749

View attachment 27750

View attachment 27751

View attachment 27752

mOTOR TERM.jpg

CONNECTIONS.jpg

INSERTING.jpg

SAFETY LINK.jpg

REMOVED LINK.jpg

bATTERY PACK.jpg

PAC 2.jpg

RETRACT FILLER.jpg

T

treyzx10r

maybe fit 90 degree elbows at the connections so the wire lays flat then paint it to match ,not perfect but in flight would hardly be noticed

S

Sky Raider

Know exactly what you mean Trey, i have even thought about finding some solid copper wire that i can bend and then paint. I have time yet to sort this out while working on the fuse.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Update.

Hi there.

As you all know i havent posted for a few days, thats because we are at the gear stage of the project. This is really coming to a close now and will soon be complete.

I have weatherd out the fuse and fitted the front wheel assembly, made the servo and receiver trays as these didnt come with the kit for some reason, all thats left to do now is fix in place the receiver and connect up the wiring harness, once completed i will set up the speed controllers and the aileron, elevator and rudder pitches.

Finally its paint the engine couls weather and bash a little, fit the props.

Then its down to the feild for the maiden flight. The bird will be standing on its own legs very soon, ill load up some pics before it gets to the runway for you to see.

Andy

S

sprayman

I look forward to seeing them Andy. I bet the girl can smel the air under her wings already.

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Ray. I cant say i wont be happy until this has been flown and is hanging up in my local model shop with a price tag on it.

Andy