Battered Bergepanther With Large Chips And Salt Please.

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Jakko, thanks. I've been looking at pics of active Panthers with wheels missing & I'm getting into the idea. I may even "replace" a couple of damaged wheels using salvaged items with mismatched paint. Thanks also to everyone for their opinions & even an offer of some un-melted wheels !

Got a bit more done, painted the tyres.... Why is matt black never quite matt in any medium how ever much you stir it ? (rhetorical question).

vxvImpq.jpg

Added the tools, hooks & spare track links to the hull.

vnT2SzN.jpg

m3t25n2.jpg

As I'm doing this little restoration I'm thinking about how much detail is missing on the Italeri kit.. Quite looking forward to having a bash at something a bit more gutsy. Hopefully I can up my game !

Cheers, Dan

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I may even "replace" a couple of damaged wheels using salvaged items with mismatched paint.
Perfectly plausible, though I wouldn’t overdo it. One or two wheels, probably at the front of the vehicle, would be OK, but half a dozen would probably be stretching believability :smiling3:

Why is matt black never quite matt in any medium how ever much you stir it ? (rhetorical question).
I never have that problem, using mainly Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black acrylic. I prefer to paint tyres by giving them a base coat of dark grey (either Tamiya XF-67 NATO Black or Italeri 4861AP Flat Rubber), then a wash of Tamiya black, and a medium grey drybrush. This gives a more natural rubber colour, I think, shades them at the same time, and usually ends up very matt.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just having a catch up Dan, looking good. I like the idea of a missing wheel esp after seeing those photos for Jakko.

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Wheel Meet Again.......

I saw Vera Lynn sing at Arnhem in 1984, but that's not important right now.

The Bergepanther nearly ended up in the box for another 30 years , but i worked it all out

Drilled the rear idlers & the hull and used a bit of sprue as an axle. I moved it forward a bit just to give myself a fighting chance of getting the tracks on this time. I may brace them in a hidden spot. I also trimmed the tracks to help them slide over.

HL1ET1H.jpg

oYBbMVd.jpg

Onto the melted wheels. Going with Mark, I went for adding some plastic & re-shaping for one of them. I then re-painted it in grey as a replacement.

lSIXixW.jpg

qoMkhou.jpg

And for the other, I lost an outside wheel, as Jakko had suggested.

X1k7g0P.jpg

I applied a bit of dirt to the hull sides. All the wheels are now back on & I'm going to let the cement dry for a day or so....

IRrUOkl.jpg

PFgLcGz.jpg

Got the tracks and a couple of little bits to sort but I hope to have it in the completed thread soon.

Thanks everyone,

Dan.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Dan
I second the use of Vallejo Dark Rubber - excellent basis! I also use Panzer Grey (or even a slightly lighter grey for variation) enamel mixed with a few drops of dark or medium brown - with enamels you can cheat and use a wash to define the tyre/rim junction if they're ill-defined.
Steve