bedford truck 1/35

First Name
Richard
Hi Steve,

I think it looks ok as it sits. I assume u would roll the ends up? although I like the idea of a damage tarp holding together by some pieces of rope.

Cheers Richi

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stevekir

To me, the tarp looks more like a skin (leather) and very realistic as that. Perhaps making it thinner would produce sharper bends and curves. A tarp is a very thin and flexible item. I think modelling a tarp is very difficult.

Or how about wetting some newspaper or tissue paper with PVA glue and draping it over the vehicle, and if necessary banging the model down on the table (but not too strongly!) to force the tarp to mould down, or use a hairdryer pointed down to get the same result. I used paper and PVA years ago when modelling landscape for a railway layout. Once it sets it can be handled enough to brush on a couple more coats of PVA to strengthen it.

PS I see that I am the top four postings now. I will shut up for a bit!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Steve

You've picked a great subject to model. It's funny but I've been trying to find a model of a 15 cwt bedford MWD truck recently (Lead Sled produce one) and I think they share the same chasis. I like soft skin vehicles I think they have a lot of character and yours is coming on a treat.

I too think the milliput is a tad thick but I do appreciate it is difficult to get wafer thin as I've been down that particular road many times. I don't know if you know but sprinkling plenty of baby powder on both the base and the roller will help prevent it from sticking. I'd also consider perhaps doing it in sections (from frame to frame) and then joining the pieces by smoothing with a wet finger in this way it's not such a one shot deal.

Looking forward to the progress on this and judging by the replies it seems a popular subject.

All the best

Paul

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
well you have done a good job off the tarp, with a lick off paint and some weathering turned out very nice

would be happy with that :rolleyes:

P

Polux

Yeah!!

I'm with Moni, looks nice, I like it ;)

You have some oil colour? I'm thinking a Brown oil wash here, will be the final touch!! :smiling3:

Anyway, I repeat, I like it a lot.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very nice Steve, great use of pigments.

The truck looks like it's been through a few sand storms in it's time and the desert can be very hard on vehicles so I think the weathering is completely appropriate. Looking forward to the finished dio which I imagine can't be too far off now.

All the best

Paul

S

Stevekir

I like it. Really nice. It looks authentically tatty and well-used. Not much wonder the driver is having trouble. The canopy looks good now it has been "weathered".

P

Polux

Simply genial!

I think you have nailed the general colour and the weathering, is a great build!

Cheers

Polux

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
top work that's one battered up bedford and the tarp looks superb.and all finished on your quality dio