Betio - July20th 1943 - WIP

First Name
Chris
Hi all,

I haven't really done a WIP before but have been taking pictures on the iphone as I've progressed and thought I'd post them here. The scene is to have a burnt out Japanese gun position, an LVT 1 hitting the beach and a group of marines taking cover / providing covering fire for them to move forward. Everything on the base so far has been scratch built.....more photo's to come.

All comments welcome.

Regards

Chris

View attachment 54850View attachment 54851View attachment 54852View attachment 54853View attachment 54854View attachment 54855View attachment 54856

View attachment 57048

View attachment 57049

View attachment 57050

View attachment 57051

View attachment 57052

View attachment 57053

View attachment 57054

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

C

CDW

Now thats a nice start, looks very natural Chris.

Thats another diorama underway on here ....i love a good diorama base, either looking at, or building them... best bit of the hobby if you ask me :smiling3:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Like Colin said a very nice start looks very good Chris. Looking forward to more pictures. How did you make the tree trunks? look so good

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great start Chris, I do like the water......Any chance of a 'How I did it' sort of thing as you progress?

Also, what scale is the diorama please?

Great to see yet another member having a go at this most fascinating and rewarding branch of our hobby.....The more the merrier, eh?

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mobear

uh huh another modeller has got this DIOVIRUS spreading on here like wild fire,though this isnt really a bad thing as the scratch building is all of an excellent quality,very very nice start

mobear

First Name
Chris
Hi Guys

Many thanks for the kind words, and as requested here's how to.

The palm trees/logs are made using bamboo skewers. (to get the bend for the trees just soak in hot water for 10min and bend) These are then wrapped in 5mm strips of masking tape building up layers to get the right kind of thickness. (I had one of the 1/35 marines made up to give me a porper sense of scale) Then wrap a piece of string/cotton around the trunk in a dioganal fashion this gives the classic ringed look. The trunk is then coated with watered down PVA glue and a single ply sheet of tissue paper wrapped around. Once dry I drybrushed in black, then a mid grey finished with a light airbrushing with Tamiya deck tan. The leaves I've cut out of paper but am not yet sure how well they will work. (for a full tutorial go to the Armourama website and search for 1/35 palm trees)

As for the sea I stole the method used by a member here (sorry forgot who) who made a splendid Fairey Swordfish. The beach sand slopes at the shore line (as it would) and I've used a piece of clear plasticard (or genotherm as we call it at work) which has been raised up by 10mm around the back edge, painted on the underside. I then used IPA (isopropyl Alcohol) to wipe some of the paint away nearer to the shore line so you can see the sea bed below. I then applied a fairly thick layer of clear silicone to the top side and levelled this out. Then using a piece of card I dragged form the back edge to the shoreline pushing the card into silicone and drew the card up to form a wave and the repeated this to form the shorline wave. Once I've made the LVT 1 and inserted it into the sea I shall add some foam using a watered down PVA glue and tissue method I've seen used on the tinternet.

I hope this is some use.

All the best

Chris

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That is looking smart Chris, nice one.

Is the base painted plaster because it looks very "sand" like.

Tony.

First Name
Chris
Hi Tony, thanks for the kind words. The base was painted plaster but I've then glued sand over the top. Am trying to get a flat section (i.e. where the sea has washed up the beach) and the the forward area with plenty of foot prints.

Regards

Chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Chris, thanks for taking the time to explain your excellent methods of doing stuff.....I appreciate it....Notes taken!

Merry Christmas.

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks great so far chris , loving the water and beach. Excuse my total idiocy but whats an LVT 1? i presume its either a boat or landing craft of some sort , cheers tony

First Name
Chris
You're very welcome Ron, and a merry Christmas to you too and all of our fellow members of course.

Hi Tony LVT (landing vehicle tracked) is another name for an Amtrac a very clever way of getting men and material from ship to shore. Although as the marines found out at Betio the armour was too thin an having to exit the craft over the gunwales was a risky business.

All the best to you all over the festive period.

Chris

P

Polux

Very nice start, looks great so far chris , loving the water and beach.

Keep the pics coming!

Cheers. Polux

First Name
Chris
Hi Guys,

Here's a small update on my progress (or lack of it) it's taken me forever to get these marines together and to cut the palm fronds but has been quite a relaxing pleasureable affair. For anyone thinking of getting these marines they are nicely detailed but the Tarawa set are insanely more complex to put together than the Iwo Jima set. (each body and head is in 2 halves and the lower portion of tunic that sits beneath the belt is seperate too...that's 6 pieces per body.....ouch!!)

Anyway here's a couple of pics and I'm now ready for the painting.

Regards

Chris

View attachment 56411View attachment 56412

View attachment 58484

View attachment 58485

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

First Name
Chris
Ok, another wee update. I'd very much like some opinions/ideas here chaps, the leaves on the ground are not final as I think they're a bit much. I'm planning to put some sandbags across the top of the bunker (and across the front of course) with some palm fronds on top as camouflage but I need some ideas on how to produce the right kind of scatter material/debris across the beach. On the whole I'm quite please with the results so far but your comments are always welcome.

Regards

Chris

View attachment 56623View attachment 56624

View attachment 58671

View attachment 58672

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

C

CDW

If you mean the leaves on the ground are a little "obvious" they might seem a bit more blended in if you cover them here and there with some sand to simulate a bit of wind coverage.

I think the amount of debris on the floor is fine to be honest.

I like how this is coming together.

First Name
Chris
Cheers Allyne that sounds like a plan to me. I do need to add extra scatter too, most of the research images I've downloaded show quite alot of tree splinters and the like strewn all over.

Thanks again

Regards

Chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Chris, when I was looking at pictures from the Pacific theatre during WW2 to get some ideas for my 'Iwo Jima' diorama on here, I was amazed by the total devastation of the foliage at and just back from the beach head.....There was virtually nothing standing except for a few palm tree trunks, the rest was a pile of non descript greenery.

The leaves are excellent, but as you suggest put plenty of other types of vegetation, splintered trees roughly piled on top too. Keep in mind it's all been subjected to an intense bombardment before John Wayne hit the beach!lol

Looking good so far. Keep the progress pictures coming....

Cheers,

Ron

First Name
Chris
Thanks for the comments guys and also your advice. I definateley need to mess it up a bit. I've got a few small lengths of the palm logs so will see what I can do with these. I did think about cutting the thin frond ends off of a a couple of the leaves and scattering them around abit too.

Again thanks for the encouragement, the marines are in the paint shop as we speak so once I've tried to get them to look sun bleached and grimy I'll post more pics. Then it's on to the LVT.

Regards

Chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent result and congrats. on your first Marine, Chris!

You mention varnish, and I daresay it will be matt, but just keep in the back of your mind if you are having any of the men getting, or are wet, the uniforms and webbing won't be shiny, but just a darker matt colour than the original dry material. I mention this 'cos I was caught out thinking wet meant shiny where cloth - and leather - are concerned, but that's not the case......

I hope you don't mind me mentioning the above.

Great cammo and face work....

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator: