Betio - July20th 1943 - WIP

First Name
Chris
Thanks for the coments guys much appreciated. Like I said I am happy with the results but having seen what can be produced using oils I think there is much room for improvement. You hit the nail on the head there Ron, I will be using matt varnish and had planed to make them look a bit wet around the bottom of the legs but wasn't sure how. When you say use a darker matt do you think repeated layers of matt varnish brushed on in the right areas would give the right effect? I have painted the other figures but still need a few final touches plus I haven't finished the weapons.

More to follow.

Thanks again

Chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I would think matt varnish wouldn't darken specific areas. I would try mixing your original marine trouser green with merest dot of black...or just get a darker shade of green and paint where you think the wet areas should be...then apply the matt varnish. Shiny is to be avoided!lol

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Chris
M

mobear

reminds of the medal of honour game on the tarawara atoll level its magnificent,cant think of anything else to add

mobear

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just caught up on this Chris and what great work you have done looks so natural/real looking forward to more

S

Sky Raider

Fantastic Chris. The detailed painting is brilliant.

Andy

First Name
Chris
Many thanks for the kind words chaps, much appreciated. You made my day Mobear with your MOH comment as playing that very game was one of the many reasons I wanted to make a dio of this nature. It's been quite a slow old process and as I've said I've done more scratch building on this than I have since I started modelling again. LVT slowly coming together so hopefully won't be long until it's finished.

All the best

Chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That is one excellent diorama Chris, even without the LVT....

The driftwood on the slightly darker high water mark is quite exceptional, really nice touch.

Add the great scratch building, and you have the big 5* from me as it stands!

Well done,

Ron