Billings HMS Victory

S

Screw Loose

Hello folks...

I bet that Sovereign will be interesting to build.... A bit like this one :1newwink:

I have been putting the planking onto the main deck and the fo'c'sle. Also the first of the Cabin woodwork etc.

As previous suggestions I have used thin Rope dyed with Acrylic paint and PVA glue to make it a little easier to work with. This has worked out really well and the PVA makes its a little more rigid to work with and stays in place on the deck also. So definitely thanks for that one! :1newwink:

View attachment 58055 View attachment 58056

I have tried putting the stain on with an airbrush. Now this seems to take about 5 times longer than using the paint sponge its given it a more varied finish. I might go over it with the sponge yet I don't know.

But as is the way with airbrushes building is now stopped as I am waiting for a couple of bottles of paint to arrive.... Never goes that far does it.

Paul

View attachment 59936

View attachment 59937

DSC_0299.jpg

DSC_0296.jpg

S

Screw Loose

Thanks Folks.... Hoping to do a bit more when the paint arrives :1newwink:

S

Screw Loose

A quick update folks. Got most of the decking down and cut out for the masts and hatches etc......

I used the Silk for the caulking with a pva/Black paint mix as we said and it has worked well. The decking is painted but I might put another thin wash over the full surface with a sponge to give some uniformity to the overall finish.

View attachment 58759

I was thinking of putting a slight sheen finish over the deck... not sure about this. I jave been looking at the HMS Victory website and it looks like the decking is not a Matt finish. Got a few patches to touch up too especially the caulking.... some of the dye needs re-applying as per the picture.

But onto the side paneling now.

Paul

View attachment 60618

DSC_0315.jpg

S

Screw Loose

Hi folks.. I have been putting some of the sheet material on the sides of the boat tonight...... Its the base for the exterior planking.

In the true tradition of this kit it doesn't quite fit and needs a lot of adjustment.

Can anyone suggest a way to do this correctly as I am a bit concerned I will c*ck this bit up :thinking:

I have pinned the pieces in place for now before I glue....

View attachment 59473

As you can see I would think I am going to have to trim a fair bit off the bottom of the last bit to make it fit, but it seems the joints want to overlap a little? I can sand them flush no problem but I want to make sure I am not doing something dumb here :rolleyes:

Thanks Folks.

Paul

View attachment 61261

DSC_0325.jpg

R

rusty

Paul, I have just started the billings Victory so have found what you have done so far very useful, I am just at the decking and thread stage for the first time, you mention colour paint, what colours are you using? Regards Rusty

S

Screw Loose

\ said:
Paul, I have just started the billings Victory so have found what you have done so far very useful, I am just at the decking and thread stage for the first time, you mention colour paint, what colours are you using? Regards Rusty
Hiya Rusty.... I am using the Admiralty Paints Wallnut Brown.

Its great to use, really thin and goes a long way. I used an airbrush but not sure I would again, I might use a very small sponge as it seems to give a good coating.

It will be good to see how you get on..... I am putting the laser cut side paneling on now, it takes a bit of molding and modification so be prepared :smiling3:

Paul

R

rusty

Paul, thanks for the info, after reading your post about the side panels I had a quick look, it looks like the planking could be fun as I guess you have to fit around all the gun ports and hull openings, Rusty

C

cadgey101

Hi Paul, first time builder here - your info has been hugely helpful so far. may i ask if you are using any varnish on the decking after you've finished painting it? also i see in your post on 10-02 the cabin separator appears a slightly darker colour than the decking; how have you acheived this? looks like a great build, im not too far behind you! Many thanks, Sam

S

Screw Loose

\ said:
Hi Paul, first time builder here - your info has been hugely helpful so far. may i ask if you are using any varnish on the decking after you've finished painting it? also i see in your post on 10-02 the cabin separator appears a slightly darker colour than the decking; how have you achieved this? looks like a great build, im not too far behind you! Many thanks, Sam
Hiya Sam... apologies in the delay getting back I have been away and busy with work.

Thanks though :thumbs-up:

I have just varied the colours by mixing the paints together really. I have used brushes, the airbrush and a small firm sponge. To be honest for the large flat surfaces I have found the sponge to the best as long as you don't press to hard and leave uneven coats. The airbrush has been good for the fine detail, I hate brush marks. With regards to varnish I think I will use a Sheen finish varnish on some surfaces and a dull flat on others. Might make it look kind of weathered.

I am using the Admiralty paints, which have been great and easily thinned.

Hope your enjoying it :1newwink:

S

Screw Loose

Hi folks its been a while as the other post says but getting back into it.

I am now ready for the planking.... the bit I have been dreading for ages but got to dive in somewhere. I got the gallery frames sorted after a bit of modification and adjustment. Thankfully lots of fine pins and good glue helps.

Here are a few pics before I finished the Gallery section....

View attachment 65111 View attachment 65112 View attachment 65117

I have chamfered the frames on the stern and the bow sections a little to give the planks a greater surface to adhere to.

So that's all the seams filled and sanded and now for the planking.... I assume you have to put the planking on from the deck downwards? Anyone got any hints?

Thanks for the help folks.

Paul

View attachment 66260

View attachment 66261

View attachment 66266

Sternwip1.jpg

sternwip2.jpg

DSC_0398.jpg

Last edited:
S

Sky Raider

Nice work Paul, lets have some more of it mate lol

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi folks its been a while as the other post says but getting back into it.I am now ready for the planking.... the bit I have been dreading for ages but got to dive in somewhere. I got the gallery frames sorted after a bit of modification and adjustment. Thankfully lots of fine pins and good glue helps.

Here are a few pics before I finished the Gallery section....

View attachment 65111 View attachment 65112

I have chamfered the frame on the stern and the bow sections a little to give the planks a greater surface to adhere to.

So that's all the seams filled and sanded and now for the planking.... I assume you have to put the planking on from the deck downwards? Anyone got any hints?

Thanks for the help folks.

Paul
OOOOppps missed the bottom bit. Plank from the bottom up Paul not the other way round. When I do it I spot glue with CA and use a kicker it makes the job a lot easier and faster, no pins or tape needed.

Andy

S

Screw Loose

\ said:
OOOOppps missed the bottom bit. Plank from the bottom up Paul not the other way round. When I do it I spot glue with CA and use a kicker it makes the job a lot easier and faster, no pins or tape needed.Andy
Thanks Andy... Glad I asked now :cheesygrin:

What glue and kicker do you use?

Paul

S

Sky Raider

I use thick ZAP and ZAP Kicker mate. always good to ask if your not sure, someone will always be happy to help.

Take a look at my Imara build and look at the maintenance boat I just built. gives you some idea,

Cheers

Andy

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Hi folks... yea the instructions are bloody awfull.Its almost like they have been designed by the Ministry of Defence!

Thanks Steve I will have a look.

Paul
I think you will find they were drawn up by The Council ...................

Peter

C

cadgey101

Hi Paul,

The build looks great! Very nice work with the gallery. I took your advice with the admiralty paints - its such a painstaking process getting the colour just right (and uniform!) if you've watered down the mix.

In case you missed it, i'm also making a build log; i'm slightly behind you but it may be of some use to you sometime. The link for the thread is: http://www.scale-models.co.uk/general-boat-chat/19238-cadgeys-billing-hms-victory.html#post167317

Keep up the good work,

Sam

C

Caledonia

Paul, Have a look at this website re-planking. Cheers Derek

USS Constitution, United States Frigate, 1797 Planking Process