Billings HMS Victory

S

steve244

builds coming along really well Paul and you have done a good job on the planking, i have always found it easier to cut the planks up into shorter lengths so they would cover about 4 or 5 frames depending on the size of the model or if you wanted you cut measure them to scale. anyway with the planks being shorter they are more managable and i could place them in a jug of water to soak them and then i used a soldering iron to help bend them over a small block of wood with a couple of curves cut out of it so that i had something to help shape the plank and slowly get the curve i needed, it does not matter if you dont get the full curve straight away i could just place it back in the jug to soak and go back to it later.

hope this helps those of you starting this cos its a little late for you know paul as you've got it covered

cheers steve

S

Sky Raider

That's a fantastic job you did there Paul. Planking always looks a bit daunting the first time you do it but when you have done it once its no to scary the next time. Top job mate.

Andy

S

Screw Loose

\ said:
That's a fantastic job you did there Paul. Planking always looks a bit daunting the first time you do it but when you have done it once its no to scary the next time. Top job mate.Andy
Thanks Andy....

Took me ages to get the courage to dive in :smiling3: Next time I will do what Steve said and cut shorter planks. Just about at the limit of skill and time here ;)

S

steve244

Hi Paul the thing is mate to just take your time as like Andy said it is/can be a daunting task and like myself the first time i had done this was on my billings model of the Mary Ann and the one i am doing now is only my second attempt at planking, but i felt more comfortable the second time around and hopefully i will improve as time goes on.

Having said this i did spend alot of time watching youtube and bought a couple of books to help me with my current build and i think it paid off for me in doing a better job i know i learned alot doing this and spending a few pounds to help me make better models that i can be proud of has been well worth the effort and also this forum and it's members have also helped with the comments and tips along the way, and once i have finnished this build will be in no small part due to the members here because they gave me the confidence to push myself and if i can help you in any way then just ask and if i can i will.

cheers steve

S

Screw Loose

Hi folks... Now that Christmas is out of the way I can get back on with more important things like building boats! :smiling3:

I finished the planking on the Hull and most of the Hull painting. I eventually went over the lot with a mix of soft filler and pva with Sandpaper. I etched out some of the detail planking on the hull but that's on ongoing job.

The hull for the most part is painted.... Just needs some finishing touches and cleaning up.

The decking had a bit of a disaster! Spilled paint!!! I could of cried! :mad: I have had to re-paint which was fine but lost some of the caulking.... I am going to re-do that in-situ, which will be fun.

Now on with some of the fittings, Hatches and Rails etc..... So onwards.

Paul

View attachment 77608

View attachment 77609

View attachment 77610

View attachment 77611

Stern-2-pd-web.jpg

Bow-11-web.jpg

QD1-web.jpg

CU-B1-web.jpg

Last edited:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good Paul. Bugger about the spilled paint, an undie ripping moment I bet. Looks like you have it back under control.