Bird Watching a Relaxing Hobby

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
We have just had 18 young starlings in the new cut grass. I think they where happy.
They seems to have had a perfect year for breeding, we have had a record number of young, all very keen on mealy worms.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A good year for all the feathered friends, some more welcomed than others. On the less gappy side is a whole flock of magpie!
There ust be twenty or more all of which went to war in the tree outside our bedroom window. At 3:30 this a.m.

• Sad
Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A good year for all the feathered friends, some more welcomed than others. On the less gappy side is a whole flock of magpie!
There ust be twenty or more all of which went to war in the tree outside our bedroom window. At 3:30 this a.m.
Ian , just yesterday we saw a Magpie being chased by a Collared Dove, it was in full pursuit.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'd have expected the other way around!
Pete
Yes indeed, but think an incursion by the Magpie into the nesting area was the result.

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
We are near Edinburgh now - visited Cramond Island, accessible twice daily at low tide, concrete pylons are about 3 metres tall, installed to stop U Boats sneaking in..... nice views of the 3 bridges and of course plenty of birds around! - heron and curlew DSC09957.jpgIMG_2292.jpgDSC09953.jpgDSC09971.jpgDSC09952.jpg

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My female Black Bird is back, suddenly turned up yesterday and followed me around the garden while I was watering.
This afternoon she landed on the back of a chair and stared at me, with her head on one side, as if asking for food. Put some on the table and called her.
2022.jpg

2022_2.jpg
2022_3.jpg
Just shows how trusting she is, I moved my hand onto the table and she didn't bother.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's great John. It's a wonderful feeling when a wild creature shows such trust. At the moment the hot weather means water is needed more than food.
Jim

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's great John. It's a wonderful feeling when a wild creature shows such trust. At the moment the hot weather means water is needed more than food.
Jim
It is indeed Jim. Yesterday she was waiting for the water to soak into the soil and bring worms to the surface . The water from the filter house runs back into the pond through some stones, most mornings there are birds drinking and bathing. We sit for hrs watching them .

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
not exactly a hobby, but the wife and I love to see small birds in the garden (or anywhere come to that)
we had a family of blue tits nesting in a small box on our fence last year, unfortunately not this year, but plenty of sparrows and a couple of Robins.
I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but we also have a family of squirrels in a tree or at least 3 we've seen
my wife put's peanuts out for them. :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice….something of the kookaburra about him……same genus I know…..

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Really nice images on this thread. Well done to all....
Here's a few from me 'ols.

A family of Canada Geese
P1330119.JPG

.....just 18 days later. Look how the babies have grown! There are still 6 youngsters, but one refused to come into shot. A bit fuzzy 'cos I was a long way from the group.
P1330187.JPG

My wife's favourite seabird. The Oyster Catcher.
DSC00257.JPG

A Heron. I snapped this from my canoe.
P1330663 (2).JPG

We always take a bird feeder with us when we go camping. You never know what might turn up ( More on this later !) ;)
A Nuthatch.
P1330207.JPG

Then along came it's offspring.
P1330266.JPG

A Great Tit and Child.
P1330219.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
A mallard, disturbed by a wandering tourist, taking off in the Dolomiti area. I'm still wondering how I managed to get it. It was just instinctive shooting as I was trying to stealthily approach its group for some more detailed pics .
IMG_0348.JPG
This is the group, now waterborne, I was trying to capture with my camera on land.
IMG_0347.JPG
With today heat I would happily join the mallards in the stream, even squeaking, if needed! :face-with-thermometer::dizzy:
Andrea

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just seen this on my back lawn…….apologies for the grainy picture, but it was taken using an IPad, on maximum zoom, through an upstairs window…..
EB351147-1F3E-4737-A46A-F493C0403A50.jpeg
It’s a green woodpecker, very difficult to tell I know. We seem to get them at this time of year, probably after the ants that live in the lawn.