BMP -2 In Aleppo - or maybe something else - I am torn....

BMP-2 or Technical w. ZSU 23-2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hello gents - season's greeting to you all

as some of you know I am currently building a Syrian Civil war diorama. Construction is well underway and details can be found Here

Story in brief:
Originally supposes a BMP - 2 being in a area deemed "under control" by the regime forces and the troops feels safe enough to expose themselves and talk to regime forces on the ground. One rebel will be throwing a Molotov from a rooftop - Tactically it must be considered a desperate "last ditch " attack as the Regime troops on the ground would encircle the buildings and isolate the fighter in them.
For a long time I have been working with the vehicle involved would be a BMP-2 and construction is well underway details Here.
Recently however, I have begun to consider using a Technical mounting a ZSU 23 -2 instead (often used by both sides).
They both have merits. Both are conflict specific - the BMP has a SARAB II and improvised side armor, and the technical - well, this configuration is quite prolific in the Syrian theater of operation. Both works with the story - guy standing on sidewalk talking to the driver thinking the area is cleared. Both can be presented as
really battered and weathered vehicles allowing for a wide application of weathering techniques. Both can work well as vignette / stand - alone models.

Technical - pros and cons
Pros: Fast and easy build. Smaller vehicle leaving more space on the plate ATM with the BMP I feel the scene is a bit "compressed".
Cons: The ZSU not withstanding It is a civilian vehicle - i might not be as interesting - This I feel will depend on the level of detailing to the vehicle.

BMP - pros and cons
Pros: with the counter measures added to the vehicle - impro - side armor and the SARAB II (homegrown Syrian infra red jammer) in the configuration I am using it might be unique to the Syrian cvil War, wheres as the technical with the ZSU is ubiquitous to many LICs.

Cons: Large vehicle, although construction is underway, alot of tedious tasks remain especially the Fruil tracks - drilling out and inserting steel pins.. The threat of a molotov might be clearer in the soft skin Technical .

So, which one would you choose?
Pics of the scene with the BMP
AGE27eO.jpg