BMW R80 restoration

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So the Honda is done and the next project is commenced!

This old girl is battered. She was donated to me or destined for a scrap yard. A lifetime of outside storage has taken its toll but nothing a full rebuild, plenty of parts washing, vapour blasting, powder coating etc can't solve.

Intend to turn it into a cafe racer. Will change handle bars, shocks, seat and wheels (for wire spoke type) as well as a full strip and rebuild.
Also all red will become black.

IMG_20211001_112902.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I must admit, a shaft drive Boxer cafe racer seems a bit of an anachronism …..
Bet it will be fun finding out though….bring it on!

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Looks like quite a late model with the mono-lever rear end. I'll follow along if you don't mind....

Nick

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
1989 model Nick (I checked the V5 today).

So strated a small but of stripping today which turned into an 85% strip.
The old girls had a hard life but a nut and bolt rebuild will be a new lease of life. I plan to:
1. Remove, strip, OH and rebuild engine.
2. Clean and vapour blast all that can be and have painting, powder coating and plating done as required.
3. New wheels (wire spoke).
4. Ohlins front forks and rear mono.
5. All bearings and seals to replace.
6. Strip and rebuild shaft drive.
7. Brakes full strip and rebuild, new discs.
8. Bend/weld new rear sub frame.
9. Make new seat.
10. Strip and repaint tank.
11. Build battery housing and handle bars.
12. OH anything else not listed.

So more than I expected done today.

IMG_20211024_155415.jpgIMG_20211024_155406.jpgIMG_20211024_150558.jpgIMG_20211024_143848.jpgIMG_20211024_132336.jpgIMG_20211024_120447.jpgIMG_20211024_115430.jpgIMG_20211024_113632.jpgIMG_20211024_112718.jpgIMG_20211024_112615.jpg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good luck with the project!

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Yes it has to be said the more I took off the worse it's got. However, on the positive side the engine is good and will look spot on when it's been stripped and vapour blasted and fully rebuilt. Frame is good and sound and will look spot on once vapour blasted and powder coated.
Seat and sub frame I will make from scratch.
Tank is fine. Carbs are good. Battery mount etc are ruined but that will go where old air box was anyway as I will have air filters on the individual carbs which saves a lot of space.
Exhausts are sleeved which is good though I am currently TIGing them in place as full sections. Silencers will be new as will suspension. Also full rewire will be done. Want to reuse as much as possible but also have nice new components where required and some of my own custom creations.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hats off to you james , im always in awe of anyone doing this sort of thing , be it car , bike , whatever . A very good knowledge of the subject and processes is always required and you've got that evidently . Looking forward to the end result ( btw you’ll probably do this quicker than one of my average kit builds !! )

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Hats off to you james , im always in awe of anyone doing this sort of thing , be it car , bike , whatever . A very good knowledge of the subject and processes is always required and you've got that evidently . Looking forward to the end result ( btw you’ll probably do this quicker than one of my average kit builds !! )

I think I lack the knowledge of any of it, just making it up as I go along really :D But thanks anyway, the speed of getting it stripped surprised me actually. Awaiting a massive tray for parts washing.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So it appears that I haven't posted for a while.

At the stage where I have a front wheel and suspension, frame, engine block, swing arm/drive shaft, rear wheel and a fuel tank, plus a box of bits.

I have used the plasma to cut away all bits of the frame I don't want, angle ground them back and just need to remove the head stock cups before frame is ready for clean up and paint removal and prepping of welding on new sub frame.
Bearing cups are recessed so going to have to weld bar onto them to enable removal, along with plenty of heat on the collar!

Haven't begun the engine OH yet, wondering how far to go with it.
Probably do suspension first as that's a nice simple job.

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Haven't begun the engine OH yet, wondering how far to go with it.

Unless it's done huge mileage or has obvious signs of abuse, I'd probably be inclined to split the engine/gearbox and eyeball the clutch parts with a view to any replacement parts needed and to check for any oil contamination thanks to a leaky crank seal. And pull off the front cover and replace the timing chain.

These would be awkward jobs once it's all back together....

Looking forward to some more pictures.

Nick.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Unless it's done huge mileage or has obvious signs of abuse, I'd probably be inclined to split the engine/gearbox and eyeball the clutch parts with a view to any replacement parts needed and to check for any oil contamination thanks to a leaky crank seal. And pull off the front cover and replace the timing chain.

These would be awkward jobs once it's all back together....

Looking forward to some more pictures.

Nick.

So I've already split gearbox/clutch and no signs of leaks though clutch will be replaced as it doesn't look great.
Front cover etc is all off as needed to do this to remove engine so will replace timing chain. Plan to take off heads so I can see inside as well and check for scoring/damaged rings.
Will also pop off sump cover and have a look inside.

It's done fairly high milage but was always serviced annually so hope it's all ok internally. If it needs fully stripping and rebuilding it's not the end of the word.

Photos of frame as is and will post engine photos tomorrow.if I get over to where it is.

IMG_20211122_202229.jpgIMG_20211122_202226.jpgIMG_20211122_202221.jpg

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Looking at what came out of the engine today I'm leaning towards fully strip and rebuild.
Not such clean oil and I think for the extra work a strip and rebuild is the way to go.

IMG_20211123_164938.jpgIMG_20211123_163055.jpgIMG_20211123_162859.jpgIMG_20211123_162856.jpgIMG_20211123_155514.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Coming along handsomely James. Rather a mucky beastie though….