BMW R80 restoration

First Name
Hong
Hi Ancientmariner,

Does your boxer engine makes a manly mumble sound?

I had a chance to visit a car show, and a Subie WRX sounded absolutely fantastic, well....at least to a nerd like me.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Hi Ancientmariner,

Does your boxer engine makes a manly mumble sound?

I had a chance to visit a car show, and a Subie WRX sounded absolutely fantastic, well....at least to a nerd like me.
It makes no noise at all currently and won't for some time as there are boxes of components everywhere.

For nosie I favour the German V8s

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So unfortunately I do not have an up to date photo but the rods are in, crowns on and barrels and heads on as well though not tightened. Honed the cylinders and fitted new piston rings. Hoping when I return to make some substantial progress and maybe get it running even if its just on the bench. As always spares for something this age are a pain, especially when stuff that should fit doesn't.

image.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just had a read through James, looked a massive task to undertake.
You certainly have the skill , most impressive work .

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
james,
Just had a catch up. Your doing a great job, but I must say I'm jealous of your garage.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
James coming on very nicely.

Out if interest do you have to tell the DVLA about what bodywork there is and the tank changing colour?

ATB.

Andrew

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
James coming on very nicely.

Out if interest do you have to tell the DVLA about what bodywork there is and the tank changing colour?

ATB.

Andrew
DVLA will need to be, as frame has been heavily modified as well, tank colour will change so though a lot of it is the same it will be a different bike basically

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So engine is pretty much done, just rebuilding carbs, got spark plugs to go in once delivered and then got to fit clutch and also strip and rebuild the gearbox.

Started stripping the forks as well today, going to repaint them and then rebuild them. Also got to get the wheels powder coated once I have got the bearings out.

IMG_20230920_153013.jpgIMG_20230920_135129.jpg

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Just had an enjoyable period reading all of this rebuild. Brought a few memories back. I could almost smell the old engine oil at one point. Nice to see it coming to fruition James. Most excellent thread.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Just had an enjoyable period reading all of this rebuild. Brought a few memories back. I could almost smell the old engine oil at one point. Nice to see it coming to fruition James. Most excellent thread.
Thanks, glad to see it provides enjoyment.
As far as "fruition" goes I've possibly been a bit over optimistic there, likely a few years yet. Though I think I am going to bench test the engine as it is just to see if it runs rather that bolt it in and find it doesn't.

I think the wheels being redone will be a major milestone personally.

Have you rebuilt any of these? I'm always after advice from anyone who has.....

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
After an annoying period getting spares and finding they are wrong I decided to make a start on something anyway.
Stripped one of the suspension struts today.
Some rust on the stainless section I was pleased came away with use of 800, 1000, 1200 and then 1500 emery cloth and hasn't pitted. £152 saved there which was a big relief (also the difference between the project carrying on and not carrying on).

Internally all good. Top seal destroyed as expected so will need new ones of those, fork oil and that's it. Dust seals good after a clean.

Going to sand, spray and clear coat the forks before reassembly and make them look a little more snazzy.
Also interestingly there's a top adjustment feature which does no adjusting as the thread doesn't locate into anything. Wonder if they have been bodged at some point?

Nice to have done something on a day I lacked motivation!

IMG_20231001_174718.jpgIMG_20231001_174715.jpgIMG_20231001_174701.jpgIMG_20231001_174653.jpg