boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,
Excellent work mate. How do the stabilisers effect the boat and why do they need to move. Sorry probably a very daft question.
HI Scottie that's not a daft question an its pleases me to see you takin an intrest in what im tryin to build.Well when its rough wheather on the sea the stabilizers work in effect like an aircraft ailerons when the ship rolls to say the port side the stab's tilt upwards forcein the water under to give the ship lift an the stab on the startbord side is tiled downwards so in effect its forcecing the water over the stab so in effect the stab is tryin to pull the ship downwards so to right the ships roll an the same effect is happening on the other stabilizer but this happen fairly quickly so the ship wont turn an roll over an sink best I can exsplain it an it works the same on a model as remember this model will be sailin in the same scale of water as the real ship thanks for your intrest Scottie
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Getting technical now with these lastest additions Chris. That drawing of the A frame was a step too far for me .:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
HI Scottie that's not a daft question an its pleases me to see you takin an intrest in what im tryin to build.Well when its rough wheather on the sea the stabilizers work in effect like an aircraft ailerons when the ship rolls to say the port side the stab's tilt upwards forcein the water under to give the ship lift an the stab on the startbord side is tiled downwards so in effect its forcecing the water over the stab so in effect the stab is tryin to pull the ship downwards so to right the ships roll an the same effect is happening on the other stabilizer but this happen fairly quickly so the ship wont turn an roll over an sink best I can exsplain it an it works the same on a model as remember this model will be sailin in the same scale of water as the real ship thanks for your intrest Scottie
chris

Thanks for the explanation Chris.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I’m blown away Chris :smiling4:,
its coming along really nicely. Interesting to read about the stabilisation of the ship, you certainly know your stuff.

what do you use to solder your brass with?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Getting technical now with these lastest additions Chris. That drawing of the A frame was a step too far for me .:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
HI John I only hope its not a step to far for me as well as the A FRAME you see is only a practice one NOW ive got to make all four properly oh dear just got to hope I can get em right I may have to enlist the service's of SWMBO :rolling: :smiling:
Interesting Chris, never thought they moved!
Well Bob yes they alternate when one side lot are down the other side are up an then the oppisite

• Wow
Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I’m blown away Chris :smiling4:,
its coming along really nicely. Interesting to read about the stabilisation of the ship, you certainly know your stuff.

what do you use to solder your brass with?
HI Si yes I know a little to get me through an how the stablizers work an glad you find it intresting as I don't want to bore anybody an have them fallin asleep on me lol:smiling::rolling: an some people use silver solder to make their A FRAMES but I cant afford that as its exspensive so I just use the normal solder fitted complete with the flux built in an I find its just as strong how's that
chris

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Chris do you have any idea how much the hole ship will weigh when completed.
Pete.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris do you have any idea how much the hole ship will weigh when completed.
Pete.
HI Pete honestly I don't know as im tryin to build her with the lightest an strongest materials as possible but i should think she will wheigh in at about 100 lbs but thats when she is togeather an their will be two people lifting her as when I want to lift my Norfolk in the water I have several people who all want to do the lifting to put her in the water an I think they like to think they are takin part but very nice of them to but just got to hope they don't drop her but when she in her half stages about 50 1bs each but again this is just a guess thanks for your intrest
chris

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hello all time for a small update on whats happening on her an as Ian M said now the fun stuff starts its getting complicaited now but im enjoyin the challenge
an all this wk I have been planning how these 4 prop sharfts are goin to be fitted on her.An its been a bit of a nightmare due to the plans show two different angles for the main A FRAMES plus the hull shape as its very awkward to do measuments on the curves as there are severall things that needed doin all at the same time or there would be problem's eg. bent stainless steel 16" prop sharft which just aint on as these cost to much for that to happen so its been mainly a thinkin week but in the end i have got over SOME of the probs ANYWAY some pics on nxt post
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
An to hold it in place I cut an made an stuck to the template some plastic angle which is gluded to the template an then when I was realy sure the template was in the correct position I drilled the plastic angles an screwed it to the hull with the A-FRAMES all fitted into the holes drilled into the hull
IMG_4764.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,
Some great work and clever solutions to make sure everything is lined up.
AN HI Scottie yes its really testing out the ole grey matter as you are right its all got to line up within about 1mm cheers for your comments