BoB Group Build - Andrew's 1/72 Airfix Spitfire and 109 'Dogfight Doubles'

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Evenon my little kindle I can see two brilliant aircraft being built here. Exhausts are funny things. I seem to try something different every time. Sometimes I like the result, other times, it's ok. Maybe I need a standard approach like you.
Colin

Coming from you I'll take that as a real compliment!

On the exhaust front, when I'm doing a rust finish I sometimes forego the dark wash and just hit the item with rust straight away, which makes it a bit 'sparkly' for want of a better phrase.

Thanks again.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
You should be rightly pleased with that. Nothing wrong with it at all. You even managed to keep the aerial mast intact, which many of us who've built spitfires would never confess to having snapped off....
Thanks Chris!!

Actually the Spitfire mast was fine. The 109 one, the less said the better....

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well done Andrew:cool:
The world of wingy things can be trickier than armour but youve made the leap admirably :thumb2:

As for imperfections....I have to agree that the smaller your model, the further it should be viewed from.

For example.....I‘m building a 1 72 truck which looks a bit naff up close, but when viewed from next doors shed, it looks excellent :thinking::smiling5::smiling5:.....

Thanks Si. Hope all is well with you?

Thank you very much for the feedback but like Rick I think you need to visit the optician!! Next doors shed! Good point. I'll try looking at them from one end of the garden to see how it looks!!

Take care and stay safe.

ATB

Andrew

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So the 109 is all decalled up.

Went much quicker this time and did it in one evening, although I think 63 is slightly ridiculous!! :anguished: And far too many for my liking were smaller than the size of a pinhead.....:cold-sweat:

Another 'interesting' quirk was that over half were on the port side, whereas they were fairly evenly spread out on the Spit.

I did manage to lose three really small ones though. One just disappeared - no idea where it went. Two somehow came off the brush in between me picking off the backing paper and going to put them on the model. Anyone else have this problem or is it my incompetence/inexperience? Fortunately they're so small you need an Optivisor to see that they're missing! :smiling5:

The good news is that I had only one minor ridgeline under a big decal, unlike the Spit, so I can get it right if I'm careful!!

ACW as usual.

Yours

Andrew

50384991141_36b9450c0f_b.jpg
50385171497_dc89f4c2fc_b.jpg
50384991856_0a5fb295a9_b.jpg
50384992721_8359d0e565_b.jpg

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
And here are the two protagonists side by side after the decals were sealed with a coat of satin varnish!

Next up weathering - not that I'm at all worried......:cold-sweat::worried:

ATB

Andrew

50387270026_c7aee11f92_b.jpg

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good Andrew.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I agree totally with 453....Looking good!

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
John, thanks for stopping buy and the feedback.

Much appreciated.

Andrew
Ron

Thank you very much. They're not going to win any prizes but I'm nonetheless pleased with how they turned out so far and I've got to start somewhere.

ATB

Andrew

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Next up weathering - not that I'm at all worried......:cold-sweat::worried:

First, that pair are coming along very nicely!

Second, don't sweat about weathering. Just keep it minimal.

Last edited:
Reactions: JR

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
First, that pair are coming along very nicely!

Second, don't sweat about weathering. Just keep it minimal. That Spitfire was delivered to No 609 Squadron on 30 September and shot down of 8 October (killing Dundas), so it hardly had time to get well used. It probably had less than 12 hours on it.
I haven't checked Wick's Bf 109, but it looks pretty clean in most pictures.
Thanks Steve, much appreciated.

On the weathering front I have an idea to keep it simple. But even my wife though said they look too clean - perhaps there is hope for her yet!

Also the Airfix instructions and other material online says he was shot down on 28th November 1940. Have they got it wrong?

Thanks again.

Andrew

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Also the Airfix instructions and other material online says he was shot down on 28th November 1940. Have they got it wrong?

Thanks again.

Andrew

Nope, I have!

I wrote the date at which the aircraft went to 609 Squadron. Dundas was indeed shot down in it and killed on 28/11/40....MY BAD.

Still, it had only been operational for about seven weeks.

I'll edit the original post to avoid any more confusion :smiling3:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nope, I have!

I wrote the date at which the aircraft went to 609 Squadron. Dundas was indeed shot down in it and killed on 28/11/40....MY BAD.

I'll edit the original post to avoid any more confusion :smiling3:
Thanks Steve. Researching this has been an eye-opener from my usual quickbuild kits.

The biggest one was coming across a site that lists the production, delivery and fate info of all(?) Spitfires. Quite bonkers really....

Thanks again.

Andrew

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The production site is a good source. I still use the original paper serial lists as well.

The small print is my excuse for getting the wrong date :smiling3:

IMG_2352.JPG

FTR is 'failed to return' on Dundas's fatal flight. I can't even remember what the last entry means!

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
The production site is a good source. I still use the original paper serial lists as well.

The small print is my excuse for getting the wrong date :smiling3:

View attachment 399062

FTR is 'failed to return' on Dundas's fatal flight. I can't even remember what the last entry means!
Thanks Steve. Can't even begin to imagine how many books you must have!!!

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I wouldn't bother with much weathering on the 109. Apparently they were given a good clean each time they landed. Spit and Polish Luftwaffe !
Nice models by the way.
John.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I wouldn't bother with much weathering on the 109. Apparently they were given a good clean each time they landed. Spit and Polish Luftwaffe !
Nice models by the way.
John.
Thanks John for the feedback and the info. I have a plan that will tone the newness down a bit but certainly don't intend to go overboard.

ATB

Andrew