Bob's Dragon 1/35: StuG 111 Ausf G

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Yes Bob,

A little upset as the check was late again...Are you having probs with the post??? It's the third time since the beginning of the year……...

Seriously though, you are doing a great job on this and that Dragon waffle doesn't look to bad for being molded on the kit. It appears they have nicely broken up the uniformity of it too. Top work Sir!!!

Prost
Allen

Reactions: JR

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks all

Was beginning to wonder if you had all had enough of my StuG ramblings :rolling:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Bob i think what Pete was saying is that he's got a lot on his plate at the moment. Not that the forum was overloaded with StuG stuff ;)

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Bob i think what Pete was saying is that he's got a lot on his plate at the moment. Not that the forum was overloaded with StuG stuff ;)
Yes, that's right Alan. Sorry Bob, should have been clearer.
Pete

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Always time for a Stug, Bob

Just don't always know which one next!

Hopefully some serious modulation once I get back in the garage.

And I can start the base too, if the Air Brush is out of bounds.

keep up "bugging" us with Stug esque stuff, especially engines as they aren't the stuff you see everyday

Regards

Steve H

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Steve :thumb2:

Look forward to your next installment!!

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
Only just found this Bob- should’ve known your peculiar StuG madness would find another outlet!
Good work so far- resin can be a b*tch sometimes, that CMK stuff looks like the same dense shiny stuff that Verlinden used to supply. I much prefer the softer stuff that Legend or Black Dog produce- tends to be dustier, but easier to cut & sand. Jakko’s idea of paring away with a knife is a good one- get it close, and finish off with a final sand.
Keep it coming sir!

Reactions: JR

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Hi Bob, the stug is looking good, been a bit under the weather of late, so haven't been on here as much, still less making any progress on my Stug!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Jakko’s idea of paring away with a knife is a good one- get it close, and finish off with a final sand.
I prefer scraping, it produces less dust.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Alistair, the resin parts have hard and large stubs which i tried to cut with a razor saw, hard work. Using the mini drill thingy with a sanding disc was so much easier. Will have to use a blade and file to get close and will not forget the dust mask!!

Hi Graeme, many thanks and hope you are feeling better.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Terrific update Bob. You have opened up a can of worms about the radio colour. There are whole forums dedicated to the subject of radio equipment. I tend to use a bit of artistic license when I paint them as there are so many varieties. On the whole I paint the case black. The facia is either black, light grey or light blue grey. As for the dials and knobs then its up to you. I'm sure it will look the DB's once done.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Steve, a large can at that! I have seen the radio brackets in ivory, green and black??

Thanks for the comment

I have asked Wolfgang Zimmerman who co wrote the 2 vol StuG books for help including the interior colours. The books for some reason do not mention the interior?

Some say the floor was red oxide and everthing else ivory, some say the floor, gun carrige, hull walls red and superstructure ivory?? I have seen the gun and breech green??

Doing my head in for sure!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Steve, a large can at that! I have seen the radio brackets in ivory, green and black??

Thanks for the comment

I have asked Wolfgang Zimmerman who co wrote the 2 vol StuG books for help including the interior colours. The books for some reason do not mention the interior?

Some say the floor was red oxide and everthing else ivory, some say the floor, gun carrige, hull walls red and superstructure ivory?? I have seen the gun and breech green??

Doing my head in for sure!

As in life very few things are black and white. There will always be variations on a common theme. As long as you dont paint it pink with orange spots and stick with the general optional colour schemes you will always be able to argue your reasoning.

As for the build it really is coming along a treat. Wonderful work sir.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Sorry Bob, missed your update

Moulded waffle looks good

How's it going with the engine? Photos?

I'm with Jakko on resin cleanup - scraping with a knife blade removes a lot of material without generating dust