Brian's 1/48 Dkm u-Boat Type Viic U-552

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Coming along right grand Brian, enjoying following this build.
I was going to mention no bags of spuds under the bunks!!! Food and general provision stored absolutely everywhere.
Spoke to a few of todays submariners and their moan was rubbish stored back aft and the subsequent smell. (And a mere 1 minute to shower!!!)

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Spoke to a few of todays submariners and their moan was rubbish stored back aft and the subsequent smell. (And a mere 1 minute to shower!!!)
Yeah fresh water is even more of a premium/precious on a sub, it was bad enough the waffoo's nicking it all for washing the helicopter on the surface ships :tears-of-joy:

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
On the Leander's when I was a sprog I was boiler room stoker and had 2 evaps making as much as 1.5 tonne an hour but that was taken up by the main boilers

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
On the Leander's I was a sprog I was boiler room stoker and had 2 evaps making as much as 1.5 tonne an hour but that was taken up by the main boilers
A personal thank you from me! My last war canoe was the Euryalus, (F15). Drafted on for a 12 month stint and came off her 40 months later. No complaints, cracking ship, cracking crew and we even had two pilots for most of the trip. Could usually find me in the sick bay!!!! Being trained up by the doc as my next draft was a SAR unit!!! (And he had the only coffee machine outside of the wardroom). Mind you, I did partake of the engine room pot mess on many an occasion only cost me the occasional flight, (if willing) in the mighty petrol pigeon!!!!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Fresh Water? In the MN. we had an Atlas Fresh Water Generator - used cooling water from the main engine ( a partial pressure evapoator ). We made around 22 tonnes a day - but only used about 15! After a long passage, all the storage tanks were full - so we overflowed it into the engine room, until about 250mm deep. added a couple of buckets of pine scented soogee & let the rolling & pitching do the work - cleanest tank tops ever seen & a scent of pine when you came into the engine room ( for a few days at least! ) This ony happened on long passages.
Dave

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Steam turbine main engines use a lot of fresh water and we had 2 also we had to test for the slightest salt content using silver nitrate if any at all detected we had to dump the lot to bilge we never had full tanks :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
We had 3 water systems - sani water, sea water used for flushing the WCs, - washing water, fresh water, used for showers, sterilised by UV, - potable water, drinking water supplied to the boilers, galley, sick bay & various cold water fountains - sterilised by UV light & trace chlorine added. This was for around a crew of 35-45.
The raw water was also used to top up all the cooling systems. The boilers were heated by exhaust gas, steam used for heating. Fresh water generated by the cooling water from the main engine - we had a very high plant efficiency. No oil was pumped overboard, it was separated & added to main engine fuel. Rubbish was burnt in a fancy incinerator - the only thing that went over the side was tin cans & bottles. A small sewage system treated effluent. We were as green as was possible, and this was in the 80s..............
Dave

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
We had 3 water systems - sani water, sea water used for flushing the WCs, - washing water, fresh water, used for showers, sterilised by UV, - potable water, drinking water supplied to the boilers, galley, sick bay & various cold water fountains - sterilised by UV light & trace chlorine added. This was for around a crew of 35-45.
The raw water was also used to top up all the cooling systems. The boilers were heated by exhaust gas, steam used for heating. Fresh water generated by the cooling water from the main engine - we had a very high plant efficiency. No oil was pumped overboard, it was separated & added to main engine fuel. Rubbish was burnt in a fancy incinerator - the only thing that went over the side was tin cans & bottles. A small sewage system treated effluent. We were as green as was possible, and this was in the 80s..............
Dave
How the other half live!! ;) :smiling2:
On a war canoe, water! Propulsion gets priority. Been on water rationing before when the Evap’s have been playing up.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I forgot to mention the swimming pool, en suite showers, and the steward served 5 course meals! Against this was a minimum of 5 months away from home, with only few hours time off - I've been to Tahiti ( Papeete ) 5 times, but never managed a run ashore - maintenance on the main engine, after 30 days+ at continuous full power ( 12,000nm ), was priority. Not strictly continuous - we had the Panama Canal transit in the middle!
Dave