British Desert Rat Desert Storm 1991. 120mm

Mike Mortimore

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michael
Hi Guys,
I'm going back to something that I started a couple of years ago when some of us were else where on the internet.... (MM).
Because of the scale I need assistance is sourcing some parts if they are available in this scale.
Looking for a 120 mm SA 80 Rifle. The one supplied is not a good representation. Have some lead foil (from wine bottles) to use for the helmet chin straps. Should also be a sling on the rifle.

Cheers Mike :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

Mike Mortimore

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michael
Peter,
I've never painted anything this big before, well out of my comfort zone.. I'll give it my best shot.......

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
I'm definitely not a figure painter but I do enjoy watching others tackle this very difficult part of our hobby.
Jim

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Mike.
Been trying to pick my brains about the SA80.Mitches Military models might be able to help.I know Rob at Imperial gallery used to have a modern brit with SA80 but i believe Victory miniatures have it now.If you contact these folks they might just supply an SA80.Hope that helps a bit.
Richard.

Mike Mortimore

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michael
Hi Jim,
I think its a problem across the board for us Military Armour/Soft Skin modelers. Peter our resident figure painter has inspired me to get off my a..e and get this
finished.
Although the figure depicts a ''Desert Rat'' I'm doing it as a Royal Marine Sgt, ( I served in the Gulf War as a Sgt) We had no desert coloured rank badges so used our green ones from our 'jungle camos' which we were issued when we deployed. Issued with desert camms when in theatre..... typical MOD planning........

Mike Mortimore

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michael
Hi,
Here are some of my references. Trousers, Shermague , and ''sweat rag'' These are 2 figures I found on the internet. Webbing we used were the new chest webbing but in plain green, not the cammo stuff . We also mixedour desert/jungle cammo uniforms........

Regards Mike :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

Mike Mortimore

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michael
Hi Richard,
Been in contact with Rob, and have secured a SA 80. Thank you again for the info...:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Michael,
I painted this figure a few years back. I am looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Mike Mortimore

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michael
Hi Michael,
I painted this figure a few years back. I am looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Scottie,
Hope I can do it justice. Some minor modifications.... a green beret as I served in the First Gulf War. Managed to secure a new SA 80. Original one not to brilliant.

Mike Mortimore

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michael
MRG BRAVO 7 Armd Wksp REME

Rough Engineering Made Easy........

Reconise the cap bades?????? Both my sons. Ian the Sgt was in the First Gulf War working on helicopters in Saudi. Retired 6 years ago as a WO 1 Adrian did P Company, L/Cpl in the picture, is now a Captain at Bulford with a Signals Regiment. Being promoted Major later this year. His wife is a Lt Col in the Corps of Signals..... Officers in the family.......

Regards Mike :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping: