British Naval 12lb cannon (1858)

C

CDW

Well this is my next endevour ... picked up from a charity shop for a couple of quid last year.

Ian said there will be enough going on in it to warrant a diorama status even though it's technically an artillery peice.

View attachment 73159

View attachment 73160

View attachment 73161

The wood isnt the best of quality and breaks easily with the grain so care is needed to trim all the rough bits down and get the bits to fit level.

Not too sure about the figures, theyre a bit too rough cast to make anything of, will see what HAT industries has in this era

I'm going for a realistic appearance rather than a clean "museum" type piece so after research on artillery of this time it seems the cannon itself was daubed black and the wooden mount was either painted or stained with something charcoal/grey coloured.

The decking will be wooden but hopefully ill be able to create a worn look to it.

SAM_0656.JPG

SAM_0657.JPG

SAM_0658.JPG

Last edited:
M

mobear

the figures look ace,think i may keep an eye on progress with this colin;)

mobear

Reactions: CDW

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A tip for the Dried up wood. I guess its due to it sitting in the box in a warm place for to long. pop them in a bowl of water for an hour or two. Take them out and lay them out on a tea towel. Place another towel over it and then some flat heavy object to hold them flat. That should give the wood a bit of life and stop them cracking.

Erm, what scale is this if I may ask.

Ian M

C

CDW

Good tip mate, I have some ''planking'' drying out after a good steam at the mo.

Should have done it with the first lot... Ah well :smiling3:

It says 1/30 scale on the box but it seems a huge approximate, the figures work out as 1/27 I think I'll go for some plastic figures as the cannon itself is close to 1/32.

First Name
Andy
Hi Colin,

I have only just noticed this one trying to sneak through, it looks like a nice little set so am now going to look and see if there is any popcorn in your little shop... ;)

Andy...

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I nearly bought this set, but was put off by the castings. Interesting to see what you make of it Colin.

Si:smiling3:

C

CDW

\ said:
I nearly bought this set, but was put off by the castings..
Yeah they're not exactly the best, but I've spent about an hour on each with a scalpel and some tippex and rescribed bits, filled bits and chopped bits about. Ive taken the stands off the figures and rebuilt their feet.

In reality the whole thing is a poor fit, every bit of wood i've handled so far has needed sanding or reshaping ... you would be better getting some nice wood and making it up yourself ... the wood is all going to be painted/stained so not a massive issue:smiling3:

Still it's all part of the challenge eh .. im enjoying it to be honest.

Im puzzled by the uniform, it's showing red jackets on the box but there's only a reference to royal marines on tintergoogle wearing red ... all the artillery guys seemed to wear blue jackets over white/cream trousers and shirts

Anyone ?????

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
As far as I can tell it is a blue frock coat with naval buttons.

Si:smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Colin, nice to see something a bit different....and this fits the bill perfectly.

P

Paul P

Colin its got figures in it and wooden bits, whats not to like im in for the duration ;) what scale is it

Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks like a really interesting kit Colin.

I'll enjoy watching this one progress.

Cheers

Paul

S

Sky Raider

I like it Colin. Stuck in a fireplace, that will clean out the chimney lol :P

Andy

C

CDW

\ said:
I like it Colin. Stuck in a fireplace, that will clean out the chimney lol :P Andy
Ha ha ha ... It does look like it now you point it out ... Nice one!

:smiling3:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
that certainly looks different, wish i could find stuff like that in charity shops

C

CDW

\ said:
that certainly looks different, wish i could find stuff like that in charity shops
I'm not over-lucky in charity shops such as the likes of peter on here but occasionally there's something.

Seems I'll be having to use the figures that came with the kit anyway as my local plastic pusher seems to have stopped doing 1/32 HAT industries stuff and has no stock left.

Like I said I'll be attempting a realistic diorama and not a polished museum type job so after some research I've painted the outside area of the hull in black and cream and the inside grey with a slightly dirty deck, started painting the figures after a major chop and revamp.

Will pop some photos up tomorrow when its all dried.

B

Bunkerbarge

I think you will be surprised at just how good you can get the white metal figures with a bit of patience and a good paint job. I would give them a good spray acrylic priming coat and then enjoy having a play with some shading and highlighting. I don't think you will do better with any other figures and may well have to extensively change the clothing or hair etc.

Let's face it, if you do away with the figures and repalce the wood there isn't much left of the kit!! :smiling3:

First Name
Richard
OK Colin

i am in for the ride on this one

cheers Richi