British Naval 12lb cannon (1858)

P

Polux

It's a very interesting choice.

It's an exciting change, don't think Colin? Those kits seems to be more "mature".... :rolleyes:

Always I feel related with your builds, so you will have a devout follower ;)

Good luck!

Polux

Reactions: CDW
C

CDW

\ said:
let's face it, if you do away with the figures and repalce the wood there isn't much left of the kit!! :smiling3:
You're right mate, ive added a few little bits of balsa that the kit hasnt included after a bit of research.

I'm battling on with it ...enjoying it as we should do .... Its a nice challenge:smiling3:

Thanks all for the comments.

First Name
Andy
\ said:
Just seen this one Colin I'm now sat down with my popcorn
Did you use Colin's shop, I popped in there and he has re-stocked his popcorn machine so we have plenty, plus, I think he's cooking up some fried chicken for later too... ;)

M

mobear

need dry roasted nuts to throw at him for when he slows down lol

mobear

C

CDW

Well i kept getting hit by dry roasted peanuts so i thought i'd better give an update.

Spent a fair bit of time sorting the figures out, a bit of shaping, trimming and re-carving done .. top that with some filler and they're "sort of" ok. Have just given the skin a coat to see where needs attention (if any)

View attachment 73422

View attachment 73423

The cannon has been built and hasn't turned out too bad, added some extra wood supports,

started as this ...

View attachment 73424

and have tried to reproduce the rivet/nail heads holding the metal strapping and plates on (the plates were scratches from card and round sprue cut into slices, the larger 'heads' are the rounded ends of sprue.)

One of the cracks that occurred as a result of the wood being to dry (as Ian mentioned) has been left ... it looks like damage through use to me so it stays as is:smiling3:

The finished item (bar some weathering extras and blending when in situ)

View attachment 73426

View attachment 73427

And some balls:smiling3:

View attachment 73425

Fried chicken available at the kiosk. :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

View attachment 73428

View attachment 73429

View attachment 73430

SAM_0661.JPG

SAM_0662.JPG

SAM_0663.JPG

SAM_0665.JPG

SAM_0675.JPG

SAM_0679.JPG

SAM_0680.JPG

SAM_0681.JPG

SAM_0682.JPG

M

mobear

looking really good colin,now can you throw them back i`m still hungry mate lol

mobear

B

Bunkerbarge

I always like a model that makes you think and this one has it in spades. Just imagine trying to adjust the angle of this gun by hitting the wedge below the breech with a very large hammer. That initially seems quite comical but then when you consider a guy is trying to do that on a very small wooden deck that is heaving about alarmingly rapidly, he is surrounded by a cacophony of hell on earth, surrounded by exploding shards of wood that is cutting his mates to shreds and he is trying to keep his stance while standing in large quantities of flowing blood in his bare feet. It suddenly doesn't seem quite so comical.

Great model though and I think the figures are going to come together very nicely.

C

CDW

Thank you guys.....

Richard ... That certainly makes you look at in a different light... Going from sailing along nicely on a lovely summers day to paddling around in your shipmates liquids whilst dodging projectiles is a mind opener.

The figures look like they'll give a decent enough representation to compliment the dio, hopefully if my painting skills are up to it:smiling3:

The pictures seem to heighten the effect of the weathering, its more subtle in real life, I'll tone it back a bit when the cannons all roped in though...

After looking at historic pictures of these cannon, they weren't in the best shape even when in service so I've left it slightly rough looking, as they were just rough cut from a suitable slab/block of wood.

P

Paul P

Doing a great job here Colin, I think the figures will come out well, looking forward to more

Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You need a monkey. preferably brass....

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Nice Colin. You going to hang some stocking either side mate hohoho

First Name
Aaron
Nice scene Colin...Ians comment reminds me of a saying my grandfather use to say...cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.

B

Bunkerbarge

Looking really good. I think you have made a great job of a fairly basic kit and made a very effective display out of it. It's also good to see different mediums used in a model and how the properties of each can be used to their best advantage.