Britsh 25 PDR. Field Gun & Quad Gun Tractor

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Steve, good choice on giving it a rest...watching a group of burly guys bending over in a scrum than yourself bending over the carpet is much better. :smiling6:

A good R & R in between building is always good.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Its from Armourfast. Looks like a Panzer III Ausf L or a hybrid of various Ausf's. Very little detail on it and no instructions or decals. I decided to build it as a rest from fine detailing, research, scratch building etc and to use as a practice piece for the new painting techniques I will be using on the main build. Not sure of its scale but its 1 70ish.
Should be 1/72. Armourfast isn’t exactly the best easy-assembly kits you can buy — the Italeri ones (look at the recent StuG III thread for an example of one) are far better, in my experience.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

:smiling2::smiling3::smiling5::smiling:Brilliant Richard and a cracking result to boot:thumb2:
Cheers Jakko

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Has your compressor got a water trap? Have you drained the tank?

Pete

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
I am not technically minded I am afraid Pete. This is what I have

IMG_0467.JPGIMG_0468.JPG

Last edited:
D

Dave S4

Looking splendid thus far. I admire your dedication with the numerous extras and embellishments.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Afternoon mate,
A very long, interesting catch up! You’ve put In so much work...truly impressed with your additions buddy:thumb2:

I have a little experience with fault finding on Pnuematics ( 25+yrs)....that is indeed a moisture separator on your compressor. Highly doubt moisture in your airline is your problem. Moisture will occur in compressed air systems, particularly if your ambient air is moist so it’s always good practice to drain your tank every once in a while.
But if you still think there may be water present, take the airline off the airbrush, put a dry piece of kitchen paper over the airline and let it blow for 5 mins. If the paper towel is wet, there’s your problem.
Looking at your green spray lines on the PzIII, and the way the paint has spider legged out, I think maybe your paint mix is too watery or your pressure is too high? Not being familiar with you comp/airbrush I might be way off...but it’s a starting point.

Hope this helps

Reactions: JR

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Nothing like a quickie to keep the enthusiasm going, that little Cromwell I built was like that, no additions just throw it together and paint.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
There does look to be some water in your moisture trap. Have you drained the compressor tank? ( Brass valve underneath on the opposite side to the labels ).

Pete

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Really top drawer stuff Stevie!! Your work is fantastic and time consuming. In the end this thing will be so fine. Just don't get too carried away with the dark side or you could end up doing an Anakin on us…….

Prost
Allen

PS, sorry I can't help out with your compressor buddy...

Reactions: JR

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Hi Steve, Just had a read through from the start, impressive detailing & scratchery.
The airbrush problems could be water drawn in from the atmosphere getting into the water trap & down the tube to the airbrush. There should be a valve on the bottom of the water trap to release it, or just turn the pressure valve to blow it out, I've had the same problem. Adjusting the pressure or the thinning of the paint may fix the paint problems, just have to experiment with it.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Thank you all for your help with the airbrush. This is where I am at the moment.

Firstly the rear was opened up and cleaned out. The whole of the outside of the compressor was then cleaned thoroughly.

IMG_0467.JPG

The pressure valve was taken out and a cloth inserted inside to clean out the reservoir but it was dry

IMG_0468.JPG

Next I cleaned out the hose and there was a bit of water here. So I took off the old hose and put on a new one. No matter what pressure it was on the air flow was not consistent out of the airbrush end of the hose. It was like a constant putt putt putt putt. Dont know if it is supposed to be like this

IMG_0470.JPG

I tried Vallejo and Badger acrylics in the airbrush. I also tried .5mm and .3mm needles. I also tried a variety of pressures. However what ever I did the result was the same. Paint splatters to start with then into a cloudy line which turns more into dot dot dash with the irregular airflow and then more blow outs.

IMG_0471.JPG

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated but I am thinking the compressor is knackered

Steve

Last edited:

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
... it looks like there is water in your air tubing..... maybe there is a leak ??

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Just caught up Steve and the scratchery is fantastic, love the springs.:smiling::thumb2:

Sorry to read about the compressor problems, I'm no expert either but judging by your observations maybe the shut off valve is malfunctioning or it might be the motor...
Looks you have a membrane compressor, maybe many times of usage near the time-limit of running it have worn down the motor.
Have had the same many years ago with a basic Revell compressor...

Maybe take it to a repair shop?

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Thanks again everyone. Si is the main man and has provided me with this link link that showed me how to strip the compressor down and clean it out. Top man:cool::cool:. Many thanks:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:. I now have no issues and greater control on the air pressure as well. This is how it was done

I took off the top of the compressor and it was full of crap so this was cleaned out with a brush and a cloth

IMG_0467.JPG

The next plate was cleaned off. The silicone plug was very carefully lifted up and the crap and holes underneath were completely cleaned out

IMG_0468.JPGIMG_0470.JPG

Under this plate was a small plate. As you can see it is slightly bent up. It should be flat covering the hole underneath. The black housing around this large valve was taken out and cleaned thoroughly as well

IMG_0471.JPG

So the plate was removed cleaned, turned over and screwed back. The whole thing was then reassembled. I am not very good at this sort of stuff but it was very easy so if I can do it anyone can

IMG_0473.JPG

Here are the results. No blow outs and a lot better control. I just need to mess around with needles and pressures to get those fine lines perfect

IMG_0474.JPG

The strength of the forum has shown through today. Thank you to everyone for your help and support

Steve

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Top news Stevie!!! I guess you picked the right day to give up sniffing glue. I hope the probs are gone for good.....

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Really glad that sorted your problem:smiling4: credit to the youtubers sharing their experience.

I’ve been a machine technician since I turned 18 (43 now), deal with all sorts of breakdowns and spend a lot of time fault finding on pneumatic control systems, steam pressure controls, vacuum systems etc....I don’t profess to know everything but I do know a spec of dirt in the wrong place or a dry seal can disable a state of the art £500,000 machine in seconds!

Again I’m glad your sorted....looking forward to seeing some paint flying soon:thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well done young Si.
Personally I'd have.....…...
yes you guessed it set fire to the b****y thing.
I can see every one now stripping down their compressors. Glad the compressor is working again.
There is one thing you should do Dr Rivet, and that is to get a " Catch All apron ". This seasons must have for all modellers. I myself use one and it had saved me countless hrs of examining the floor. Great work Steve, how on earth you do it is beyond me. :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
John.